TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i just had a few questions before i cut my rear bedsides/fender area. i have searched but didn't get a clear answer. i want to go up to that one body line/crease all the way back, but saw there is some peices that come down in the back part by the tail light. can i cut through that? is there some stucural parts that i need to not cut or reweld after cutting? (that is a problem) or do you guys cut straight back no worries? any pics would be great. i have already looked at parks offroad site but it angles back down at the tail light area and really does not have a good pic of the underside where he cut. Help please!

·
Registered
787 Posts
Not sure on the structural part but I do know that the tail light wiring harness runs through there. Make sure you don't cut through that. As far as the structural part I am sure that if wouldn't warp or distort the bed to bad. Many people have done this mod before.

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
if you cut to the bottom of that you might be ok..... your better bet would just be to bring a line around about 1/2 an inch below the taillight. too high and you will be into the bed on the sides of the truck. if i remember right where that crease is at is where your bed wraps around.....

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
I don't have a really good pic, but my cut follows the plastic trim I have all the way around the corner of the bed.

If the cut looks crooked it's because the bedside is pretty wavy from some gnarly carnage before the bumper was added.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I was told that if you start cutting all that crossmember stuff out under the taillight you'll get alot of play in the bed. I don't know one way or the other really except that my sheet metal is cut up 4 or 5" at least, but I left the stuff under the taillight that my bumper covers anyway and my tailgate/bedsides all that are still nice and stiff- at least as much as stock.

In general though, it seems like kind of a waste of stuff to cover up to cut any higher than you have to- considering where your frame is, etc.

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
banThis said:
I was told that if you start cutting all that crossmember stuff out under the taillight you'll get alot of play in the bed. I don't know one way or the other really except that my sheet metal is cut up 4 or 5" at least, but I left the stuff under the taillight that my bumper covers anyway and my tailgate/bedsides all that are still nice and stiff- at least as much as stock.

In general though, it seems like kind of a waste of stuff to cover up to cut any higher than you have to- considering where your frame is, etc.
The support for the bedside is the only thing you lose when cutting the lower bedside. I need to add one back to mine as the bedside flaps in the wind going down the road.

I've gained a lot of clearance/departure angle with my cut and bumper. Definitely worth it. Bumper is just tall enough to be legal while not acting as a snag on the trail.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Yeah, thats what I did, Rebuilt.
I ended up taking an inch outof the bottom of that crossmember shit when I bobbed and everything is basically level with the frame straigth across.
No flap.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Here ya go...

Save as much of the bedside support as you can. Otherwise it'll flap in the wind

-Josh

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the pics, and replys. that helps alot, i think i will try to round and angle down on the corner instead of cutting right through.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts