TTORA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this on the main board but I figured Id try post up on here too.

My woman and I are looking to relocate out to Denver from Northern Virginia within the next few months or so depending on job oppurtunities. I have a buddy that lives in Westminster and has for the past year or so. He said that most areas are pretty good to live except for Aurora which is a little sketchy. I was looking for anyone else that lives in the Denver area with any input. I was out there this past weekend again and found some new places in Commerce City that were reasonable. Since Im coming the from the Traffic Capital of the World, a 30 minute to 45 minute commute is not out of the question. Also, if anyone knows of any companies that are hiring for a landscape architect/engineer in the land development field, please let me know.

thanks,
donnie

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
lol yeah aurora isn't for everyone. its not a bad place but yeah... lol. anyplace up north but boulder is great. boulder is well..... yeah lol

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
LOL - some people might say that Commerce City is a little sketchy :D

Relative to other cities, Denver is pretty nice and pretty safe. There are pockets of "badness", but in general you can find a nice place living north, south, east or west of town.

Where you end up depends on what your requirements are, and how much you can afford (if you are buying).
- do you want to be close to the mountains
- brand new house versus older house
- where is your job
- big city, suburban, or rural? Lots of land, or very little land.

I've lived in Boulder, in South Denver (near DU), and now I'm in Lafayette (east Boulder). All were/all great places, and I'm just glad I don't have to commute to the south (downtown or DTC) - it's much busier on the south side of town.

There seem to be alot of new communities popping up on the NE side of town (Commerce City, Brighton, Thorton/Northglenn, Erie, Longmont, Loveland) that are all pretty nice if you are looking for newish and affordable. But they are kinda far away from everything (except the airport).

Shit - I'm just rambling.... Maybe a bit more guidance about your needs would help. :2cents:

·
Registered
390 Posts
larc68,
we was in the same boat as you , a few years ago, except you have a friend that lives here, as your buddy said, Aurora, well I will never live there, I watch the news, "alot" of the crime has something to do with Aurora, Im not saying that all the crime on the news here is from Aurora, just "alot" of it.
There will be crime no matter where you live, period.
We live in Westminster, its ok, we want to get farther west, say Evergreen, Idaho Springs, Golden, Georgetown, etc. but the farther west ya get, the more the houses cost, and we like the smaller town lving as the bigger city.
the two places we wont live is Aurora, and Boulder.
you should check with your Insurance co. ours told us that its a good thing we didnt move to "Denver" or "Aurora" as our auto Ins. would have been alot more, we didnt ask how much more, but i did ask why, she just said crime. we left it at that.
over all, every city is going to have bad areas, and good areas.
sorry for rambling on.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah we are also looking in the south-southwest areas but the prices are higher but we will see what happens. thatnks for all the info

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
Let us know if/when you are heading out so we can host up a meet and greet too... since we seem to be totally snowed in for snow runs! Sheesh!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lysmachia said:
Let us know if/when you are heading out so we can host up a meet and greet too... since we seem to be totally snowed in for snow runs! Sheesh!
I definately will. Im keep trying to figure out ways to make it sooner!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
It's about 30-40 minutes to Downtown if you are driving at 5:00am on a Sunday. The traffic between Denver and Castle Rock is REALLY BAD, so it could be an hour or hour and a half during the week at high travel times.

If you are working in or near the DTC (tech center 15 minutes south of downtown), it's more managable.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Commutacoma said:
We are in Castle Rock, which is halfway between Colorado Springs and Denver. We like it here
My parents live in Castle Rock and I love it there. Great mix of small town feel and big city convenience. My dad commutes every day from there to Denver (Santa Fe and Alameda) 22 miles and never much more than 35 - 45 minutes.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Jacket said:
It's about 30-40 minutes to Downtown if you are driving at 5:00am on a Sunday. The traffic between Denver and Castle Rock is REALLY BAD, so it could be an hour or hour and a half during the week at high travel times.

If you are working in or near the DTC (tech center 15 minutes south of downtown), it's more managable.
I disagree and I have done the commute to 18th and Broadway, from the very south of Castle Rock near Larkspur. There is also a train now from Lincoln Ave in Lone Tree to downtown. The commute was 33 miles each way.

anyway, email me at
tom
at
anteloperidge
dot
net
if you need more info.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for the info everyone. applied to a few jobs and am now working with a recruiter so hopefully ill be out there soon!!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts