TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So everyone knows it looks cooler to have your hi-lift mounted where everyone can see it.... But I want to keep it inside my cab out of the elements and from thieves. Yes, I know there are ways to lock it up outside of the cab but I want to see if anyone has put it behind their bench seat securely. I was thinking of just welding in some large scab plates to the sheet metal right behind the seat and welding a bolt to that... But I'm not sure that sheet metal can take the abuse.

Anyone done this? Pictures or advice would be great.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
I agree with hiding it from the elements and theives. Just MAKE SURE that it is secure. If that thing came loose and hit you in the head it might wreck your day.

I would build a bed bar and only mount the thing when going wheeling. You don't need to drive around town with it on everyday.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya, I've built a bed bar for it but still wanted to move it into the cab somehow. Well, I'll try the scab plate idea and see how it goes.....

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Ya, I've built a bed bar for it but still wanted to move it into the cab somehow. Well, I'll try the scab plate idea and see how it goes.....
Something to consider is how convenient it is to get too when you need it--something to consider with all recovery gear. My straps, shackles, winch control, etc are quickly available at the back of the bed (have camper shell for security), while the high-lift is mounted on a shelf in the bed which takes a few minutes, and some items removed from the bed of the truck to get it out (high lift isn't often used). If I were to keep it behind my rear seat, I'd have to remove the ARB fridge (which is a total pain in the ass) as well as removing everything else I keep in the cab, and the only place to put that stuff is outside or on the truck, both of which can be very dirty (dusty trails) wet (snow/mud), and against why that stuff was put in the cab in the first place (where bedding and other dust-free items are stored). Good Luck!

·
Registered
366 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mod looks good. That's what I want to do. Thanks for the responses guys. I think the sheet metal behind the seat will be strong enough with a scab plate welded to it.... Also, it'll be tucked in with some other gear. And I just have a reg cab pickup so all I have to do is flip the seat forward and unbolt it.

Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts