TTORA Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well the other day I finally replaced the stock horn from my 2000 Prerunner with a dual air horn setup from Pep-Boys ( $25 WOLO Kit) and it's nice and loud, but it's just a little to high pitched for my tastes. Is there anything I can do to make an air horn sound deeper, without spending more than a small amount of money.

P.S. I didn'y use the relay that came with the kit, I just wired the + to the stock horn wiring and - just grounded.

·
Random Dude
1,043 Posts
So the thing that determines the sound of the horn is the size and shape of the actual horns. Smaller horns resonate at higher frequencies and produce higher pitched sounds. So you need a larger in almost all dimensions horn. To actually resonate in this bigger horn you need more airflow, likely more than that little compressor will generate.

If you don't mind destroying your horn for the purposes of science you could try deforming the horns to see what happens :-\

I recommend just finding a big horn in a junkyard or surplus store. Then rig up a CO2 tank to it :)

·
Registered
0 Posts
I agree with Bob...I probably have the same "air horn" setup you have, and I also wired it the same...as Bob mentioned, you need a bigger horn itself for a deeper tone; which in turn will require a bigger air source...

The solution for me will be a locomotive horn connected to my CO2, but they are NOT cheap...about $350-500 and then you have to figure out where to put a 36"x10" horn assembly....I am thinking maybe under the bed; but it would be rock-bait for sure. Also, it would be illegal to actually USE such a horn in a city environment.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Angry Andy said:
I agree with Bob...I probably have the same "air horn" setup you have, and I also wired it the same...as Bob mentioned, you need a bigger horn itself for a deeper tone; which in turn will require a bigger air source...

The solution for me will be a locomotive horn connected to my CO2, but they are NOT cheap...about $350-500 and then you have to figure out where to put a 36"x10" horn assembly....I am thinking maybe under the bed; but it would be rock-bait for sure. Also, it would be illegal to actually USE such a horn in a city environment.

haha that is awsome!! train horn?! that would really scare the shit outa some people! keep us posted on how this goes i wanna see pics!

·
Registered
0 Posts
It is still all theory to me...but unless "The Dick" beats me to it, hopefully someday I will be able to blast fools outta my way...both on the trails and in da 'hood....the unknown factor for me is will the CO2 tank handle the air output of a locomotive horn...and if it DOES; will I still be able to air up with whats left of my CO2 at the end of a frustrating run with the NorCal boyz....

Anyone got a locomotive horn they want to send me????

-Andy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts