TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a longshot feeler here, but please read on if you've got residential construction skills and experience...

We have our demo permit in-hand and are finally starting Demo of the old house and garage in prep to build the new house and garage/workshop on our lot here in Black Canyon City. The house plan drawings are still being held up, so it'll still be a few weeks or months before we get the building permit. I will be serving as my own GC/owner-builder, (with the help and advice of a couple of GC's we have in the family). We will be doing as much of the labor and skilled trades work ourselves as we can in an attempt to save money and just because we want to build as much of our home ourselves as we can. But we don't have the skills and experience to do everything. I'm a woodworker and cabinet maker so interior furniture and finish trim will be on me, but I still might need some help with the carpentry if I get behind. Also, we've already found a few specialty contractors (plumber, electrician, framer) to assist with a few of the trades -- but not all.

If anyone around here has specific builder grade trade skills and might be looking for a few days or weeks of work at some point in the coming months let me know. There might be a chance that we could put your skills to work on our new house/shop. I know its a long shot, but I'd rather hire one of my TTORA buds who I know than some stranger from the phone book. So PM me if you're a painter, drywall installer, concrete guy, grader/paver, HVAC pro, roofer or whatever - particularly if you'd be interested at some point over the coming 6 months or so in spending some days moonlighting your services to help us build the house.

PM me with your list of trade skills, years of experience, general availability (such as weekend moonlighting only, 5 days a week, etc) and a name and phone number, and if we think we can put you to work, I'll call you when we come to that point in the build and we can work out the details from there.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
I do concrete, tile, rock etc. I'm sure that's no help though, being kinda far away.

In december I'll be in San Diego. I may extend my stay if Dick decides he wants me to some work up north(Dick?............:D)

Or I could go east...

Can we see pictures when you start building?

·
Premium Member
12,932 Posts
Well I'm having flooring put in this week. Some new man made tile stuff for the kitchen and the guest bath where there is that vinyl shit now and recarpeting all the bedrooms. I don't know what possed the guy who owned this place before to put in white carpet but I ain't having nothing to do with it. Been there and done that so I'm nippin this one in the bud from the get go.

The only tile work I'll have left is a couple of small patches in the master walk in when the closet organizers get done. They'll be putting down some cedar leaving not enough tiling to get anyone worked up over.
The big problem there is matching the tile that's in the bath now. I've searched this place high and low and there aren't any leftovers that I could find. The only spare tiles I could find were for the stove surround in my cave which I'll probably end up ripping out anyway.

I just hired a guy to clean up the understory and thin out the trees on my property but unless you're a logger or jack that ain't your gig. After the logs get a season of two on em so I can skin em, I'll be doing some terracing, how are you at handling a skid steer or track loader? LOL

I do concrete, tile, rock etc. I'm sure that's no help though, being kinda far away.

In december I'll be in San Diego. I may extend my stay if Dick decides he wants me to some work up north(Dick?............:D)

Or I could go east...

Can we see pictures when you start building?

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
PMs received. Thanks, I'll get back to you guys if/when we come to the point where we can use the help.

House pics? I've got a gallery set up on FB where progress pics of the new house will go, though there's not really anything in it yet. Stay tuned or find me on FB, Wainiha.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
WI don't know what possed the guy who owned this place before to put in white carpet but I ain't having nothing to do with it. Been there and done that so I'm nippin this one in the bud from the get go.
Yea, I imagine it'd get covered in Fritz' hair, peanut butter, and sploodge very quickly.:lmao:

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Like taking pee out of a swimming pool. You can't remove something once it's in your brain.

Thanks for the image howyadoin:p

1 - 6 of 6 Posts