TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone, this is my first post here. I'm looking for a 4x4 vehicle. I've had a xj previously, wrecked about 2 months ago. I'm now looking to get a 4runner with the removable top. I would prefer efi as well as a solid front axle. My question is what yrs did they come in 85-88? What other options should I look for, lockers, gear ratios etc. If there is a site with all this info that would be great. I can't find anything haha. Thanks in advance all. See ya,
Kevin.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
The only option you have for EFI and SFA is the 85's. They were Carb'd up to 85, and IFS starting in 86.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Yeah 85 is the only year of EFI and SFA.

You can convert a carbed 22r to injection using junkyard parts......toyota's FI is really pretty simple to try and work with as far as that goes.

Don't be afraid of a post 85 first gen with IFS. The SAC on these trucks is really pretty simple.......there are several kits availiable to do it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah the only thing that is i dont really know how to weld. I do have access to a mig but i dont believe that would be a strong enough weld. Do you have any links to a sac kit? Also ive heard some negatives about having a sac, honestly though for 4wheeling i think there is no alternative. I do remember some trails(average difficulty) where the toyota(newer taco's) ifs guys kept up with me, no problems what so ever.

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
How much did you wheel your previous rig? Depending on your experience, IFS may be plenty good for quite a while...

elockers weren't available until '96ish

I know the 90-95 trucks that came with 31's have either 4.56 (manual tranny) or 4.88, otherwise you're probably stuck with 4.30's at best

As for SAS kits, check out Trail Gear, Marlin Crawler, Allpro, and Sky Manufacturing.

More info on this era 4Runner at www.yotatech.com

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i never went on any serious trails. If this gives you any idea i had a 90 xj with 4.5" lift with 33", yoke eliminator, warn winch, stock gears and everything else stock. I never got stuck so I probably never went on any hardcore trails like I've seen some pics of :) . I'm starthing to think IFS might be just fine for what I do(at least for now). I'm going to look at this guys yota this weekend http://denver.craigslist.org/car/253434331.html, that is if we dont get another foot or so of snow haha. How is the 22r carb motor on these? If it's not too terrible of a job i will convert it to efi first thing. I just dont trust carbs in this climate!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I agree that you will probably be fine with IFS for awhile. I wheel mine quite a bit and not had much problems. Ditch the sway bar or get discos and low profile bumpstops and you can get quite a bit of flex out of them. If you don't mind an auto locker I have the Aussie Locker and like it a lot... Best $260 I've spent on the truck. Here's a flex pic (stock other than what I said above and AALs in the rear):

Good luck man! I'm always glad to see Jeep guys converted ;)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah i still like jeeps, it was just time for something new. I wanted something way more efficient and reliable. How good are the 4cyl 22r/22re motors for torque, with say max 33" tires and probably no more than a 5" lift? I'm sure gear ratios will affect this no matter what. RedRunnertc I'll have to post on the local chapter for sure, doesnt that look like a clean pickup though?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Welcome to the world of Toyota. I would check out Yotatech as mentioned above there is a wealth of knowledge and it is more specific to generations. Most people will tell you if you do the IFS to wheel it until you are ready for your SAC. I have a 95 2nd gen and I am having my swap done now a few years later. :welder: The reason I did mine was I broke brackets off of the superlift kit. The IFS was in great shape. I also fubar'd my rear axle housing as well and I found my axles so I ended up doing the work all at once. If you can find an 85 runner take it, if not the later years aren't that bad. I would start looking for a 84-85 front axle with the full truss on the bottom to swap in when you are ready. Stock 4runners are quite capable rigs.
Again I would search Yotatech's forum and here for a lot of different ways to get lift for the bigger tires that go beyond the conventional suspension kits(IIRC alot of them use the OME setup) that will be inexpensive. Then save the money for the swap. If you read their FAQ or search, there is a tire /lift FAQ.
Ok the 22r is good and easy to work on. I have the 3.0 which lacks in power, but from what I hear the 22's are great, and since its a p/u you'll have less weight than the runner. Those engines will go a for a while too if you care for them.

Anyway good luck and enjoy your new yota.
:D

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
awesome link RedRunnerTC, now that i know what I'm looking at I'm really thinking of getting one of the 4runners with the removable top. Look like quite the capable rig right out of the box!

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
Yeah, cruise around on that site a bit - Roger is the man when it comes to all things 1st gen 4Runner (and ALL things electrical and body lift). Any of these trucks is pretty darn capable out of the box, but put lockers in it and it's a whole different world!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i thought lockers were a bad idea, at least thats the general consensus when it comes to xj. I thought lockers are bad for a daily driver? Especially in the weather we are having? Maybe not I'm still learning haha. I know re gearing is going to be needed if I'm going to run 33"s, right?

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
Needed? Well, depends on what gears the truck you find comes with. Mine came with 4.56, and it was OK with the 33's, but the 4.88's are MUCH better. Likely, the trucks you are looking at will come with 4.10 or maybe 4.30. It'll still be driveable, but you're gonna put a lot of wear on the clutch and have a hard time in the mountains around here.

When I say "lockers", I mean ARB or e-locker for those of us that have to drive in the snow/ice regularly...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yeah man, you'll like the 1st gen Runner. Nothing like taking the top off in the summertime and going wheeling :D .

On the 22-R/E they're great motors. The major weakness is timing chain guides (they're plastic). They can break and the chain will slap around until it wears through the timing cover, mixing coolant into the oil. If you keep an ear out for it you'll be fine (it starts making racket when the guides break). I have 270K on my motor and it runs great (all in the maintenance).

On the torque standpoint they are not very stout. However, gear them right and they are still pretty enjoyable. 31s are ok with the stock 4.10s but I found a set of 4.56s for mine so it's right back at stock final drive. For 33s you want at least 4.56s though 4.88s are optimal.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Everlastingboost said:
i thought lockers were a bad idea, at least thats the general consensus when it comes to xj. I thought lockers are bad for a daily driver? Especially in the weather we are having? Maybe not I'm still learning haha. I know re gearing is going to be needed if I'm going to run 33"s, right?
Yeah, a selectable locker would be best out there where you have a ton of snow. I probably would have ponied up for the ARB or e-locker over the Aussie if we got a ton of snow/ice around here (we might get one or to snows a winter).

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
arb's are air lockers correct? So next question, what are some good shops either local or out of state for the yota's. I know all the jeep places locally, high country, poison spider, etc. I know of none that specialize in yotas. Also what is your general opinion on carbs(at least in this climate). I'm really thinking efi. I've had 2 carb cars before(76 rabbit, 74 datsun 620) and they were absolutely crap in this climate, sucks having to adjust every freaking morning(could have been bad carbs as well though :confused: )!!. Maybe the yota 22r is different? Anybody have any first hand experience? I've seen one older toyota(probably carb) 2wd pickup that never had such problems.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts