TTORA Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...052.2032075.2032078.2032099&parentPage=family

I'm running out of time here, so i need a quick fix for this wheeling trip to Gilmer.

Been working on a 24hr rotation, still working as i write this.

Was wondering if this type of adapter might power my CB radio since i don't have time this evening to mount the radio and connect the wires to the back of the cig. lighter plug, drill wholes to mount the brackets, etc.

Thanks.

·
Split it open-Eat it out!
659 Posts
hmmm...it looks like it would work in a pinch. How are you going to route your CB antenna

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Yes it will work.. Thats how i run my CB temp for other vehicles i take trips in...

I have it hard wired in my truck But when i travel in other vehicles on trips i used my extra wire harness that plugs into the back of my CB and run it to that cig. lighter plug.. I thought i would get a buzzing sound or pick up static but it seems to work good every time. I like to do that for trips because if i stay at a hotel or something i'm able to pull it out of the vehicle by just dissconecting the ant. and unpluging it from the cig. lighter and keep it inside the room..

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hmmm...it looks like it would work in a pinch. How are you going to route your CB antenna
I bought a cheapo magnet antena for this trip. I guess I'll place on top of the cab, 'til i can afford a real antena later on. I was told this is a good overall place for those cheapo-magnet antenas.

Is that correct?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes it will work.. Thats how i run my CB temp for other vehicles i take trips in...

I have it hard wired in my truck But when i travel in other vehicles on trips i used my extra wire harness that plugs into the back of my CB and run it to that cig. lighter plug.. I thought i would get a buzzing sound or pick up static but it seems to work good every time. I like to do that for trips because if i stay at a hotel or something i'm able to pull it out of the vehicle by just dissconecting the ant. and unpluging it from the cig. lighter and keep it inside the room..

Thanks Manny for responding. I guess I'll stop at radio shack after i get off work. That's what i needed to know since this will be a temporary fix 'til i can hardwire everything permanently behind the board.

Also, i was thinking in doing the same thing you do; kinda keeping two different sets, so that i can take one with me in another vehicles if needed.

By the way, do you still have that rear 3rd member for sale?

·
Registered
532 Posts
just wire your cb up directly to the battery. its less trouble than messing with the cig lighter (maybe not with that adapter you want to buy) and you can run the cb with the truck off. run the wires through the gromet under the dash by the fuse box.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
By the way, do you still have that rear 3rd member for sale?
Which one ???

The 4.10 i had awhile back (sold)
The 4.56 ?? Traded for another 4.10 diff to have re-geared to 4.88's
or
the 4.10 That i hadn't posted up yet that will be ready in a few weeks after i put the 4.88 dif in LOL

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
I just found a fuse slot in the fuse box that was hot when the acc was on and just jammed the wire in there with the fuse. Works good enough for me.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Which one ???

The 4.10 i had awhile back (sold)
The 4.56 ?? Traded for another 4.10 diff to have re-geared to 4.88's
or
the 4.10 That i hadn't posted up yet that will be ready in a few weeks after i put the 4.88 dif in LOL

The 4.56. I just wanted to have a spare one since I'm running 4.56 gears now.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
just wire your cb up directly to the battery. its less trouble than messing with the cig lighter (maybe not with that adapter you want to buy) and you can run the cb with the truck off. run the wires through the gromet under the dash by the fuse box.
thanks purity for your response. In my truck i guess that would be to the left, unless all trucks are set up the same way? This is what i want to do eventually, i just won't have time tonite after i get off work.

My plans are to get a decent antena later, maybe from firestick.com and also a swr meter to calibrate.

But for this trip i just need a quick plug-in fix for the weekend.

thanks.

·
Split it open-Eat it out!
659 Posts
yes a mag mount on the roof will work fine. I've gone that route many times. If you interested I've got a 4' firestick antenna that i'd let go pretty cheap. I currently have two and don't need both of them.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yes a mag mount on the roof will work fine. I've gone that route many times. If you interested I've got a 4' firestick antenna that i'd let go pretty cheap. I currently have two and don't need both of them.
sure man, i'll be interested.

pm sent.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...052.2032075.2032078.2032099&parentPage=family

I'm running out of time here, so i need a quick fix for this wheeling trip to Gilmer.

Been working on a 24hr rotation, still working as i write this.

Was wondering if this type of adapter might power my CB radio since i don't have time this evening to mount the radio and connect the wires to the back of the cig. lighter plug, drill wholes to mount the brackets, etc.

Thanks.
Ben, that will work but you will see this one right next to it on the display. This is the one I was talking about. I chose this one because the other one is a little too bulky and since I have a stick shift, it was going to hit the plug when ever I am in third; has happen before. Which ever will work.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...dapter+plug&kw=adapter+plug&parentPage=search

This one lets you just slip the wire in and it pinches them once you release the access buttons outside (not shown in the pic).

GL!
See ya mañana Jose.

·
Premium Member
5,955 Posts
power

I always carry a jump/booster pack with me...
It has a cigarette plug on it.
You can power it up, put the jump box in a back pack
then get a metal plate in your head and stick the antenna up there
that way you can talk no matter where you flop yer rig.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ben, that will work but you will see this one right next to it on the display. This is the one I was talking about. I chose this one because the other one is a little too bulky and since I have a stick shift, it was going to hit the plug when ever I am in third; has happen before. Which ever will work.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...dapter+plug&kw=adapter+plug&parentPage=search

This one lets you just slip the wire in and it pinches them once you release the access buttons outside (not shown in the pic).

GL!
See ya mañana Jose.
Hey Amigo,

that's a good point since i have a stick shift too. I'll make sure i measure before i leave the store.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I always carry a jump/booster pack with me...
It has a cigarette plug on it.
You can power it up, put the jump box in a back pack
then get a metal plate in your head and stick the antenna up there
that way you can talk no matter where you flop yer rig.
man, that's a great idea plus it wouldn't hurt to have a jump/booster for an emergency.

I'll look into that when $$$$ allows:D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts