TTORA Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about buying the TRD Cold Air Intake. BUT I was looking at this thing and what makes in any better than the stock intake? It used the same port or air passage or however you wanna say it as the stock. Does it have something to do with the filter? Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
To me the term cold air intake is over used. Unless you are modifying your vehicle for ram air, the term just does not make much sense.

For true cold air, you need to route your intake in such a manor to intake air outside your engine compartment. You also need to look at the routing of the plumbing. the straighter the better.

Personally I haven't looked at the TRD system, so I can't really comment much further than this. I did have a K&N FIPK system at one time but removed it in favor of a supercharger. Now that is a good performance upgrade.:D

What type of filteration does the TRD require? is it oiled or a dry filter? from my experience the oiled filters will decrease the life of your MAF.

For a cheaper equalivant outcome, you can do the elbow removal mod in combonation of the deckplate mod and be a whole lot heavier in the wallet afterwards, yet yield about the same hp. IMO.

·
Bear's Chauffeur
2,240 Posts
I agree with Bear.

But the truth is you will not gain anything by doing engine mods to our trucks other than a supercharger, they just don't really work and cost more than they save and cause more problems later on down the road. There is just not a whole lot of hp to be gained out of a Toyota Truck engine with out spending some serious cash. They also don't help in mpg either. If its out there it has been done by a member here with no real high results. Save your money buy you a lift, tires, sliders, bumper whatever they will benefit you better in the long run.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts