TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem with my 98 Taco having a bad vibration problem when leaving in 1st gear. It seems like it's coming from the rear end of the vehicle, i think anyway. It goes away after 20mph and is does not vibrate once past that. It is fine on the freeway, but it sucks in town at stop lights as i take off. I do have a 3" lift all around, my tires are wearing evenly, and my drive shafts seem to be straight.Any help is appreciated.

Sean

·
Administrator
18,271 Posts
83srtoy said:
I have a problem with my 98 Taco having a bad vibration problem when leaving in 1st gear. It seems like it's coming from the rear end of the vehicle, i think anyway. It goes away after 20mph and is does not vibrate once past that. It is fine on the freeway, but it sucks in town at stop lights as i take off. I do have a 3" lift all around, my tires are wearing evenly, and my drive shafts seem to be straight.Any help is appreciated.

Sean
Sounds like it is driveshaft related. Possibly a bad u-joint or center support bushing. As was previously asked, does it only happen under heavy accelleration? Check for excessive play in the center support bushing, then pull the driveshaft and check the u-joints. Did you drop the center support any from to the lift?

·
Registered
116 Posts
83srtoy said:

Sean
I had the same problem after my lift. I spaced my carrier bearing down, like ShowStop said, and the problem went away. This may or maynot fix your problem, but it took care of mine.
Brock

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well my clutch may be going out as i have a 2" Body atop of my 3" dOWNEY coILOVERS AND 35" MTR's. In the 20K miles with my 35" tires i havnt had a problem. I know my clutch may be going. It is mainly on heavy acceleration in forst gear, but if i'm in second gear below 20mph it still does it. I will check my u-joints more thoroughly and my center support bearing. Thanks for the reply

Sean

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wouldn't it show if the u-bolts were loose under all driving conditions? It is under heavy acceleration, well more noticebly anyway.

Sean

·
Registered
257 Posts
I dont mean to steal your thread but I vibrate too although mines when I slow down, and it appeared a couple days ago right after I put on my cornfed 3" lift with aal in the back, it does it around 15 and under and it feels like the back, maybe, I was thinking it was either the carrier bearing or alignment, have you aligned yours? Is the carrier bearing greasable? and the double cardan or cv or whatever, are you supposed to grease inside those one holes where you can see the socket like part? Those grease q's really arent important.... thanks

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yeti, yours sounds like the brake proportioning valve needs to be adjusted to account for the added distance from the rear axle to the frame. Either that or retorque your U-bolts, the axle could be shifting a bit as the binders go to work.

83srtoy, anything that is loose, or worn out will be more noticable under heavy acceleration. You are putting much more stress on the components when accelerating than just costing down the road. Think about riding a bike, when you first start up you are pedaling pretty hard. The force from your legs make the bike shift left and right. Think about all the pressure you are putting on the pedals, and therefore the chain. Now think about just gently rolling along on a straight street at a constant speed. Very little work needed from you to keep the speed, right?

Same thing goes with the rear axle on acceleration. The rotation of the driveshaft will turn the pinion gear which in turn causes the axles to rotate. I didn't really have to explain that, but all that force causes the rear diff to rotate a noticable amount, putting more stress and angles on the U-joint, and pinion. Just cause the driveshaft appears good when the truck is parked don't mean its still at that same angle during the heavy acceleration you are talking about.

·
Ban Count: 12
1,815 Posts
83srtoy said:
Wouldn't it show if the u-bolts were loose under all driving conditions? It is under heavy acceleration, well more noticebly anyway.

Sean
Not necessarily. My rear shook only when I was going slow, and mostly after hitting a bump. But it sounds different from what you are describing. I'd check them anyways if you are gonna be down there.

·
Ban Count: 12
1,815 Posts
83srtoy said:
AS far as spacing your carrier bearing down,how did you go about it? That may be my ticket.

Sean
Go to OSH or Home Depot or something and get a couple of 1"-2" spacers that are hollow. Then get a longer bolt that will fit where the stock bolts are. It's an easy fix.

·
Registered
279 Posts
83srtoy said:

Sean
Get underneath your truck and grab the driveshaft and twist it. See if there is any play at the universal joints. If there is a problem it will most likely be one of the bearing caps will pivot some allowing a little slop in the driveshaft when you twist it.

If the vibration is as bad as you seem to describe it is the most likely problem.

·
Long lost Taco Owner
820 Posts
83srtoy said:

Sean
Is your truck a regular cab or extra cab?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah you what you said was true. Thanks for the input.I was noticing i kinda have more than usual play in the diff when i turn the driveshaft by hand.

Sean

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah i looked at it and the u joints didnt seem to budge, but hey i may miss somthing in there still. I'm havning a shop look at it today then i'll go buy the parts and change them out my self. Thanks

Sean

·
Registered
279 Posts
83srtoy said:
Yeah i looked at it and the u joints didnt seem to budge, but hey i may miss somthing in there still. I'm havning a shop look at it today then i'll go buy the parts and change them out my self. Thanks, Sean
yeah it can be tough to crank them hard enough to see the play. Sometimes you get lucky and end up with a pile of needle bearings so you know what's wrong. lol...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts