TTORA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi-lift Jack 48"? 60"?

I just got done reading 155 (3+hrs) threads in search, looking under "hi lift".
No one can answer my question.
What is the best size hi lift for our tacoma's: 48" or 60"?
From the answers and pic's it's about a 50/50 call?
I grow up with handyman jacks in the 60's-70's on our farm. So yes I know the hazards of them.

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
Stock height or lifted??

·
Registered
507 Posts
I got a 60" in my bed. The only reason I got a 60" was thats what was on sale at the hardware store (they had both sizes for the same price). If you can sacrifice the "valuable" bed space I'd say get the 60. Never know when you might need the extra 20". :2cents: :2cents:

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I grow up with handyman jacks in the 60's-70's on our farm. So yes I know the hazards of them.
My 92 with a 4" needs a 60" in some lifts, but a 48" works most the time. I bought my 48" first, then with added lift I bought just the 60" bar, so I have one jack and two bars... in fact I need to sell my 60" bar as my 92 is for sale.. PM me if you are interested.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tx's for the replys sofar. My question is more about who likes what size an why?

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
IFS - 48"
SAS - 60"

I've got a 48". Fits perfectly on a bed bar (you'll need to mount a 60" long ways down the bed side). I've never maxed it out and I use it VERY often.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
IFS - 48"
SAS - 60"

I've got a 48". Fits perfectly on a bed bar (you'll need to mount a 60" long ways down the bed side). I've never maxed it out and I use it VERY often.
I wouldnt go that far, I max out my 48" on my IFS 92 pretty easily depending on where I need to jack, and thats on cement. On uneven ground its a crapshoot if the 48" will even work.

I mounted my 60" bar to the front of my tool box, fit perfect.

·
Premium Member
5,088 Posts
I have a 60" and I can tell you I have used every last inch of it on several occasions. Think about the benifits vs the rewards and draw your conclusion. Also, not only does it come in handy as a jack, but you can use it for just about anything. Think about using it as a come-a-long, or a big pry bar (I say that with great reservation). If it will fit in your mounting spot, get the bigger one, you never know.

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
I actually carry both size bars with me at all times (I built my mount to house both bars at the same time)

Anyway! before I lifted my truck I was IFS I could max out the 48" pretty easily. But also found many times with a 60" it was easier to do damage to the side of the truck if you were not careful.

Now with the solid axle I can max out my 60" just changing tires unless I strap the axles to the frame. (truck flexs pretty good in other words) so I could probably still use the 48" if I were to strap the axles to the frame. But that is extra work.

If I get stuck on the trail, the 60" comes in more handy for the height of my truck.

If you are using the hi lift in a winching situation which I am sure you have done growing up the farm. there are times when shorter is better, which is the main reason I carry both sizes with me.

The only time I used the hilift as a 48" length and wished I had the 60" bar installed was when I was helping a friend during a demolition derby. We thought the 48" would be long enough and did not have the 60" bar with us.But we had to use the hi lift to push out his radiator core support and maxed out the jack before being able to completely push the core support back to being square.(yea I have some hillybilly friends:D)

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Tx's for the replys sofar. My question is more about who likes what size an why?
Maybe a demonstration is in order... at the C-horn on Sat...

Alot of folks buy the 48" for the the reason it is easier to handle and convienent to store... And it minimally meets the requirements for their rig...

Interex's rule
IFS - 48"
SAS - 60"
is about 98% correct...

If you ever crawl the rocks... On a rare occasion, you could find that extra foot is the advantage... Placement to set the jack base... may seem like a bottom less pit... and a 48" just comes up a little short... rare... but it happens...

And I've had to pull my 60" out on more then one occasion... 'Cause someones 48" couldn't quite measure up

Whichever you get... just make sure it is the All-Cast unit... ;)

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
I have 6+ inches of lift and I have the 48'' but if you have any highter I would go with 60''

·
Premium Member
3,569 Posts
I bought a 60" Hi-Lift - In my opinion, I'd rather have the bigger size and not need it vs need it and not have it. I've loaned it out to a couple SAS guys before and it definitely came in handy there. Besides, it fits nicely along the side of the bed.

I say, get the large one "just in case"

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
Stock height.........03 DC 4X

Based on your vehicle-
The 48" will suffice-
You also have a shorter bed which may be a problem if wanting to mount a 60" HL.
What jacking points do you have available?
Front/Rear bumpers/sliders?
Do you have the space to mount the 60", or plan on lifting >3" suspension

I have the 48" and have not run into a situation requiring the added length & weight of the 60"
I am running 2.5" susp lift with ARB Bullbar, Bentup rear bumper & sliders.
The Hi-lift is my secondary jack. My primary jack is a 12T Bottle Jack.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Oh I missed the 03' DC... :doh:

I suppose that makes choices more limited...
Not if you mount it width ways... mine is bolted to the front of my tool box, out of sight out of mind, and always there when I need it.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
IFS - 48"
SAS - 60"
Great info. Tx's a million to all who replyed. Went with the 48" due to my truck will be staying mostly stock overall. This is my retirement truck for hunting, fishing and some wheeling.
Also got my MF 1050 air compressor today. Now I can reinflate after wheeling without taking an hr with my old rink-a-dink one.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts