TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading for a while now, and finally decided to register. I have been looking for a pickup for my first vehicle, and recently found one I like at a local car lot. It's a 1998 Tacoma 4x4, with a V6 engine, automatic transmission, and SR5 package. The truck has 140,000 miles, should I keep looking for a lower mileage truck? The only problems I can see are two small dents in the hood, and a tear in the driver's seat. The salesman wasn't around when I went to look at the truck, so I haven't gotten the chance to look under the hood or inside. Is there anything specific I need to check out (besides the usual stuff)? I've read that the timing belt should be replaced at 90,000 miles.

Thanks.

·
Ban Count: 12
1,815 Posts
The timing belt and water pump should have been changed out already. 140,000 miles isn't usually that bad on a Tacoma. It'll probably go another 100,000 easily, but you never know how hard it was driven or if it was abused at all. Buying a used vehicle is always a little riskier than getting a new vehicle. How much are they asking for it?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I don't know what they're asking, what is a reasonable price?

·
Ban Count: 12
1,815 Posts
Off hand, I couldn't tell you. It's a 10 year old truck, so you'd have to take that into consideration. Check out kbb.com and fill it out how you remember the truck and that should give you a rough idea on a decent price.

·
Split it open-Eat it out!
659 Posts
I recently bought a 98 with 147K. It has a lot more options than most trucks and I'm the second owner, with all records of maintanance...I paid 9k for this.

http://darklodge.com/tacoma/4sale/
I would think you should be able to buy the one you are looking at for around $7K

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I had a 96(3.4) with 150k on it and sold it for 6k in 2 days. It was running perfect.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
I got a pretty good deal on mine, but the owners wanted to sell quick. That is a lot of mileage on truck, but these 3.4L engines have proven reliable. There are owners on this site with twice that amount of mileage! If i were you, i would forget dealers and start looking on www.autotrader.com and start picking up the local truck trader from a gas station. A private owner will usually give you a better deal than a stealership, and as far as i can remember you dont have to pay sales tax from a personal owner!

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
also, if you are set on that truck, go make buddies with a shop somewhere and go pay another shop $20 to get the truck looked at! I want to move on from my truck, so i started looking around. I found a nice 99 runner with 99K on it that has no dents or scratches on it ANYWHERE. It looked immaculate! Then i took it to the stealership, and it needed 4wd work, it needed a timing belt, water pump, and valve covers!

why am i going to pay $10k for a truck thats worth 10k then go put $2000 into it?

just get someone to check it out!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies and reccomendations, everyone.
I recently bought a 98 with 147K. It has a lot more options than most trucks and I'm the second owner, with all records of maintanance...I paid 9k for this.

http://darklodge.com/tacoma/4sale/
I would think you should be able to buy the one you are looking at for around $7K
That is a nice truck!
Go make buddies with a shop somewhere and go pay another shop $20 to get the truck looked at!
Thanks, I'll start asking around. I'm just curious, what size tires did these trucks come with from the factory?

·
Registered
597 Posts
Thanks, I'll start asking around. I'm just curious, what size tires did these trucks come with from the factory?
31x10.5x15

·
Registered
2,509 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the reply! My dad and I are leaving in a couple of minutes to go look at trucks, does anyone else have an opinion? Thanks.

·
Registered
358 Posts
my 97 with 157000 miles was running like it was brand new, if you keep up on your maintenace tacos will run forever, i sold that truck for 6200 it was a single cab 5spd 3.4L with alomost 160K on it, and now i wish i still had it. i say GO FOR IT!

·
I LIVE FOR THIS
1,700 Posts
I've been reading for a while now, and finally decided to register. I have been looking for a pickup for my first vehicle, and recently found one I like at a local car lot. It's a 1998 Tacoma 4x4, with a V6 engine, automatic transmission, and SR5 package. The truck has 140,000 miles, should I keep looking for a lower mileage truck? The only problems I can see are two small dents in the hood, and a tear in the driver's seat. The salesman wasn't around when I went to look at the truck, so I haven't gotten the chance to look under the hood or inside. Is there anything specific I need to check out (besides the usual stuff)? I've read that the timing belt should be replaced at 90,000 miles.

Thanks.
A good rule of thumb is too look under the oil cap and if you see sludge anywere on the valve train walk away.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
if you dont take it to a 3rd party to get checked out, your crazy! Its always a good idea

good luck

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the replies, everyone! We went and test drove the truck today, it is very nice! The only things I saw wrong: the temp gauge doesn't work, the plastic panel on the left side of the seat is loose. My dad also liked it, but he wanted to keep looking before we settled on that truck.
On the way home, we stopped by a Toyota dealership, and saw a family unloading a bunch of stuff out of a Tacoma. It turns out they had just traded the truck in, and were transferring everything to their new truck. It is a 2003 Tacoma, Ext. Cab, AT, 4WD with only 48,000 miles. We got to talk to the former owner, he said he changed the oil every 3k miles and only used Toyota oil filters. He is a roofer, so naturally the truck was really dirty. My dad and I are going to go back tomorrow as soon as they open, to look it over, and to see what they are asking. Our thinking is that we should be able to get a better deal if they don't have to clean it themselves.

·
Premium Member
5,955 Posts
Most of us run in the 150-200+ mile range....these 3.4's give good miles and power for a long time , not too many major problems.....
engines are easy to get a hold of .....
I'm gonna buy a backup engine this summer so I can bore out the original and do some minor head porting work...
while still wheeling...!

·
Registered
305 Posts
153,000 miles and still running strong (3.4 V6). Good rule of thumb is to perform maintenance and not wait to perform repairs. You will hear good and bad about the AT's and MT's but you will get a little better mileage with the Manual tranny.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts