TTORA Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
This thread is closed (Dates are wrong) The new dates are July 21st & 22nd and the new thread is over at http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65026

OK, after some discussion about this trip and much interest, let's get it together.

I used to live in Red Cliff and got to know the jeep roads in this area pretty well. One of my favorites is Yoder Creek. I rarely saw others on this road and believe it is still fairly unknown. It is very close to Homestack Rd which is where you go to do Holy Cross City.

I'm thinking that Yoder Creek would be a good warm up for Saturday and then we could do Holy Cross on Sunday.

Please weigh in on the date. Does it work for anybody?

Also, we could camp in Camp Hale or maybe stay somewhere up in Leadville. What are your thoughts about that?

That time of year is about as good as it gets for the high country but it is a ways off. So we'll have to plan some other stuff between now and then to keep us busy.

What do you think?

·
Eats Own Boogers
1,489 Posts
*whispers* It's 'Homestake' Rd.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jade,
You must live in that area now, uh? Where do you live? I'm now down in Glenwood. And what do you think about Yoder? I was thinking that going up the trail (instead of the usual down) might be interesting. Maybe we would have to winch up that first bank. It might create some more fun in the bogs up above too. Might be a fun challenge.

Also would you be willing to help me pre-run stuff to make sure it's open etc?

Can you think of a better second trail? Actually we could probably run more than one on Saturday. Then maybe just Holy Cross on Sunday so people can limp home by dinner. How does the date work for you?

And, yes, you're right about Homestake. Thanks for keeping me straight.:eek:

·
Eats Own Boogers
1,489 Posts
I live in Eagle-Vail and I'd be willing to pre-run stuff for certain. Unfortunately I can't think of where this Yoder trail is:doh: , could you give me a brief description? I may simply know it by another name. I don't have anything planned for that specific weekend, but keep in mind that it's the very weekend after Take Over (I'm going). Some folk (and their rides) might be on the mend.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jade,
Check out Yoder at the 4x4Trails link. It's one I found just pokin' around following lines on maps. I always had the sense that just a few hunters went in there from the top and then went back out the top. That can't really be true, however, because there are always some pretty good ruts in the swampy areas. The bottom dumps out over a really bloody steep bank right onto the railroad grade next to the tracks. This was even more interesting when there were trains running. Then you exit (if you are going down) by driving next to the tracks for a half mile or so. That was always scary because it felt wildly illegal. Let me know if you need more directions. It's not easy to find.

Yea, I thought about the Take Over this afternoon (I'm not going, unfortunantly). I think I can go the next weekend. That's probably better. I'm hoping some people weigh in here pretty soon (I'll bet that lurking :xzzz: Guapo never did Yoder :p ). Meanwhile, tell me about your ride.

http://www.4x4trails.net/db_view_trail.php?trailNum=219

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
Well the date works but it bumps up right against takeover http://www.ttora.com/takeover/ which Troy and I are going to. Hmmm.. any chance late July would work? If not I am sure Troy and I can try and swing it - but if we have to chose between the two we have already commited to TO.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Molly,
Let's see, you're right, it would be nice to move it up instead of back. Sooner is better, right? How about July 21-22. That's two weeks before Take Over. Does that work for you, Jade? The third and fourth weekends in August work for me as well, but I do like July. What do you think?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh yea, you're all in Cruzer. I was wondering when you'ld wonder by. So do you look OK for July 21-22? Are you down with camping or an alternative?

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
That 21-22 looks good so far, but I'll have to check with my better half to be sure and decide which accommodations are acceptible. Can you point me to camping options in the area? thx

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cruzer,
Camp Hale is a big broad fairly flat valley bottom where the Tenth Mt Division was based during WW1. The Eagle River runs through it and I should be able to find a nice place by the river where we could all spread out if we wanted to (or not). From Camp Hale you have a very good concentration of 4x4 roads going in all directions (the Jeep Jamboree was held there one year). The problem with motels is that the Vail area is expensive and a ways away (the other side of Battle Mt pass). Leadville is also a ways away (the other side of Tennessee pass) and may be cheaper but still possibly on the high side.

Here's what I'll do. I'll establish a camp and be there (i'll publish the details). Then folks can do what they want - camp in the group camp (or near by), camp somewhere else, go to a motel, or commute home. There you go - total freedom :wiggle:

·
Eats Own Boogers
1,489 Posts
Sorry, crazy day.

Yoder:
As it happens, I did Yoder about two years ago; before lifting my truck. I wandered up No Name Road remembering from when I lived in that Sylvan Lake 'hood that at the end, it was pretty gnarly and you could go clear up to what I think was Homestake Mtn. Well, you can't go clear up any longer, so I just started wandering around on established trails. After a while I realized that I was getting close to US 24 and dropped in just across from Camp Hale at Pando. Just before the drop it was pretty rutted and wet. I was bumping the underside on occasion and after getting into the trees, it was pretty tight.

Redcliff:
What about that trail that's real close to town on the right just a short way up Turkey Creek Rd (or is it called Shrine Pass Rd?) I did that one some years ago while there was still quite a bit of snow. It let us out someplace along Chicago Ridge by Ski Cooper. (Did you know Eloy Sandovol? He lives right there at the turn to go up to Shrine Pass. He stopped by and I asked him if he knew where Yoder was located.)

July 21-22 work for me as well, at this stage. Even if it turns out that I can't make it, I'll still pre-run what I'm able to.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jade,
Yea, you the man. That's pretty much exactly the way I found Yoder. And yea, Eloy, it's ringin' a bell. I'm thinking he had the ramshacle place right at the corner on the left as you come into town - just across the creek. Did he do upholstry? Something is telling me that. The guy I'm thinking about has been there forever.

There are roads to the left and the right just out of town up Turkey Creek. The one I think you are talking about is a little further up. There is a creek crossing here that will wash you away if you try it too early (I have some stories). After the creek there is a fork. Left goes up Wearyman Creek to Ptarmigan Pass. Right goes up to a pretty ridge that leads to a road that will take you to the tippy top top of Resolution Peak (elevation 11,570'). From there you would go down McAllister Gulch which can be interesting especially if it's wet.

To get to Chicago Ridge you would have to come down to the Eagle River valley around Camp Hale from either of these roads and then go back up another mountain to get near Chicago Ridge. I know there is a road over on the Chicago Ridge side of the valley I had on my list but never tried.

What I am thinking for this trip in July is this: bright and early Sat morning we go up McAllister Gulch to the top of Resolution Peak (great 360 views); then down the road you speak of to Red Cliff for lunch at Reno's; then we do Yoder in the afternoon. Sunday we do Holy Cross for the grand finale.

I'm counting on you to help set this up and help lead the trail runs. What do you think. Are you in? Like I said, "You the man".

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh Jade,BTW, did you know a crazy chick named Christy Boshard up in Sylvan Lakes?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Troy and Molly,
What's up with you guys :xzzz: ? Are ya in. Does this July date work for ya'll?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Jade, Your truck looks awsome. I love "COMA". I'm getting tired of "Taco".

·
Eats Own Boogers
1,489 Posts
Gee :eek:, guess that I'd best familiarize myself with that area a little bit better huh?

I've never eaten at Reno's, but there's also Mango's. I don't know if it was there ten years ago, but I do know that it's been rebuilt rather recently and will hold small crowds as they usually have bands on the weekends.

Eloy was the bus driver. His place is the first one on the left if you were to come in on the high (narrow) road. I think that most of Redcliff are his offspring.

I really didn't know anyone at Sylvan Lakes, I spent most of my nights sleeping in the back of my truck in the Vail Parking Structure, back when you could get away with it.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Prodigy,
Hey man, thanks for kicking in. With a little help from you guys pre-running things this will be a great trip.

Allright! I'm psyched. It looks like we have ourselves a trip. I'm going to start a new thread with the right date. I'll see you all over there.

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
Yes Yes Yes! July Trip! Sorry busy doing taxes ya know!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.