TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tackled front donahoes, went fine. (2002 dblcab)
Doing rear deavers the right side, no problems.

Left side has a front bolt next to gas tank that I spent 5 hours with and still could not get out! Tried various solvents, but the steel inner bushing was basically welded to the bolt and stuck to the rubber. I could not budge it. I hammered with sledge, and it would turn, but "with" the rubber. The way it appeared if I got the bushing and bolt to turn, but it broke away from rubber, I was stuck as you cannot bang the back of this bolt due to gas tank.

Any help would be great!

·
Registered
947 Posts
I hate getting in jams like this. Really sucks. Are you using an impact wrench? I had a simular problem with my old Toy, and the impact turned it fast enough that it broke away from the rubber. If you cant try this or already have, all I can say is keep working at it, maybe find a way to pry it using the head of the bolt. Just be carefull not be bend/break the mount.

If all else fails, remove the gas tank I guess. Maybe someone else will have a better solution.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
You are probably going to needs a saws all with a really good metal cutting blade or a grinder set-up for cutting. Work it in easy between the hanger and the spring and start :saw: . I would suggest the saws all because it doesn't spark and there is a risk of fire with the grinder. You will go threw a few blades with the saws all but take your time too not mess up the spring hanger. Also you will have to cut the bolt on both sides of the spring. Road salt is a PITA

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have sawzall, these grade 8 bolts are like a rock! I tried cutting, but real tough going on those bolts!

Any other ideas?????

Thanks for those who gave some input!

·
Registered
717 Posts
i think that if you are having that much trouble with it, your best solution would be to drop the gas tank like jhunter said. that in its self can be a pain but may help get you some leverage that you dont have with the gas tank in your way.

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
carl said:
I have sawzall, these grade 8 bolts are like a rock! I tried cutting, but real tough going on those bolts!

Any other ideas?????

Thanks for those who gave some input!

die grinder with a cutoff wheel. the only thing that slowed me down in doing mine was wating for 5 minutes for the compressor to catch up. cut the bolt on the front between the hanger and the spring.... then see if you can hit it out with a punch. if not then cut it in the same spot on the backside

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
I was a mad man and used a grinder with a thin cutting wheel and watched the sparks. If you are in a warm place wet some of the surfaces down like the gas tank. There is a low risk of fire and long as no fuel is leaking and your tank is in good shape. Take it easy though because there is still that risk. Other wise find different blades for your saws all. I have some bosh blades that cut a lot of steel before dieing also spray them down with oil as you go to keep the blades cool and cutting smooth. Don't use oil if you doing it with the grinder.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have sawzall brand.

What type of blades do I need? I heard about some diamond grit type that cut anything??

Also, how do you drop the tank?

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Try these tips out first. Don't use your saw as fast as it will go slow it down a bit. Don't push hard on it just light pressure and let the blade do the work. Oil you blade and the bolt it will keep it cooler and help with ware on the blade. I got my bosh ones at carter lumber for about $12 for a 5 pack and have been very happy with them. I will go out side and check what they are exactly. I know they cut 1/4" mild like butter.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't have any grind wheel. Just sawzall. I will try slowing down with oil. I am curious, what would a garage do in this case, or the dealer???

·
Registered
717 Posts
have you tried using any penetrating lubricant on the bolt?

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
carl said:
I don't have any grind wheel. Just sawzall. I will try slowing down with oil. I am curious, what would a garage do in this case, or the dealer???
Burn it or cut it out. Happens a lot around hear because the road salt works in and corrodes the metal sleeve to the bolt. When ever you do leaf work around here you make sure to have all new hardware and bushings. I sure it is just as bad if not worse where you live.

·
Registered
676 Posts
YES YES YES I JUST went through this with my alcan/saw install.... Got the passenger leaf in, the saws in... The pass gastank front bolt was like welded to the sleeve, we sawzawed for 30 minutes and barely scratched it, I used a 4 1/2" cutoff wheel on my grinder, it took it out in about 30 seconds.... I feel your pain brotha

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I may go get an angle grinder tomorrow. What exactly is that and what brand do you recommend? Yes I did use penetrating oil, PB blaster, nothing came close to loosening up.

Curious on the Angle grinder, any pictures of this tool?

thanks for all the help, as I was really feeling less than ideal after this afternoon of fighting one bolt that prevented me from getting the job done!

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
carl said:
I may go get an angle grinder tomorrow. What exactly is that and what brand do you recommend? Yes I did use penetrating oil, PB blaster, nothing came close to loosening up.

Curious on the Angle grinder, any pictures of this tool?

thanks for all the help, as I was really feeling less than ideal after this afternoon of fighting one bolt that prevented me from getting the job done!
I would watch out with the grinder. It sounds like you aren't that familiar with it and you can get yourself into trouble. If you must a 4 1/2" with 5/8" shaft and multiple position handle. I personally have a dewalt with the metal nose and have had it for a few years it is one of the best tools in the garage. Just watch out because the grinder can be touchy and jump on you all you can shatter a wheel all not good things some times.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I agree, get a face mask and some gloves using the grinder. For sure if you have never used one. The multiple handle idea is great. A handle will make it a lot safer, especially at this angle. Get good lighting and take your time. At the RPM these things function at, if a wheel breaks or it slips out of your hand it can cause major damage. I love/hate these things. They are great tools, but can do major harm. Let us know what goes on. Why is it always the last part of the project, and the bolt thats hard to get to that gets stuck? Crazy.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Just get a left hand drill :)

Yeah, what they said- Moron + grinder + confined space =

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
About this Discussion
25 Replies
11 Participants
MERCER FABRICATION
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing