TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can get a high pinion third with 4.88 gears and spool for under $400. This would allow me to run a stock drive shaft and not have to get one made.
How much could I sell my 4cyl 4.88 with lockrite 3rd for do you guys think?
And would you run the spool in the front or not. I'm don't want to and heard it's not wise to run the high pinion spool set up in the front.
Thanks,
Alan

·
Going John Galt
31,844 Posts
do NOT run a spool up front. Even in the rear they are only a realistic option in rigs that never see pavement.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
do NOT run a spool up front. Even in the rear they are only a realistic option in rigs that never see pavement.
Good thing my junk is a trailer queen then :D

I had to run my Hi-9 front spool on the road briefly when I was in Ouray and IT SUCKED :scared: It's awesome on the trail, but the awesome-ness of it directly correlates to the how much turning radius you have and what kind of wheeling you want to do. A spooled front is definitely not for everybody. :2cents:

·
Going John Galt
31,844 Posts
Good thing my junk is a trailer queen then :D

I had to run my Hi-9 front spool on the road briefly when I was in Ouray and IT SUCKED :scared: It's awesome on the trail, but the awesome-ness of it directly correlates to the how much turning radius you have and what kind of wheeling you want to do. A spooled front is definitely not for everybody. :2cents:
ever try it w/o hydro assist? :p

·
Registered
256 Posts
When I locked the front of mine =$$$$$

Hydro assist - .(couldn't steer in 4wd)

Chromolly -birfields .

Stock steering pump couldn't keep up with the hydro assist . New trail gear 1650psi steering pump !!

And I've broken all kinds of stuff and that's with a lock right .
I couldn't imagine the kind of issues with a spool .

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for strengthening my opinions on not wanting the spool. If i were to get the high pinion it would be for under $400 and i have a spare lock right at the house. Could i just replace the spool with my lock right and be good to go? If so how much do you think my 4cyl 3rd with a lockrite and 4.88's to recoup some cost.
Thanks,
Alan

·
7,735 Posts
It get's even more interesting when there's snow/ice on the road.

In case the above isn't clear... it's not recommended at all :lmao:

EDIT: Even running a spool in the rear on icy roads gets a bit interesting. Make sure you know how the back end will move around before you try it in the hills and/or in traffic.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
ever try it w/o hydro assist? :p
Who puts a spool up front w/o assist? :suicide:

If you're putting a spool up front w/o a ram.....you're doing it wrong.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I ran a spooled front on IFS and 36's :dunno: loved it!
Yeah, you had locking hubs though. I should have clarified...I was thinking spool+slugs up front.

·
Going John Galt
31,844 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts