TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm installing my 3" ome coils on my 99 tacoma. I have the 1/2" spacer in and I am having trouble getting the lower control arm to go down far enough to get the pin in the bottom of the shock. How the hell did you guys do it? I am doing this myself and the truck is on stands until I get that pin in. Help!

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
A couple of ways to do this.

The first is you can try using your stock bottle jack to push the UCA and spindle down. To do this you will need to prop your jack upside down on the top of your wheel well. Extend the jack and that should push the splindle down enough to move the LCA down enough to get the bottom shock bolt in.

Here's a pic:

If that doesn't work you will have to unbolt the lower ball joint. There are 4 bolts that hold it on. Once the ball joint is off, the LCA can be moved down as much as you want. Once you bolt the shock in, use a floor jack to move the LCA back up until you can get the lower ball joint bolts back in.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
I would use the jack method..........ligning the bj bolts back up can be a trick in and of it's self.

Oh and don't worry about the sway bar............just leave it hooked.

It is funny............one side of my truck falls in with no problem at all........i cxan do it by myself with no assistance from anyone or anything..............the other side is an absolute bitch...........normally conquered using two people and a giant ass pry bar :)

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
I've taken a large pry bar (spud bar) and placed it over the upper control arm and under the shaft the arm pivots on and pried the upper arm down to get the lower bolt in before and its worked quite well

and like was said above sway bar disconnected makes a huge difference

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
LOL I totally spaced on the sway bar last time I was messin with the COs. I kept wondering why it was being some a bitch to get back in, but I shoehorned it in finally. Damn I'm a dumbass sometimes :lmao:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Full_Tilt_Fud said:
I would use the jack method..........ligning the bj bolts back up can be a trick in and of it's self.

Oh and don't worry about the sway bar............just leave it hooked.

It is funny............one side of my truck falls in with no problem at all........i cxan do it by myself with no assistance from anyone or anything..............the other side is an absolute bitch...........normally conquered using two people and a giant ass pry bar :)

Probably because you don't disconnect the swaybar......

·
Registered
260 Posts
I am in the process of doing the same thing. The easiest way I found to do it was disconnect the sway-bar, and have someone press down on the wheel hub and it will work just fine. I ended up fucking up the upper ball joint from trying different methods, so I am doing both my upper bj's today. Do what I said and it will work just fine.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
lVlr_87 said:
Probably because you don't disconnect the swaybar......

I don't disconect it because the one time I tried the fucking link broke then I had to replace it.........

It is not that difficult to do it with it hooked up and it is a hell of alot better than replacing swaybar links everytime you have to pull the coilover.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
I am tempted :)

I do alot of highway driving though and it does come in handy for that LOL

·
Registered
456 Posts
Full_Tilt_Fud said:
I am tempted :)

I do alot of highway driving though and it does come in handy for that LOL
Yea, I do to and I ripped that sucker off about a year and a half ago, ended up chucking it in the scrap bin where it belongs.

By the way, the bottle jack works wonders.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts