TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys what's up! In case ya don't remember I was the fool "tryin" to wheel in the ranger. Well guess what...y'all got me HOOKED!!! I'm pickin up my 81 yota this Friday. Thanks again for a great time this past weekend, look forward to wheelin again soon

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
John, right? Wow! That was quick work finding a truck. Tell us what all you know about it.

Good meetin' you, and hope to see you and your new $$ pit at the park soon :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nope...Bryan. anywho, its an 81 lwb, 20r with a 5spd obviously. no a/c but who needs it anyway. 411 gears. got a decent rear bumper but the front will have to be replaced asap with a better one. the trucks definately got character but hey, its gonna be a wheeler and i plan on adding a lot more character. i sailed under a lucky star this afternoon actually and a guy i work with thats trying to unload some stuff quick for a cash flow told me he's selling an 8k warn upright. it needs a new cable and rewiring...THATS ALL!!! the best part is, hes only wanting a 100 dollar bill. can we say "sold"....gonna need to do new springs on the ole yota soon. first project though is gonna be bobbing the bed for sure. as soon as i figure out how ill have some pics posted.

later guys,
Bryan

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
nope...Bryan. anywho, its an 81 lwb, 20r with a 5spd obviously. no a/c but who needs it anyway. 411 gears. got a decent rear bumper but the front will have to be replaced asap with a better one. the trucks definately got character but hey, its gonna be a wheeler and i plan on adding a lot more character. i sailed under a lucky star this afternoon actually and a guy i work with thats trying to unload some stuff quick for a cash flow told me he's selling an 8k warn upright. it needs a new cable and rewiring...THATS ALL!!! the best part is, hes only wanting a 100 dollar bill. can we say "sold"....gonna need to do new springs on the ole yota soon. first project though is gonna be bobbing the bed for sure. as soon as i figure out how ill have some pics posted.

later guys,
Bryan
Sounds like a pretty good rig to build off of. Mine's a lwb and I love it for wheelin. Just build it a little at a time and get plenty of seat time in between mods. The worst thing you can do is to have more rig than experience. That's a good deal on the winch, but keep in mind that it's not as easy to get an upright on a mini-truck. My suggestion: take it to the park with open diffs and see where your limitations are, then weld/spool/lockright the rear and do your body work + sliders. Repeat as necessary.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i TOTALLY appreciate the advice. like i was saying last weekend, while im not a newb to off-roading (i.e. mud)...i am very much a newb to wheelin. so im assuming if im gonna mount that upright im gonna need a bumper bought or built thats gonna protrude fairly far? i think for the first little bit its gonna double as my work truck as well but hey i guess even then ill get a good feel for how the truck and i ride. i still cant figure out how to get a pic of it here though...lord knows ive prolly taken 30!

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
i TOTALLY appreciate the advice. like i was saying last weekend, while im not a newb to off-roading (i.e. mud)...i am very much a newb to wheelin. so im assuming if im gonna mount that upright im gonna need a bumper bought or built thats gonna protrude fairly far? i think for the first little bit its gonna double as my work truck as well but hey i guess even then ill get a good feel for how the truck and i ride. i still cant figure out how to get a pic of it here though...lord knows ive prolly taken 30!
You will have to make your own bumper or have someone make one for you. I don't know of any aftermarket bumper that will fit an upright. The best way to get pictures up would be to create an account at photobucket.com and upload your pictures there. Then just copy and paste the links into a post here.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I am sure Michael (gittinit) will post up on mounting a 8274.. congrats on the rig, should make a great truck, sweet deal on the winch, man you stole that!! listen to domino on the advise of wheel between mods.. seat time is your friend, dont just add mods cause someone else is doing it. My rig has a lot of old school thought in it, (probably because I am old and resist bling) but alot of that stuff seems to work pretty well.... There is a lot of knowledge here with these guys... :)

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
I am sure Michael (gittinit) will post up on mounting a 8274.. congrats on the rig, should make a great truck, sweet deal on the winch, man you stole that!! listen to domino on the advise of wheel between mods.. seat time is your friend, dont just add mods cause someone else is doing it. My rig has a lot of old school thought in it, (probably because I am old and resist bling) but alot of that stuff seems to work pretty well.... There is a lot of knowledge here with these guys... :)
I've been trying to resist pimping my own work. Now that Dave brought it up though...I'm a true beliver in the oldskool upright winches. They are akward to mount on a mini truck but it can be done with style. Check out this thread, http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=155055 there is a pic of Josh's (yotajosh) bumper. it came out verry clean if i do say so myself. Josh also had a thread here somewhere with other pics of upright winches mounted on minis.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
edit: fixed it for ya

okay fellas, got the link to the yota on here even though i couldnt figure out how to directly get the pics on here. im definately gonna check out joshs bumper cause i just couldnt turn down a deal like that. only "mod" ive done...keep in mind that ive owned the truck for about 4 hours at the time of this post, is i went and bought some roll on rhino liner for the floorboards and bed. oh and i was wrong when i said that it had a 20r...it does in fact have a 22r...yay for me! anywho, no real news about it yet, just thought id post the link to the pics...hope yall dont laugh too hard when you see it.

later,
Bryan

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
i love that old school paint sand off that surface rust on the hood and rattle can it back blue

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Score! Nice catch! Looks like just a bit of surface rust on the hood, but otherwise really clean, and straight. I do love the looks of a bobbed bed on the longbed toys, thats a good choice as well. Be shure and not cut the frame behind the shackle, youll need that 3 or 4 inches later down the road when you get into your suspension mods. Just trim the bottom of the bed around it and itl make for a good bumper attachment point as well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So....just an update. Im sure you guys are getting tired of hearing about the truck BUT im just tickled [email protected]#%less to have it. Had to replace lower radiator hose today...no biggie. got an appointment also in a couple of weeks to have the dents pulled, sanded entirely and primered, back blue. I know its a wheeler but id like to be vain as long as possible lol. oh...and this is prolly a total newb question that yall are gonna tell me to take my ass to the newb forum but im not 100% but i think that my throwout bearing is goin out. in 1st thru 3rd, it has a low pitched whine, however in 4th and 5th its all gravy. ive been under that truck for two hours trying to figure it out but im drawing a big ole blank. anywho, just thought id shoot an update on here. oh and again, thanks guys for all your compliments and advice!

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
that means its your input bearing in the tranny but it shouldnt take much to fix

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
at the risk of sounding cheap...is it a cheap fix or do i need to dig deep into the pockets for it? also is it a detrimental problem or something that can be ridden on for awhile? either way ill have it looked at pronto...

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
i ran mine for over a year before it started popping out of first and third. you've got time :)

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
at the risk of sounding cheap...is it a cheap fix or do i need to dig deep into the pockets for it? also is it a detrimental problem or something that can be ridden on for awhile? either way ill have it looked at pronto...
Is it a 4speed or 5? OldTruck aka Stacy bruff as a 1st gen 5speed for sale. He would prolly let it go at a heck of a deal, couse he has second gen stuff, and it won't work in his application. I wouldnt bother having it checked, just runn it till it is to botersome to deal with, then replace it with anoher unkyard tranny.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
its a 5 speed. yeah i dont think that its a problem yet aside from being annoying as far as the racket it makes. so this weekend it looks like im gonna put a new rear main seal in...wish i needed to put a clutch in it so it wouldnt be a total waste lol....yeah stacey let me know if you want to sell your tranny out of your first gen...couldnt be any worse than the one ive got in mine lol....i guess after 260,000 miles its allowed to start giving out...oh and as well as the rear main seal, theres a small chance i may be bobbing the bed too. i assure yall ill have pics of that fiasco posted!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Bryan don't plan on doing too much to your truck this weekend, I'm going to need help picking up my 4 runner and all the spare parts that go with it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts