TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thankfully Home Depot is just around the corner from me!

Having purchased a Optima RedTop the other week, I needed to do something about the OE hold down. This will suffice until I after I get a dual battery, when I'd like to go to an aftermarket/fab I've seen advertised on TTORA (those are sweet!)

Material List

length of 1-1/2" x 1/8" steel
10" of 1" angle iron
4 flathead 10-24 bolts and nyloc bolts
6-3/4" x 10-1/4" x 3/4" birch ply
6-3/4" x 5/8" x 3/4" birch ply (qty = 2)
4 1-1/4" wood screws

Cut the 3/4" birch ply into the dimensions above. This fits perfectly in the plastic battery tray. Glued and screwed the 6-3/4" x 5/8" ply strips to the ends of the ply base. Picture and elongated "u" if viewed sideways. The Optima battery fits neatly into the seat.

Cut the 1-1/2" x 1/8" steel to approximate length (longer). the drilled 2 3/8" holes for the fasteners. Drilled the rear hole about 3/8" from the end. The distance to the front hole is 11-1/4". Had to bend a slight 'jog' into the 1-1/2" to account for the differing heights of the front mount and the top of the battery (allowing for the 1/8" thick angle iron)

Cut 2 5" lengths of the 1" angle iron.

Set the battery into the ply base then set into truck. Using the front bolt and rear j-hook I attached everything, and before tightening down, slipped the angle iron into place. (I placed masking tape, to draw my marks on.)

Removed the assembly, drilled and countersank the flat head machine bolts, removed excess steel from the 1-1/2" stock. It is important that you use the flat head bolts 'upside down'. The flathead part of the screw goes 'against' the battery. Actually, when countersinking take just a bit more so the screw ends up being just slighty (1 BCH) lower than the surrounding angle iron. Bolted it all up and reinstalled.

And yes, I should've put two fasteners on the front angle iron :eek: I scrounged through all my leftover USAF aircraft benchstock (these 10-24 fasteners [thousands of them] hold our aircraft together :) ) and could only find three. So I made do....

Just need to remove and paint....

Rick

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks good Rick...

can I have yer oem hold down since you won't be needing that ? :)
Yes, Dell you can have the OE one. Or can I fab the pieces for you. You can assemble.. :D

if you bring that by i can weld up the upper pieces for you.
Really?! That'd be cool :) - can you do the Hi-Lift mounts also :D

I'll shoot you a PM

Rick

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Yes, Dell you can have the OE one. Or can I fab the pieces for you. You can assemble.. :D
sweet...

yers design looks fine...
but I like using the oem unit... with a little of :saw: and :welder:
I think it flexes less then flatstock would

After I mod that a little... you might want it back :p

·
Registered
412 Posts
Nice, but could use more mudflap.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts