TTORA Forum banner

Help with truck not starting

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  ARB1977 
#1 · (Edited)
EDIT
After cleaning the trminals for a good 1/2 hr, it started. I just think it is strange that it started before I cleaned them at first then after a little cleaning it didnt. Oh well..

After I changed my oil today (started it up afterwards) I decided top clean my battery cables as the positive one was covered in crud. After putting it all back together, the truck wont start. When I turn the key, i hear a click, but thats it. All of the other electronics works, (dash stuff, headlights,tail/stoplights). I checked all of the fuses and they are fine. I am wondering if it could be the alarm (prestige, not toyota) but when it kills the starter, there is no click when you turn the key. Like I said, the truck started just before doing this, so I must have done something but have no idea what. Also, the starter is only 1 year old, so I am thinkning it is not that. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#3 ·
joeylead said:
After I changed my oil today (started it up afterwards) I decided top clean my battery cables as the positive one was covered in crud. After putting it all back together, the truck wont start. When I turn the key, i hear a click, but thats it. All of the other electronics works, (dash stuff, headlights,tail/stoplights). I checked all of the fuses and they are fine. I am wondering if it could be the alarm (prestige, not toyota) but when it kills the starter, there is no click when you turn the key. Like I said, the truck started just before doing this, so I must have done something but have no idea what. Also, the starter is only 1 year old, so I am thinkning it is not that. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Clean the terminals more and make sure that it is a tight connection.

#4 ·
Everything I've heard is if you're hearing a clicking sound its the battery. I'd get a jump (another car or a battery jump, doesn't matter), if that works I'd replace the battery; if not, i'm not sure what the problem is, check your leads.

`98 Reg. cab., 2.8L 4x4, stock w/ 31.50 KUMHO all-terrain

#6 ·
joeylead said:
EDIT
After cleaning the trminals for a good 1/2 hr, it started. I just think it is strange that it started before I cleaned them at first then after a little cleaning it didnt. Oh well..
Another problem with corrosion is the cable itself. The corrosion tends to work its way up the cable underneath the insulation. I've had to cut mine back a couple of inches to get to clean copper once before. Coat your terminals with dielectric grease and get some protective covers also to avoid problems in the future.

#7 ·
akshunj said:
Another problem with corrosion is the cable itself. The corrosion tends to work its way up the cable underneath the insulation. I've had to cut mine back a couple of inches to get to clean copper once before. Coat your terminals with dielectric grease and get some protective covers also to avoid problems in the future.

i will get the grease tomorrow. It really bugs me as I had just cleaned the terminals in aug. Since I have the BL, I dont have much I can cut back if I ever needed to.

#8 ·
joeylead said:
i will get the grease tomorrow. It really bugs me as I had just cleaned the terminals in aug. Since I have the BL, I dont have much I can cut back if I ever needed to.
If you are getting build up on your posts you`ll need to clean more often.
Get a battery post brush (the kind that has the cone shaped brushes)
You need to be able to see shiney new metal on the inside of the clamps and around the battery posts.

#9 ·
joeylead said:
EDIT

Try adding alittle grease to the battery terminals. That will keep any chit from forming. Oooppppsssss repost sorry.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.