TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a new 48'' hi lift and i've used it about 6 times or so, and the other day i use it in my driveway while i was putting a lift in my friends jeep and it wouldnt crank down i had to have a few friends helplift the truck off the jack and pull it away, after that it slid right down. so just to see if it would do it again, i tried jacking up my tacoma, and it did it again, it jacked the truck up, but after i flipped the switch it wouldnt jack down, has anybody else had this problem? i really like having my hi lift for the trails but its no good if it doesnt work, so let me know if you know anything, thanks

·
Premium Member
3,569 Posts
That's pretty normal, especially when the mechanism get's dirty, etc. Just spray some lubricant around it and it will be good to go! HINT: Keep a can of WD-40 in your truck for when you need it! :D

·
Registered
232 Posts
I originally bought a Hi Lift brand 48" jack and had the same problem after maybe 10 uses, so I took it back to Tractor Supply and exchanged it for one of the Off Brand jacks that is almost identical to the Hi LIft but a little cheaper. Tractor Supply sells both types. I have not had any problems out of the off brand Jack yet. Maybe the quality is not as good as the Hi lift, the only difference I can see is the top piece that bolts on to both jacks, not real sure what the other differences are between them, but it has worked for me so far with no problems.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
X2 on th WD-40. Hi-lift type jacks (genuine or generic) tend to have trouble after a few uses and some weathering. I had a very small amount of rust on my generic hi-lift. The thing wouldn't work right at all. I took some WD-40 to it and that had it working like brand new. The problem with WD-40 is that it doesn't stay on very long. For this reason, some members have had success with dry motorcycle chain lubricant.

·
Registered
407 Posts
BWAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa:rofl:

When a Hi-Lift starts screwing up like that it's telling you, "I want to break your jaw or at least knock a big patch of scalp off your head." It's why I love my jack....every use is an adventure.

I spray mine off at the carwash after each run, and after it dries I pour a quart of motor oil down the upright and completely soak the mechanism....then tie a clean shoprag around the mechanism and leave it on there until I use the jack again.

No more problems except when it's determined to kill or maim me regardless. Good luck.:D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts