TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 Toyota Tacoma 5 speed 4x4 ext cab with auto hubs. I have to back up, turn, back up some more, and still sometimes can't get it to disengage from 4x4 back to 4x2. I understand that it is possible to convert to manual hubs. Point me in the right direction to either a company or individual that has a complete "kit" or tell me exactly (be very detailed) what I need. I also acquired a 1993 single cab 5 speed pickup with lock out hubs as parts truck that I got when I purchased a 5x8 trailer. Everything is there, including the motor but blew a head gasket. What I paid for the trailer was a very good deal, the truck was a bonus that was under the shed along with the truck. Had to move the truck to get the trailer, told me if I wanted it, get it. Just crossing my fingers that somehow I can use the 1993.

Thanks for any help !!!

Johnny

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,439 Posts
No kits available for Tacoma. You have to find a salvage yard or somebody parting out that selling the complete spindles. CV shafts are different too.

·
Registered
187 Posts
The 1993 minitruck stuff won't work on the Tacoma.

If you want to convert yours, there's plenty of threads on it on this site--start searching and reading. But essentially, you need manual hub CVs, manual hub specific "hub body" for each side (presses into the knuckle/spindle with the bearing), and the manual hub lock outs. (You'll also need all the related nuts and bolts and seals etc.)

ORS was back doing the complete manual hub kits again.... are they back to not doing them? Seem to be available on their site....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just a little bit of info on the swap( and I do agree with it) is that with the manual hubs you'll get weaker CV shafts and less spline. You'll go from 26 to 23 and the manual have a step down collar on the outer shaft where it becomes about half it's normal diameter, but there's no biggie unless you you're hard wheeling.

·
Registered
15 Posts
And ORS does indeed still sell the kit. The ferg is a 100 on that. If your having problem with the disconnect check your air lines,the valves, the little mesh filters over the valves, your diff fluid(especially if you notice it more when its cold outside)all those things could be the problem. The solenoid are on the driver fender liner in front of brake booster. Those are quick and easy check.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts