TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been looking around the net trying to find another option to the piece of $300 almost $400 plastic made by ARB and came across this http://www.bc4x4.com/tech/2005/snorkel/. it may not look as clean but it seems more walet friendly, what do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I think you should spend a couple hours fooling with 30 bucks worth of abs pipe/silicone. You would end up w an in cab snorkle that looks clean, really clean..............ok you cant even see it...

Look at my garage post, "why not", for ideas.

D

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
how much did you spend buying your truck in the first place? Why would you skimp on something relatively cheap like an ARB snorkel, and hang PVC on your truck instead? I've thought of building my own as well, but keep coming back to this point.

And the interior snorkels are cool, and I'm not including them in the above point since you can't see them.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
no the question is why would you spend 500 on a plastic piece of crap when you can do it for close to free. or another question could be, why would you want to go with that round tube version cause that does look like shit and you will see it whenever you look at your truck.

if you just want people to see your cool snorkle then i guess the hidden one, while perfectly functional and cheap to make, would not appeal to you.

D

·
Registered
508 Posts
if you just want people to see your cool snorkle then i guess the hidden one, while perfectly functional and cheap to make, would not appeal to you.

D
if your running it through your A/C system you have a cold air intake;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am with you. I can't see $350 bucks in the Safari snorkel. Just a coupla years ago it was $189. I think their profit margin is pretty high on that item. I just emailed the owner of Daystar to see if he might consider desigining and manufacturing one. Meanwhile, I am going to look into designing and building my own. I'm thinking I could make a decent looking one-off unit out of fiberglass. Seems like you could lay up a nice form-fitting exterior tube using foam as a mold. I already have an AFE cold-air intake system on my 2000 Tacoma, so I will want to make the snorkel match up to that. We'll see what happens.:welder:

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
no the question is why would you spend 500 on a plastic piece of crap when you can do it for close to free. or another question could be, why would you want to go with that round tube version cause that does look like shit and you will see it whenever you look at your truck.

D
No, that's what I'm saying as well. the in cab-style like you were talking about is cool. but if you could do that, why would you consider skimping on another way that everybody sees. to me it's do it right with either the in cab snorkel or the ARB- don't use pvc on the outside. Just my :2cents: though

·
Registered
240 Posts
No, that's what I'm saying as well. the in cab-style like you were talking about is cool. but if you could do that, why would you consider skimping on another way that everybody sees. to me it's do it right with either the in cab snorkel or the ARB- don't use pvc on the outside. Just my :2cents: though
you can have your cake and eat it too!

I made one out of dryer vent tubing and fiberglass. Turned out pretty well. For everyday use I cap it off right there where it exits the fender and leave the deckplate mod open. For trail rides that will see a lot of water I can then extend it to where ever I need, though it will usually just have a pvc elbow on it, and close the deckplate.

Now you see it, now you don't.

My experience with an in-cab snorkle was much more noise in the cabin... FYI

http://s449.photobucket.com/albums/qq212/Packrat01/packrat snorkle/

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
mine isnt too bad unless youre revin the shit out of it.

D

·
Registered
481 Posts
you can have your cake and eat it too!

I made one out of dryer vent tubing and fiberglass. Turned out pretty well. For everyday use I cap it off right there where it exits the fender and leave the deckplate mod open. For trail rides that will see a lot of water I can then extend it to where ever I need, though it will usually just have a pvc elbow on it, and close the deckplate.

Now you see it, now you don't.

My experience with an in-cab snorkle was much more noise in the cabin... FYI

http://s449.photobucket.com/albums/qq212/Packrat01/packrat snorkle/
Sweet, did you do a write-up by any chance?

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I was thinking the same thing. Although you can sort of walk your self through it with the pictures he took.

But again thats a nice snorkel. I like how its right above the hood.

·
Registered
240 Posts

Sorry, no real write up, just a photo document in the photobucket album.
There are photo descriptions that should help you along too.

What questions those won't answer just ask.

·
Registered
508 Posts

D
do you have a write up on the install, i know there was around here, but i cant seem to find it

·
Registered
2,244 Posts

D
When my little 4 banger is trying to get up into the mountains, the radio gets real damn loud for some reason ;)

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
do you have a write up on the install, i know there was around here, but i cant seem to find it
You can do it with this or that or whatever, main thing is watch out for the ECU behind the kick panel. When you drill the kick panel, I think the arbor/ bit will clear it, but if you stab all the way through with the hole saw you will probably nick it. The gaping hole to the right is another thing; not relevant. The lower left hole is through the cab right behind the kick panel; the ECU is back there somewhere.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts