TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone built there on control arms? I feel like it wouldn't be to hard, but haven't ever seen it. Is it just not worth the trouble when you can buy aftermarket ones for a couple hunda? Would be for a 98 tacoma.

not necessarily looking for a long travel but a midtravel would probably handle my needs and figure if i was to build them i might as well get some more travel out, just dont want to go to wide with it. It would be more for rocks and what not, no sand here in South Carolina.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
i thought about building a set for my rear link setup, but didnt. Most use a bushing at one end and very large heim at the other so it doesn't "roll." The shock should be mounted about 1.5-2" below the centerline of the link to also help keep it from rolling. there's alot of design involved in them like using thinner overlapped plate to save on weight but still be strong. thats about all I know on them.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've built links before, i have a Jeep TJ linked that is my trail rig, in the works atleast.

Looking at the aftermarket upper control arms for tacomas, i dont see it being difficult. run bushings on the frame end and then uniballs. Im not to sure what i'd do for the lower though.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I think doing it right would be more work than it's worth. You would really need to build a precsion jig to assemble it. Otherwise getting the geometry right would be a problem. You'd have to build both a left and a right jig. No way I would fuck with all that unless I was selling them. By the time you pay for the jig, buy the 4130, and then pay to finish them, you could have bought3 sets.

The only good reason to build shit yourself is to get things that nobody makes. To get things exactly the way you want them. Then the cost is worth it. I've made things now and then that saved me a few bucks, but most of the bigger stuff always ends up costing more. YMMV

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would tackle uppers first as they are simpler. You can buy 2 uniballs from wheelers for $120, bushings for frame end is about $40-50. You might could use something besides uniballs, and i know some use heims for the frameside. I agree only way to do it would be to build a jig, but i wouldn't think that would be that hard or expensive, I know of atleast 3 other guys locally that would be interested in a set of arms so it would be worth it building a jig. I'm not sure what most companys use as far as size wise for the tube, but you wouldn't have but maybe 3' into both arms.

I would think you could build a pair for less then $300 factoring in the jig with it too, thats a lot cheaper then $700+ what most want for them.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm talking about A-arms, not trying to link it btw. I would want to be able to adjust the cast and camber to correct the alignment after lifting, get some extra travel, and beef it up considerably. All while keep 4wd and stock CV's unless there was a huge amount of advantage in running a tundra or t100 cv. Being able to get a CV easily is a must.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Been reading a lot of threads and doing as much research as i can. I'll probably build boxed uppers first and see how that goes and make a jig. Then when i have the money, build the LT boxed i'm sure unless i have a tube bender between now and then. I started a thread over on TWorld under the 1st gen section and got some feedback.

Only reason i wouldnt want to do LT is my truck sees rocks and no desert, i wont give up 4wd and keeping manual hubs seems to be a bit of a pain. I guess if worst comes to worst i'll throw an ADD in with tundra axles but i would rather not and i'm not trying to pay 800 for a custom set of CV's.

And before someone asks or tells me, I dont plan on a SAS ever probably. I have a solid axle rig that gets the job done fine and i want something different.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Im pondering building a set of uppers with heims. Ive trashed my truck so hard with alignment cams maxed camber is not even close. (frame is bent from several HARD HITS!) Frame shop got it close to spec but its still off.

A common misconception for lt and retaining 4wd. I have the camburg kit and run tundra cv's on my 01. 55 a pop and i have had them for almost 15,000 miles and boots are still in great shape. I can not speak for the tc kit and having to buy their 800.00 cvs'.

Add isn't bad, and there is a conversion to run the disconnecting hubs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts