TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
7,735 Posts
Also, for the record.. started at 11am, saw 2-3 other groups of ATV'ers (that let us pass).. think I saw only 1 or 2 other groups all day and never waited for anybody other than our group on each obstacle. Finished, packed up camp, aired up (all in the rain by the way) and hit pavement by 8pm.

·
7,735 Posts
The water level was really low in the creek. It made alot of rocks look quite a bit bigger than past years (and kind of strange too). But the 20 yards past the creek did change a bit (happens every year I'm sure).

There was some winching going on after we were done playing in the rain.

I'd like a shot at it with dry(er) rocks and an empty creek. I'm sure with enough work I could get thru there unassisted, but it wasn't happening for me this trip so I pulled line pretty quick.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, that section after the creek presents an interesting challenge. Ike and I made it through under our power without pulling line anywhere all day. But it wasn't always easy. Holy Cross is a fun trail in a rig with limited articulation like an IFS Taco, especially when its muddy and wet. I cannot imagine how the creek would look totally dry, but I would love to run it when it is and see how much different everything is up there.

·
Registered
6,489 Posts
Yeah, that section after the creek presents an interesting challenge. Ike and I made it through under our power without pulling line anywhere all day. But it wasn't always easy. Holy Cross is a fun trail in a rig with limited articulation like an IFS Taco, especially when its muddy and wet. I cannot imagine how the creek would look totally dry, but I would love to run it when it is and see how much different everything is up there.
and you and ike also had front lockers making that line possible :cool:

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not just the lockers, but 33's on mine and 35.5's on Ike's truck certainly didn't hurt through that section either, given how easy it is to get hung up in those big rocks and mud. I made it through this trail unassisted last year (before I had a front locker) though. So it may have been the 33's and that little bit of extra clearance they provided last year that got me through, plus a different line through the creek last year.

That far right line across the creek we ran this year felt like a front locker line, though I did not engage the front locker until I was already well up onto it I know it helped pull me through the top muddy/rocky portion. Also, conditions up there change a lot the way things move around, which is always fun. Taller tires and a front locker certainly both help a lot on that trail. I think the sign at the trailhead is pretty fair in terms of the equipment list it recommends. Kudos to you and Doug for running it on 32's open in the front. It wasn't easy, but personally, I don't see anything wrong with pulling line to get through a tough obstacle. I was certainly prepared to. Sure its fun to get through without it, but when its just not getting it, that's what the winch is for.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts