TTORA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from a fantastic off road Vacation in Moab and thought I would share a few pictures of some great wheeling in a great place to wheel.
For the last 5 years my wife and I have headed east to Moab, Utah to spend some time with a good friend and offroad Guru Bill Burke. Each year Bill does Holidays in Moab where we get to hit a variety of trails with a group of offroaders who are there to just have fun.
This year was as great as the last 4 years. We had 3 Jeep Rubicons, Bill's Landrover and our 2006 Tacoma. We usually get some pretty good looks the first day out since the Jeepers really don't understand what a Toyota can actually do. Any way here are a few Pics.

Complementary Crack Crossing.

Side trip to Gemini Bridges

Tacoma's are always good to extract Jeep Rubicons from bad situations.

Bill Burke and Strike Ravine

Time to Chain Up. The rock was real Slickrock with the ice and snow build up. Strike Ravine

Yes we did make it up Strike Ravine. Only 1 Rubicon attempted but didn't make it all the way. Oh Well.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
662 Posts
That looks like a LOT of fun. What other trails did you run? Also, with the epic grip gone in the snow, did you have to take precautions beyond tire chains? (pre-emptive straps or anything)

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That looks super fun!! I've always wanted to go to Moab.
If you ever get the chance to go take it. We like to head that direction at least once a year. The winter has been a great time to go but it adds another stage of fun dealing with the cold and snow.

That looks like a LOT of fun. What other trails did you run? Also, with the epic grip gone in the snow, did you have to take precautions beyond tire chains? (pre-emptive straps or anything)
It was a Great Time. We were there for about 5 days and covered several trails. Since we are dealing with snow, Ice and cold there would be days when some of the areas mostly north facing are dangerous for the mixed group that we were with so we would bypass those areas. Here were some of the trails. Gemini Bridges ( easy run for the most part), Strike ravine, Parts of Metal Masher, Behind the Rocks, Bull Canyon, Seven Mile Rim, Parts of Golden Spike and some areas behind Arches National park that we could access. I probably missed a few areas on the list but a great time anyway.

I carried the chains in the back of the truck most of the time but did use them at Strike Ravine. I wanted to get up the one section shown on the pictures. We found that the KM2s did well aired down to about 16psi.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Holidays in Moab 2013 to 2014

Happy New Year to everyone on TTORA. My wife and I just got back from another year end Holidays in Moab with our good friend, mentor and all around great guy Bill Burke. The group this year consisted of 1 Defender (Bill's), 3 Jeep Rubicons, 1 Lexus, and our Tacoma with an additional 4 runner during the 2nd day out. We did have a pretty good Toyota representation this year.
We would have liked to seen a little more snow but it didn't happen this year. There was a few areas mostly at the higher elevations where the snow was 1' + with some icy climbs but for the most part the weather was mild. The wheeling is fun with some areas on the trails that are difficult to the point there will be winching and using our tire chains. Bill will take the group through a mixture of areas with fantastic scenery, some technical side routes with mixtures of Rock, Ice, sand and snow. New Years Eve is a fun night run and ending the year around a campfire with friends. This trip is a great way to end the year and bring in the New Year.
Pictures.

Cool Picture

Have to show this one :confused:

Just scenery

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Holidays in Moab 2013 to 2014

This Trail is probably the most fun. Top of The World. I know that some of you have been up this trail during spring or summer months but add some snow and ice and let the fun begin. More Pictures :)

Getting ready to winch.

Chain up for this section.

Top of the World

Reward for the day

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great photos, thanks for sharing! You know you're having fun when there's red mud on your truck.
Yea, We usually try to wait until we get back home before we clean it. Had a lot of red dirt and a whole lot of fun. Here are a few more pictures.

Couple of Jeeps :confused:

·
Registered
137 Posts
love it! nice pics man.......boy do i miss Moab its been a few years since ive been there but the butt puckering memories are fresh.lol.....yeah that sounds weird

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
love it! nice pics man.......boy do i miss Moab its been a few years since ive been there but the butt puckering memories are fresh.lol.....yeah that sounds weird
A little weird, but I know exactly what you mean. The Moab trip has been some great memories. Hope you make it back there in the near future.

I haven't been able to schedule it but I would like to do the same trails in the spring or early fall.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts