TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
NEVER SERIOUS
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This new forum is quite confusing to a computer challenged individual like me. I hope I can figure it out before I smash my computer with a hockey stick. I can't find any SEARCH FOR "UNREAD MESSAGES TO ME" FEATURE. I AM SO CONFUSED, I have to go do something to relax.

·
www.madmav.com
547 Posts
ecar95 said:
This new forum is quite confusing to a computer challenged individual like me. I hope I can figure it out before I smash my computer with a hockey stick. I can't find any SEARCH FOR "UNREAD MESSAGES TO ME" FEATURE. I AM SO CONFUSED, I have to go do something to relax.
In this forum setup, you do not reply to post, but rather to threads. So there will not be messages to you, only to the thread. You can subcribe to a thread so you know when people are responding, and you can also set it up to automatically subscripe you to a thread you post in, but going to User CP, and changing the setting in 'Default Thread Subscription Mode'

·
www.madmav.com
547 Posts
valkyrie said:
I haven't found it either, and the "New Posts" link seems to be the only way to see active threads... I can't tell when looking at all the Bulletin Board topics which has somethig new.
Chris, Ready my post above, also, the icons to the left of the topics and threads tell you weither or not theres a new post and status of that thread. Knowing these and getting used to these will come with time.

·
Cracker
5,648 Posts
Ahhhh.... Is there any way at all (other than looking at the Quote) to tell which particular post someone is replying to or answering- like the reply to "#11"? In other words, if someone replies to a direct question it could be several posts down, and in a thread with many questions it may confuse me...

·
www.madmav.com
547 Posts
valkyrie said:
Ahhhh.... Is there any way at all (other than looking at the Quote) to tell which particular post someone is replying to or answering- like the reply to "#11"? In other words, if someone replies to a direct question it could be several posts down, and in a thread with many questions it may confuse me...
Just quoted them, instead of hitting reply, hit quote.

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
Maverick said:
Just quoted them, instead of hitting reply, hit quote.
Quoting is cool, but everyone should know that they don't have to quote the entire message for everyone to know what's going on! :D

Later,
....Mike

·
www.madmav.com
547 Posts
valkyrie said:
It says in the Forum FAQ that there are 4 display modes, one of which is "Linear (newest first)"... but I only see 3 and linear has no qualifier. Any ideas? I really hate hopping up & down pages...
Not sure what the 4th is, but linear is defaut and should be whats selected currently if yo havent changed it. What do you mean hopping up and down pages?

·
Cracker
5,648 Posts
Here is what the FAQ says:

What are the various thread display options?
When viewing a thread, you will be able to view the thread from a choice of four modes.

1. Linear Mode (Oldest First) - In this mode, posts are displayed chronologically from oldest to newest. Posts are shown in a flat mode so that many posts can be viewed simultaneously.
2. Linear Mode (Newest First) - This is the same as the above mode, except that posts are ordered in an opposite way (newest first).
3. Threaded Mode - In this mode, a tree is shown along with every post. This tree allows you to see the relationship each post has to others, in terms of who responded to whom. Only one post is shown at a time.
4. Hybrid Mode - This mode is a mixture of the linear and threaded modes. The post tree is displayed like in the threaded mode, but multiple posts are displayed simultaneously like in the linear modes.

Now, if you look up to the right you see a link for "Display Modes". There are only 3: Linear, Hybrid & Threaded. I am in linear, but the posts are shown with oldest at the top and newest at the bottom (option 1). I think I would prefer to see the newest at the top (option 2), but it seems I can't?

·
NEVER SERIOUS
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Maybe I will get it figured out but first impression of this format is it sucks. Why the heck can't you reply to an actual post/person instead of a thread. I can't even figure out who is talking/responding to who AND if they are talking to me. It will be very hard to keep track of any discussions you were in and almost impossible to figure out who is responding to your posts or just the thread. BRING BACK DELPHI.

·
Cracker
5,648 Posts
wahhh! Seriously, it was akward for me at first, but you'll get used to it. The basic format is that if you reply to someone, use quotes. If you're just chiming in, don't. Remeber how on Delphi if you wanted to chime in you ahd to reply to somebody/anybody just to get a word in? That made an alert for them, so they thought they ahd a reply when they didn't. That kind of pissed me off.

You can subscribe to a thread (just like delphi) so you are alerted to any new post. Give it time!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts