TTORA Forum banner

Holy throttle body!!

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  ah64id 
#1 · (Edited)
As some of you guys know its difficult to get to the throttle body on the 2.7. I have cleaned it a few times in 100K, but I have never looked in there past the butterfly. I just go at it with feel because of its location. Today, I had some help and was able to look in there with a spotlight. Holy shit its bad. Does anyone know how to get this stuff out? Should I take the throttle body apart? Is it difficult? I will include a phot of what I think needs to be removed in order to do this, but is there any other tricks to this?

Here is the gunk back in there. It does not look like its hard to get to, but it is.

Do I just remove these hoses and the bolts that attch the throttle body to the exhaust system? Any tips on the throttle cable.. The red arrow shows about where it starts, and about where my hand will not get in there anymore.

Thanks for the help. I searched but did not find much info past the common stuff on taking it apart and basic cleaning.

See less See more
#2 ·
jhunter said:
As some of you guys know its difficult to get to the throttle body on the 2.7. I have cleaned it a few times in 100K, but I have never looked in there past the butterfly. I just go at it with feel because of its location. Today, I had some help and was able to look in there with a spotlight. Holy shit its bad. Does anyone know how to get this stuff out? Should I take the throttle body apart? Is it difficult? I will include a phot of what I think needs to be removed in order to do this, but is there any other tricks to this?

Here is the gunk back in there. It does not look like its hard to get to, but it is.

Do I just remove these hoses and the bolts that attch the throttle body to the exhaust system? Any tips on the throttle cable.. The red arrow shows about where it starts, and about where my hand will not get in there anymore.

Thanks for the help. I searched but did not find much info past the common stuff on taking it apart and basic cleaning.
taking off the throttle body isn't that bad..you remove the 6 hoses on the top there,unplug the TPS and IAC sensors,unbolt the TB(2bolts and 2 nuts),and there are 2 more coolant hoses on the bottom(easier to get these off after you remove the bolts that hold the TB on) of it that you can take loose with a pair of long neddle nose pliers and it's off..Get a new gasket for it before you remove it tho..Then you can clean the TB and the air intake chamber with carb. cleaner really well..

#3 ·
Thanks man, I will pick up a new gasket for it. I assume you just place it in there before you assemble it, no sealant or anything right. I assume its about a 2 hour job if you take your time? I was running out of daylight today and my house is not complete yet, so I have no garage..

Also, what did you do with the throttle cable and stuff attached to it? Did you remove it, or just remove the cable?

#4 ·
You can get some BG Intake cleaner in a spray can and it will clean it good.
You can spray it in that hose when it is running. and then get a BG 44K
and put in your gas tank.

#5 · (Edited)
The cable is easy too,just roll the throttle back and unhook the cable from the track,then there is 2 -14mm nuts holding the cable to the bracket,just loosen those just a little and pull the cable off the supporting bracket.

you just need the gasket..no sealant is needed..just be sure you get all the old one off without scratching either part up to bad.

#7 ·
BIGTOYOTA said:
You can get some BG Intake cleaner in a spray can and it will clean it good.
You can spray it in that hose when it is running. and then get a BG 44K
and put in your gas tank.
I thought about that, but this stuff is built up in there pretty good. Where would the chunks go, and would they hurt anything? I sprayed some intake cleaner in there and used a rag to catch most of it. The stuff you see is very deep in there and I can't collect it. I will just take it apart. I would like to know how to tear down this engine anyway. This is a start. I plan on keeping it for life, so I will need to get into the engine sometime im sure.

Thanks for the help guys, I will take photos and put them in photobucket in case anyone wants to do it and needs pictures.

#8 ·
Update for future throttle body searchs. With only cleaning up to the butterfly and around edge of it, my trucks problem is now gone. It has some stick to the pedal off the start, and would idle rough after warmed up at red lights and stuff. I went in to get the gasket and planned on going ahead and cleaning behind the butterfly, but talked to a trusted tech first. He said they would not do that in the service, and said there is no reason to do so. He said as long as you get around the butterfly, and in the canal that leads to it, your good. He said it would acually be a waste of my time to do so, but did say if I insisted to make sure to get the gasket. He said its hard to take it apart without tearing it.

#9 ·
#10 ·
98taco, Nice writeup. I might do this at 150K. I am still getting decent mpg, but once I get down under 17.5 or to 150K, this will be my next project. I hate jacking with these engines. Tight space, and tons of hoses and shit. I worry that I forgot to put one back on every time I do any work on it!

#11 ·
98taco4x said:
Here you go if you want to do a real good job.
http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51994
I would at least take the throttle body off and clean it completely and I just used some carb cleaner and a tooth brush
Be sure to use a EFI cleaner that is 02 sensor and electronics safe. Not sure of the placement of the TPS on the 2.7 but on the 22RE you can destroy the TPS with normal carb cleaner.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.