TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have hood scoops on your Tacoma? Would like to see some pics. There are single ones, double seperate ones and double attached ones on e bay. Not sure which ones I want.

Bruce

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
fourstringfletch said:
speaking of scoops, would a 4-runner limited hood (with scoop) fit a tacoma of the same year?
A whole 4Runner front clip fits with monor modification.
But thats alot of work just for the hood scoop.

Tim

·
Registered
984 Posts
If you're willing to do surgery to graft in a fiberglass scoop, you can get pretty much any kind of scoop you want from Unlimited Products:

http://www.up22.com/

There are also some limited options for complete (fiberglass or carbon fiber) hoods that have scoops molded into them...

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have a 4 runner with a hood scoop. Back when I had my older tacoma I looked at it closely, no way would it work. Fenders, grills , everything's different. About a month later I was at the 4x4 jamboree in vermont with my cruiser. One of the guys there had a glassworks hood with a scoop on his 97 tacoma. Looked sweet. Like anything glass the prep work to make it look good was probably a pain, but it sure looked nice on his rig.

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
mycirus said:
Anyone have hood scoops on your Tacoma? Would like to see some pics. There are single ones, double seperate ones and double attached ones on e bay. Not sure which ones I want.

Bruce

heres mine, its an entire replacement hood from glassworks www.glassworksunlimited.com

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
BMWTACO said:
no way would it work. Fenders, grills , everything's different.
I'm sure the guys at Mikes Off-Road will be distressed to hear that, they have a 2000 Tacoma thats been running a 2002 4Runner front clip for about a year now.

Tim

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
soundstudio315 said:
I got a single large lund scoop about a week ago...just waiting for it to come from the shop painted. I'll post pics as soon as I get it back.
Thanks, I would like to see it.

Bruce

·
Registered
264 Posts
tbplus10 said:
I'm sure the guys at Mikes Off-Road will be distressed to hear that, they have a 2000 Tacoma thats been running a 2002 4Runner front clip for about a year now.

Tim
I assumed he meant that the parts are not interchangeable individually, which is correct.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Correct
I called Mikes and asked them how it was done.
The shop manager is looking for pics they took during the swap, and graciously offered to do mine for $2200.
They used the core support, fenders, hood, bumper, and valence from the 4Runner. The Tacoma front clip including core support was removed, the new core support welded in and sheetmetal hung. The only "custom" work done was modified bumper brackets, stiffener panels on the fender wells, and some brackets for various items. The core support distance has to be measured on the 4Runner and welded onto the Tacoma at that measurement (sounded like they had hood lock issues). The back edges of the fenders had minor modification which he didnt elaborate on. They said it takes 4 days including paint. They've done 5 trucks 1 4x4, and 4 minis.
He said the hood alone wont fit, and the grill cant be mounted without the 4Runner core support, and fenders.
Sounds like more work than I'd want to tackle just for a hood scoop.

Tim

·
Registered
259 Posts
mycirus said:

Bruce
Ok I got my hood scoop back I like it. But how do I post pics? I'll keep searching for instructions, but any quick help would help. :)

·
Registered
259 Posts
mycirus said:

Bruce
Here's pics of mine, it wasn't permantely attached at the time still working on the placement plus it was a rainy day. but I like it. Let me know if you want different angles.

·
Registered
110 Posts
CuriousJ0N said:
now out of all these scoops, is the glassworks the only functional scoop?
glassworks is functional, yes. functional for blowing air on the plentum, nothing useful unless your carburated(spelling).

·
Registered
984 Posts
CuriousJ0N said:
now out of all these scoops, is the glassworks the only functional scoop?
I believer the GlassWorks 'scooped hood' is the only functional scoop unit out of the box. Otherwise you'd have to cut your hood during the process of doing a graft (e.g., of an Unlimited Products scoop or a 4Runner scoop...).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts