TTORA Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all...
I'm in a club at the University of Dayton (ohio) that is building a mini baja car (like this one...)

Ok - so we're looking to upgrade our whole design, and that calls for a hi/lo tranny that can be shifted on the fly. We are powered by a 10hp Briggs & stratton engine, use a CVT to get power to what is currently a planetary setup, then to the wheels. We want to swap out our planetary and put in a hi/lo tranny.

We've only been able to find a fwd/rvs gokart tranny, or soemthing HUGE like an atv/snow mobile tranny (which require clutch pedals)..

Any of you guys have any ideas as to where we should start looking or how we could manage to get something like this? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

aaaand yes.. that is me driving up and down a set of stairs at our school :D

·
Registered
533 Posts
A lot of ATV's use an automatic high/low tranny, have you looked into any of those?

Or how about an old suzuki 125 dirt bike that has high/low? If you just want 2 speeds in the smallest package then I would look for a mini bike transmission like a 50cc or a 70cc

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've tried looking for trannys from things like that... minibike trannys look like they'd be a little too weak for what we need (our whole setup weighs closet to 450lbs if i'm remembering correctly)...

I'm having a hard time just finding options... Especially because it seems like dirtbike trannys are part of the engine assembly; they need to be able to be hooked up through shaft and then chain or something of the sort...

Does a constant mesh transmission mean you dont have to use a clutch when shifting?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
2 Participants
HoT_DoGgIN
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing