TTORA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody run these yet? I have read some good reviews about them on other forums but the information has been spotty. Everyone on this forum provides information that has been far more comprehensive, hence the fact that it hit it 2-3 times a week for about a year now and have relied simply on searching. This is the one time that searching has yielded little to no results. On other forums the reviews have come after only 2-3k miles, nothing long term. Mostly jeep forums, so the reviews are shotty and written by amateurs. Thanks everyone.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
Has anybody run these yet? I have read some good reviews about them on other forums but the information has been spotty. Everyone on this forum provides information that has been far more comprehensive, hence the fact that it hit it 2-3 times a week for about a year now and have relied simply on searching. This is the one time that searching has yielded little to no results. On other forums the reviews have come after only 2-3k miles, nothing long term. Mostly jeep forums, so the reviews are shotty and written by amateurs. Thanks everyone.
interesting...never heard of them before.

I wonder how they hold up to hardcore wheeling with a crawler and really low PSI

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Looks like a great source for spares either way!

·
Registered
352 Posts
I actually used them back in the day (1998 or 1999) on my 91 Ford F-150 4x4. I was still in high school when I got them, so I couldn't tell you how long they would have lasted because I still did burnouts like a little retarded 17 yr old. They did however do pretty good off road and in mud. I never had a problem with balancing them and they appeared seamless as to where the retread was. They did "dig" a lot in sand... pretty aggressive tread. Comparable to BFG M/T's. I think with doing a few burnouts at red lights and constantly spinning my tires around every corner, I got like 20k or 25k out of them. Im sure they would have lasted easily 35k to 40k if I had not spun them around every corner. They were (4) 31x10.50's and I got them back then for about $260 shipped to my house.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I just wish they had sizes that I could use. I would be up for testing those out.

·
Registered
27 Posts
if they had 37's id get a set. heard about them on YT too and noone has tried them but their big tires are often backordered. be nice if they were great in this world of ever more expensive wheeling

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
i have heard good things about them

big rigs use retreads

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
I'll be trying them out this summer after i get my lift. Never tried them before but i figure anything would be better than the POS that come stock on the new models.

·
Premium Member
1,898 Posts
I've run them. I had 33 12.50 15's in a BFG M/T on an A/T sidewall....sidewall had the A/T markings, but were retreaded with M/T tread. :rolleyes:

I bought them used off another PA member, and I ran them hard, wheeled the piss out of them, ran them at highway speed to and fro work, sometimes without airing up after wheelin :D And never had a single problem with any of them. As a matter of fact, they're all still alive as spares belonging to other PA members.
They get a thumbs up from me.

--Scott

·
Registered
388 Posts
They've been around farming for a while. Seen them advertised in fastline for as long as I can remember. I think they where initially meant for implement tires then the company grew into other branches.

·
Registered
597 Posts
i have heard good things about them

big rigs use retreads
I've always questioned retreads for offroad and personal use because of all the treads I see tattered and torn laying on the side of the road from big rigs.

I know the technology of retreading has come a long way. I don't have any personal experience with them, but interesting nonetheless.

·
Registered
779 Posts
it COULD hurt to try but I am willing to get them pretty damn cheap! i wonder if this is how we are seeing great deals on ebay and craigslist on 'new tires' ???? hmm these tires, sound like a scam artist's best friend right here IMO...

·
Premium Member
3,442 Posts
They are considered some of the better retreads available. However Hi-Tec told me that they do NOT recommend that they be driven on while aired down and that it can cause issues with tire quality. Hi-Tec recommended that I not air down below 20 psi if I bought their tires. Too much liability involved with the tire seperating and then coming apart at higher speeds. They also weren't real supportive of the Arizona heat and the potential for tire failure from it. I passed. I would however seriously consider them for an on road vehicle in a less heated environment.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Retreads scare me. The only way I would ever run them would be if I were flat broke and I couldn't find new tires for less. The problem is that tires break down over time. Heat, UV light and just normal wear and tear wear a tire out over time. Not just the tread. You have no idea how the casing that you get was used. You can get an idea of how old it is by looking at the DOT number, but that isn't enough to comfort me. Unless you are very lucky, you will not get 4 of the same casings. The ride quality can very greatly from tire to tire. This quote about balancing should be enough to make you think twice 'Warranty to be under 7 oz'. Can you imagine a wheel with 7 oz of weight on it? Talk about a smiley face.

I can only think of a few, and very few situations that retreads would make sense. Maybe as a spare or very limited use, but for anything long term, they are going to cost you a lot more money in the long run. Have a tread separate and let it beat against the side of your truck and you savings will be long gone.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts