TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a link to where I can get these? I want the best money can buy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
161 Posts
Maybe it'll be in the TTORA FAQ when it gets launched, but it would be great if someone could put together a CV FAQ and possibly a Wheel FAQ as well.

There's a lot of info posted on these boards and there's useful links drifting around as well but no one has ever condensed them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
i got mine from CVU www.cvunlimited.com but they dont show them there. give em a call and george should be able to take care of you. mine came with my newfields and work great. hope this helps
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,146 Posts
I'm interested as well. I seem to have sprung a leak :).
 

·
Going John Galt
Joined
·
31,846 Posts
GoodyearMTR said:
Does anyone have a link to where I can get these? I want the best money can buy.
CV Unlimited and Downey are about it right now. around $50/axle; kits include both boots, clamps and grease.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,295 Posts
toyota put high(er) angle boots on tacomas starting with 04 i believe...so if you have a pre 04 you could try to find some 04 boots. i havent heard of any of the "high angle" boots actually helping anything
 

·
Going John Galt
Joined
·
31,846 Posts
YoTRacer158 said:
toyota put high(er) angle boots on tacomas starting with 04 i believe...so if you have a pre 04 you could try to find some 04 boots. i havent heard of any of the "high angle" boots actually helping anything
well, that was my understanding as well but there is no different part # for '04 boots compared to all other years. they sure looked like the Downeys to me but my eyes ain't so good ;)

http://www.norcalttora.com/~chris/misc/Picture_502.jpg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,295 Posts
might be one of those things where they only sell the newest ones to replace all the older less high angle boots? who knows
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Boots

YoTRacer158 said:
toyota put high(er) angle boots on tacomas starting with 04 i believe...so if you have a pre 04 you could try to find some 04 boots. i havent heard of any of the "high angle" boots actually helping anything
Well the truck I'm putting them on is an 2004, hmm.....makes me wonder?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
307 Posts
My 04 boots look way more beefier then my moms 02. They look alot thicker, and have bigger fins, i looked at them for ever one day, and they look alot different1
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
231 Posts
OK, so enlighten me, CVs fail at excessive angles because of the boots giving way, and no grease will wear out the CVs prematurly? Not because of the bearings failing and/or popping out, but wearing out because of the boots? Basically, the boots are the problem??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
266 Posts
I might be part of the reason that some think that the 04 boots are better. When I installed OME 882s on my 04 with about 1500 miles on it the boots looked great, more than 1/8" space at the closest fins. So I posted that info. 12k later I have lost about 1/2" of lift (as expected) and my boots have grooves worn into them from the constant contact. All I can think is that as the boots broke in and limbered up the rubbing began. I dont know if the 04 boots are better than the previous parts, but I do know that the 04 boots are not the fix for CV boot issues.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
When my boots went south last month, i went with the 04' taco boots. They work great, with a 3" spacer lift the gap between the two most inner fins has plenty of clearence. For the money and the quality i think you will be happy with 04' yota boots.
 

·
Cracker
Joined
·
5,648 Posts
deathwishbkr said:
When my boots went south last month, i went with the 04' taco boots. They work great, with a 3" spacer lift the gap between the two most inner fins has plenty of clearence. For the money and the quality i think you will be happy with 04' yota boots.
I would be very interested if you would pull your invoice and tell me what the part number was. The same number shows for all years and there haven't been any supercessions, part number changes, or anything. As far as I can tell, there is no difference from year to year on boots. I appreciate your help in clearing this '04 boot mytery...
 

·
Going John Galt
Joined
·
31,846 Posts
YoTRacer158 said:
might be one of those things where they only sell the newest ones to replace all the older less high angle boots? who knows
that was my theory at one point but Chris didn't think so. I guess someone just needs to order some and find out.
 

·
Going John Galt
Joined
·
31,846 Posts

·
Cracker
Joined
·
5,648 Posts
hytenor said:
that was my theory at one point but Chris didn't think so. I guess someone just needs to order some and find out.
I ordered them for myself. Got them in hand. They are the same.

I researched the part number, there have been no changes.

I am stumped as to why some people are claiming to have gotten different boots :banghead: :confused:
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top