TTORA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my in-laws got me a Hi-lift for Xmas, and I finally got around to machining some mounts. I think they turned out alright. I decided to use the existing t-rail instead of buying the bent sheet metal mounts that require drilling holes in the plastic bed side. I plan on replacing the wing nuts with a plastic (phenolic) knob. Here are a few pics.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome! What kind of equipment do you have access to? I would love to have a little Bridgeport in the garage...
At work, we have 3 CNC machines, a small 3-axis, a 3-axis Haas router with a 7' x 12' bed, and my pride and joy, a 5-axis Zimmerman FZ-30 mill, 16' x 9' x 5' travel, linear scales on all the axis, will hold .001" over 16'.

Someday I would love to have a small 3-axis CNC mill in the garage.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
very cool, how much to build me a set? lol
Actually, I have been thinking about making a few more sets. If I can find enough interest, I will run a dozen pairs or so. The only problem is, they cost me more to make than the jack is worth. Surprise, surprise.

So far, I have about $75 invested. $60 in aluminum, $15 in hardware, but i still owe the boss a 12 pack for letting me use the mill this weekend. If I made a few more, I would have to buy time on the mill.

Does the 95-04 tacoma have a bedrail system similar to the late models? If so, I could probably tweak the model/program and make a few for the older tacos.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Actually, I have been thinking about making a few more sets. If I can find enough interest, I will run a dozen pairs or so. The only problem is, they cost me more to make than the jack is worth. Surprise, surprise.

So far, I have about $75 invested. $60 in aluminum, $15 in hardware, but i still owe the boss a 12 pack for letting me use the mill this weekend. If I made a few more, I would have to buy time on the mill.

Does the 95-04 tacoma have a bedrail system similar to the late models? If so, I could probably tweak the model/program and make a few for the older tacos.

Would the cost go down if more people bought in?

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Nice work!! I've got access to a Bridgeport (Grandfather and uncle are machinists). I've used it several times but not for anything like you've done :D

I've been talking to him about making affordable high steer arms for FJ80s. I think he could make some $$$ on a project like that.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Those are awesome mounts you made. Unfortunately with that much cost into the materials they become a hard sale. You would be looking at about $100.00 a set with labor and that would be on the cheap side.

I mounted mine straight on the rail with a carriage bolt. About $12 in materials. But mine sit above the bed too. I don't have a bed cover to contend with.

I really like the design. You do great work!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Those look Great!

Although, I would have probably put more holes in it:D

Ive been reading a little on machining, you're inspiring me. What else have you made for your truck?
Yeah, I didn't want to put the holes in it, but I didn't want to build dedicated fixtures for what could have been a one off set of parts. I used the holes to bolt it down to a plate and profile the shape.

Haven't made much else. I need a mount for my GPS next. I would also like to get a C02 setup and make some sort of mounting bracket that utilizes the same rail.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I would also like to get a C02 setup and make some sort of mounting bracket that utilizes the same rail.
Now that would definately be something I would be interested in as well. Need to secure that thing well. You might have a decent market for that with other late model owners.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Yeah, I didn't want to put the holes in it, but I didn't want to build dedicated fixtures for what could have been a one off set of parts. I used the holes to bolt it down to a plate and profile the shape.
No, I mean, I REALLY would have put more holes in it.

I'm all about holes. You could taper the opening too! But it all costs time.

·
Registered
228 Posts
keep us updated on anything you make for the rail system i know i would like to put mine to better use
I really like the jack mounts but as said before a little to much $$$ for mounts

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
OOOH if you can make the Wheelers For The Wounded CHarity wrench-a-thon... Sun June 28th in Colo-Springs, you could shou us what you did! Maybepost up a list of needed materials so we could get a few sets done while there!

http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=134057

1 - 18 of 18 Posts