TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've posted this over on CT and Yotatech and I'm putting it here as well to make sure I get as much info as possible before deciding to do this.

Vehicle is a 2002 4Runner SR5 4x4 automatic. I'm not looking for top performance but 225-230 at the wheels. I need it to be a reliable daily driver that I bolt the stuff on, setup, tune, and forget it.

After three weeks of reading on three message boards here's what I've come up with:

BOLT ON SOLUTION (easiest install, good performance but not maximum)
Get an additional injector kit either from TRD, or URD's new kit and get URD's AIC with timing control for tuning. With that solution here's what's needed:

a) TRD Supercharger
b) Additional Injector Kit (TRD or URD)
c) URD Additional Injector Controller with timing feature
d) AFR WB - URD's LC-1 and XD-16 Kit to monitor AFRs
e) 170 degree thermostat
f) OBDII BR-3 Scan Tool
g) URD AFR Sensor Calibrator

NON BOLT ON SOLUTION (harder to install, but provides the maximum performance possible)
a) TRD Supercharger
b) URD Fuel Upgrade Kit
c) URD MAF/Timing Calibrator (aka FTC)
d) URD AFR Sensor Calibrator
e) AFR WB - URD's LC-1 and XD-16 Kit to monitor AFRs
f) OBDII BR-3 Scan Tool

I'm leaning toward the additional injector route if I go through with this. So far the tally looks like it's approaching $5,000 which is hard to justify, but I'm still trying to decide. If I could do it in pieces it would be easier but from what I'm reading that can't be done without jeopardizing the motor. If I went through all this and still had pinging or something I'd be PISSED.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Youre also going to want to get the Level 10 upgrade with the auto tranny

·
Registered
836 Posts
It looks like you've got it mostly figured out, but don't pull the trigger just yet. URD will be releasing its own 7th injector kit any day now. It will be considerably cheaper than the TRD unit and will already have the proper controller in the kit. The AFR calibrator is not a must have item, but it will improve performance in closed loop at low boost levels and make the transition to open loop smoother. The 170* t-stat should also be considered optional. If you get your fuel and timing in proper tune, the stock t-stat is adequate. Just an FYI, your "Non-bolt on" solution does not necessarily offer the maximum performance. The current reigning king of HP with the TRD S/C is making 300+ rwhp with a setup similar to your "Bolt on" option + H2O injection. You and I have the same "wish list" with the exception that I'm already running the S/C and 2.2" pulley.

·
Registered
273 Posts
The URD fuel up grade kit is not that hard to install compared to the 7th and urd controller.

If anything it is easier and more straight forward. If I were to choose I would do the full URD fuel upgrade kit.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Breathegood said:
It looks like you've got it mostly figured out, but don't pull the trigger just yet. URD will be releasing its own 7th injector kit any day now. It will be considerably cheaper than the TRD unit and will already have the proper controller in the kit. The AFR calibrator is not a must have item, but it will improve performance in closed loop at low boost levels and make the transition to open loop smoother. The 170* t-stat should also be considered optional. If you get your fuel and timing in proper tune, the stock t-stat is adequate. Just an FYI, your "Non-bolt on" solution does not necessarily offer the maximum performance. The current reigning king of HP with the TRD S/C is making 300+ rwhp with a setup similar to your "Bolt on" option + H2O injection. You and I have the same "wish list" with the exception that I'm already running the S/C and 2.2" pulley.
So the URD 7th injector will have everything needed such as the proper contrtoller, injector, fuel pump, plugs, t-stat, etc? That'd definitely be the way to go. I've looked around and can't find any info on it at all other than one guy who tested it with Gadget.

After adding up all the stuff needed I was about to give up on this. I was at nearly $5600 including a valve body upgrade. That's just a little much so if URD is coming out with something better I'm all for it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
_BEN_ said:
The URD fuel up grade kit is not that hard to install compared to the 7th and urd controller.

If anything it is easier and more straight forward. If I were to choose I would do the full URD fuel upgrade kit.
I'm not at all comfortable cutting the stock fuel injector harness. If it was plug in, that'd be different. I'd have a VERY hard time selling the truck a few years down the road with the supercharger on it so I have to be able to just unbolt it and put it back to stock. People around here who drive 4Runners aren't into the performance stuff too much I'm afraid.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I heard back from Brian at URD tonight. He actually took the time to give me a call which says something to me about customer service. We talked for about 20 minutes on various options for what I'm looking for and he said the new URD 7th injector kit was what I was looking for. Without going in to too much detail it seems this might be just right for someone who's looking for a simple ease of use solution to the TRD SC fuel issues.

I'm gonna wait on this to see what it entails, but from talking to Brian it seems very reasonable.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Speedy said:
I heard back from Brian at URD tonight. He actually took the time to give me a call which says something to me about customer service. We talked for about 20 minutes on various options for what I'm looking for and he said the new URD 7th injector kit was what I was looking for. Without going in to too much detail it seems this might be just right for someone who's looking for a simple ease of use solution to the TRD SC fuel issues.

I'm gonna wait on this to see what it entails, but from talking to Brian it seems very reasonable.
Did he give you the "wait two weeks" line. He's been telling me that since October. Last I heard, the kit was ready, but Gadget had not yet written the installation instructions.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Breathegood said:
Did he give you the "wait two weeks" line. He's been telling me that since October. Last I heard, the kit was ready, but Gadget had not yet written the installation instructions.
Hmm, as a matter of fact yeah. Wonder what the deal is?

·
Registered
852 Posts
Just in case no one has seen it yet, URD has posted their 7th injector kit here. $899.99. Cheaper than the TRD 7th injector, at least.
The only catch I see is that it recommends calibrating it yourself. This is a "catch" for me, because I don't know the first thing about tuning fuel systems. :confused: The rest of you probably have that process wired...

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
wow - did you call? I email Gadget a while back and never heard a thing..guess a guy needs to call.

Speedy said:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
TBob said:
wow - did you call? I email Gadget a while back and never heard a thing..guess a guy needs to call.
No, I never called. They do seem to be spotty on answering e-mails at times, but all of mine have been answered. It may just take a coulpe days.

I've never tried calling, but I may test that out before buying to make sure I can get support if I need it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts