TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
This is probably an easy answer. I'm hooking up some hella 500 lights and want to find the high beam wire to tap into so I can switch the lights on when high beams come on. Where is the best place on a 04 taco to find this wire and what darn color is it? Thanks for any help!

-Mick

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
MickTaco said:
Hi all,
This is probably an easy answer. I'm hooking up some hella 500 lights and want to find the high beam wire to tap into so I can switch the lights on when high beams come on. Where is the best place on a 04 taco to find this wire and what darn color is it? Thanks for any help!
I just did some Hella Black Magics on mine. You need to get a line tester and just gently put it into the plug where the lights are plugged in. Have someone turn your brights on and off slowly and if the bulb lights up when the brights are on then goes off when the brights go off you have your wire.

Your wire color may be different from mine so just get a tester, a few bucks at a hardware store, and test all the wires on the plug to the lamp enclosure.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks alot Matt, I think I have one of those!

-Mick

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
MickTaco said:
Thanks alot Matt, I think I have one of those!
No problem. Let us know how they work out and take some pictures! :D

You can see how I did mine here. I didn't care much for the ugly green switch that came with my kit so I went down to Radio Shack and picked up a couple switches, one unused for rear lights yet to come, that look stock.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Does the extra load from splicing the two together make them seem dimmer? I was also wondering if your factory wiring for the high beams has melted or anything from overheating due to the load?

Teddy

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
drinkintedbr said:
Does the extra load from splicing the two together make them seem dimmer? I was also wondering if your factory wiring for the high beams has melted or anything from overheating due to the load?
Well for my setup the Scotch Lock on the high beam wire is only to make sure the high beams are on so you can use the Hellas.

The lights themselves draw their power from the battery.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
3 Participants
Matt
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing