TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've looked around for a front bush guard but the only one I can find is a used Taco TRD Stock from a Yota parts pig who wants $1000 for it. I got a 96 Taco, no lift. I'm pretty good with a stinger :welder: and I'm just wondering if theres anyone who's made there own bush guard? If I could get my hands on a stock one I could get some mesurements and just fab one up, but I've been unable to see one. THe local delarships have to order one in, and have none to scope out.

I know, I know, I'm cheap, but :2cents: money is tight and I can get a small deal on Chrome so I can get it all done for less then $1k. Thats if I don't like it black.

If anyone can give me some info or tips I would greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
539 Posts
PlayDoh said:
If anyone can give me some info
If your as proficient a weldor as you claim - then just come up with you own original design and make it work. Any pics of what you have seen that you like would help.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
TBob said:
just curious what does that mean?
build it and have it cromed? go black crome:)

·
Registered
539 Posts
Chrome and bumper should never be used in the same sentence - at least not with a 4X

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know a guy who can get me a discount on Chrome coating, but its still pricey. As for Fabing a nice bush guard by looking at pictures, I'm sure it would take forever to get it right. I worked in a metal fab shop for a few years so I have some experience. If I had a plasma torch, break, and money to make mistakes I'm sure it would be an "eye-ball" job.

Ideally, I'd like to get one to "see how it looks" and make a jig for it and order some pre-made steel. lol As for the Chrome, I could and likely will live with black, but Chrome would be sweet. I just put some nice chrome roll-bars on her and it looks like a different truck. Also I don't need anything monstrous, just to mount some lights and a winch, and save the lights and hood from the twigs.

I can hook someone up with Auto-CAD if there willing to make some measurements/specs of a Warn or similar guard.

·
Registered
148 Posts
for 1k im sure you could buy an arb and have it chrome plated..........

·
Registered
305 Posts
i like my truck to be shiny when its clean but chrome is too bling bling for my taste but to each his own

·
Registered
19 Posts
My bull bar is made out of 3/16 steel plating wrapped with 3 inch wide diamond plate and 5 inch water line pipes. I can mount lights on it and it will protect me from everything but a tree. I drilled 4 1/2 inch holes through each frame rail and then added plates so that the frame rails would not collapse ( the frame is really weak up there). The 3/16 steel is in an L shape so that it could also have a place for a skid plate. The 2 vertical pieces are around 28 inches but my truck has a 3 inch body lift. The vertical rails are also narrower than the light by 1.5 inches to allow for the diamond plate. They mount straight off the rails which are also around 1.5 inches from the lights.If you want to have side gaurds then just get some 1/4 or 3'8 wire and then make your loops out of 1 inch pipe with 2 90 degree bends in them. I don't have a camera but it basically looks like a big police push bar. The hard part is getting someone to hold the bars level while you tack weld them. Make some wood cutouts and after you cut the steel tack weld them together and then grind on them so both sides are perfect. Then just mount it

1 - 10 of 10 Posts