TTORA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having issues with high idle currently.

Symptoms:
as the truck heats up the idle goes up as well, I start the truck and it idles at about 700, as the truck heats up to normal temp the idle slowly raises then sticks at about 1500-2000 rpms. Sometimes the idle goes up and down as if the motor is looking to correct this problem, however the motor ends up settling at the higher idle. No cel codes either...

Attempts to fix: I have pulled the IAC and cleaned it, making sure that it can open and close with ease. I checked to see that it is working with an ohms meter and everything looks to be spec.

I pulled the throttle position unit and checked the ohms as well. The resistance between the vta-e2 according to the FSM is supposed to be between .2 - 5.7k. Mine came in lower at .13. So I suspected it to be bad. I pulled it ordered a new one online, this new one arrived and pulled almost the exact same numbers as mine that I suspected to be bad. After installing it the idle problem was still there (I reset the cpu by disconnecting the battery) My buddy had an extra one from his rig that he had suspected bad as well. I tested that to get the same numbers as the other 2 tested. Now either all 3 of these are bad, including the new one, or all 3 work and the problem lies elsewhere. (if someone is pulling their tps or wants to help me out if you could give me your readings from the e2 (top terminal) and vta (bottom terminal) terminals at cold temp I would appreciate it. Range is supposed to lie between .2 and 5.7k ohms.

Finally I suspected there to be a vacuum leak. I preceded to check that by spraying carb cleaner on the vacuum lines, nothing changed in my idle so I pinched off my vacuum lines with a pair of pliers, again with no change in idle. I don't believe that to be the problem either.

WHAT NEXT???

Do I purchase yet another tps and hope for another result with a different resistance in ohms?

Any other way to check for vacuum leaks?

Any ideas on what to look for next regarding high idle?

Thanks guys.

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,202 Posts
I have been battling with a high idle on my truck, except mine was intermittent and not idling that high. I cleaned the tb, maf, and completely tore apart the IAC to clean and lubricate the bearings. Still the same thing, intermittent high idle...

Mine would warm up normally, and idle around 1000 rpm's at times. Some days it would idle completely normal.

I noted that the timing was at 23 degrees when it was idling high. If I slightly push on the gas if it was idling low to bring it to 1000 rpm's, the timing would be about 13 degrees. When it runs normal, my timing is at about 11.

I ended up doing a 150k maint. I did plugs, wires, pcv valve, pcv valve grommet, front and rear o2 sensors. O2 sensors were stock, pcv grommet was stock, wires were stock, and plugs were only 30k old...

I believed I solved my issue. I have a feeling it was the PCV valve grommet. The pcv valve was slightly loose in the grommet, and the grommet was VERY hard, not even rubber anymore. I felt that I was getting a vacuum leak there. The new one seals against the valve cover very tight, and the pcv valve is a VERY tight fit in the rubber...

It's been about 2 weeks and it hasn't come back. Could have been the o2 sensors, but I figured at 150k miles, I was due for new ones anyways...

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There ya go. Great advise from a long time member. Sometimes your issues are the smallest things that you just happen to overlook.

Mine turned out to just be the little grommet. I went to autozone and purchased the grommet. They were out of the pcv valve so its on its way. I put the grommet in and drove the truck. The first drive out the idle dropped and is now good! So stoked. Thanks for the advise!

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,202 Posts
Sweet, hopefully it stays that way.

IMHO, this grommet should be changed out with the PCV valve. I'd change out at 90k miles.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts