TTORA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 1998 toyota tacoma trd 2.7L. i have noticed a high idle around 1000-1200 rpm when it is warm. it is normally around 700 when cold. i was thinking that the tps is bad? any ideas?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Funny You mention that I have the opposite problem of you. Mine appears to be high idle when it is cold about 1500 RPM till it gets hot enough and then drops down to 600 RPM. I am on a 3.4 though. So I would not mind some suggestions as well for this issue.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,405 Posts
sickyota said:
i have a 1998 toyota tacoma trd 2.7L. i have noticed a high idle around 1000-1200 rpm when it is warm. it is normally around 700 when cold. i was thinking that the tps is bad? any ideas?
If you haven't done so recently, clean your throttle body. That was affecting my idle, but mostly making it rough. If that doesn't help, you might want to check your IAC (idle air control) valve and see if its clogged.

·
Registered
53 Posts
In addition to the IAC valve, maybe your throttle position sensor needs to be tweeked a weeeee bit..

I had a high idle on my '96 (2.7L), and I just loosened up the two philips heads screws slightly, then bumped the TPS a little bit one way, then back the other, until my idle was just right. ;)

Also, now that I'm thinking about things that could use a good inspection.. When was the last time ya'll checked your PCV valve. If you have a '98 with the original one still on the engine, it might be wise to replace it with a new one..

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
obex26 said:
Funny You mention that I have the opposite problem of you. Mine appears to be high idle when it is cold about 1500 RPM till it gets hot enough and then drops down to 600 RPM. I am on a 3.4 though. So I would not mind some suggestions as well for this issue.
the truck is supposed to idle high when it's cold, to help heat up faster, then drops down to normal idle once its warm...mine will idle from 1000 to 1500 when cold and drop down to about 750 when warm

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
obex26 said:
Your idle is normal.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
ShowStop said:
If you haven't done so recently, clean your throttle body. That was affecting my idle, but mostly making it rough. If that doesn't help, you might want to check your IAC (idle air control) valve and see if its clogged.
They replaced my TB and IAC when they did my motor, the old one they took apart to see what was causing the high idle, they said all the bearings in it were gone! all toasted and there was a bunch of sand in there... the IAC also had sand in it... im starting to think paper filter is the only way to go.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Check your PCV valve, your throttle body, and your idle air control valve. See if any of those parts are all gummed up with soot.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Thanks for the assurance. So far since owning it all I have done is put the gas in. The stealership is offering oil changes for 1 penny so with tax and fees it cost me 2.53 for an oil change. So I have not done those yet and I flushed the tranny another stealership special of $29.95.

·
Registered
279 Posts
How many miles on it? If you're over 30k on the same PCV valve change it. I've got a 150k miles and my throttle body was pretty clean when I took it apart @ 140k. I'm not sure why since a lot of other people find theirs is pretty messy.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Same problem as above. When cleaning, shoule i take the intake manifold off or just the Throttle body.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Schuey2002 said:
In addition to the IAC valve, maybe your throttle position sensor needs to be tweeked a weeeee bit..

I had a high idle on my '96 (2.7L), and I just loosened up the two philips heads screws slightly, then bumped the TPS a little bit one way, then back the other, until my idle was just right. ;)

Also, now that I'm thinking about things that could use a good inspection.. When was the last time ya'll checked your PCV valve. If you have a '98 with the original one still on the engine, it might be wise to replace it with a new one..
What shoud the low idle be? mine runs at 800-900 when warm. Does not seen to be reving...but then who knows. My wife's RAV4 idles at 750 or less.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
My 2.7 will idle high when cold and low down to about 700 when warm which apparently is normal. Also said above was at 140k their t.b. was clean. You must not have a k&n air intake or filter :rolleyes: my damn k&n dirties up my whole damn intake assembly so there for probably my engine.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Is it also normal for a cold engine to increase rpm's when the clutch is pushed in. Mine idles high, but I alway have to wait for the rpm's to drop before I let out on the clutch. This only happens when it is cold and my idle is high.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
no travis your truck just sucks lol just kidding. I haven't heard of that before, wierd

·
Registered
169 Posts
I really don't know what its deal is, when it is cold out and I don't let it warm up more than a couple of minutes because I have to get to class. I try to take it easy and shift around 2000 rpm's, but when I push the clutch in it will pick the rpm's up to 2200 it is wierd, but I think it is just because it is cold.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
my idle has increased to 1500-1700 rpm. i took the truck into the dealer and they said my computer was all corroded and that was causing it. i am still going to check the iacv. how much do you think a new comp. is and where do you get one?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts