TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 426 Posts

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all...

Listen there are a lot of you who are new. A lot of you who aren't - Troy and I want to let you know if we can help fix it... we will (for no charge if only we are involved). Thus we offer the HOUSE OF WRENCHING: (At 1-25 and HWY 119 in Longmont) If you need something done this winter and we are available, so is our garage. (Oh and pitch in some funds and I will cook to make it happen for ya and the begged help from CoTTORA!! :D)

What that means? Here is what we can offer...

First off - beds for you to stay if you travel a long way. Remember we are not charging :D - Just give back to CoTTORA - Weekends are Ideal!

This is what we have:
  • Most tools - lotsa metric too
  • 4 sets of jack stands
  • 2 creepers
  • 2 grinders
  • sawzall
  • jigsaw
  • Sander
  • lots o drills, bits, and what not
  • Hub bit
  • Most anticipated Yota bolts (Metric)
  • C02 tank - w/air tools
  • Small air compressor
Of course we can help with what you should order... Grade 10 metric :D

What would help (you can bring) /What we are working on getting/what we might have access too...
  • Large Air Compressor
  • Mig Welder
  • Plasma Torch
  • Bearing Presser (Presser in general)
  • Soldering Gun
What we have worked on - have familiarity with:
  • Suspension re-do
  • SAS rebuild
  • Building a CO2 kit
  • Crawler install
  • Clutch re-do
  • Replacing CV's
  • Power steering Replace
  • Fan and radiator replace
  • Alternator Replace
  • Tune up including spark plugs - replace
  • Troubleshooting locker issues
  • Troubleshooting Ring and Pinion Issues
  • Diff removal / install
  • Working on heater blower replace
  • Working on re-wiring doors
  • Working on body work
  • Working on chopping a 4 runner
Don't forget all the trail repairs that we and most of our CoTTora buddies are familiar with!

What we can't do: (But we have a full list of contacts who can help if you are willing to pay)
  • Gear rebuild
  • 1st time ARB install
  • Engine rebuild
  • Armour build
Please post up if you have a project in mind for this winter or tools or help to offer. We need it all! w00t! For Co TTORA

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh those of you who have worked with tha' house or wreching let us know if this has helped... LOL

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Sounds like a sweet idea.

I was just cleared from the Doc on Monday to get back to my normal life, meaning that i can drive and maybe even wheel.

Although thats a ways up north i can do what i can to help out. I can even offer some help down here. I just dont have a good place to keep downed vehicles unless they are inside my garage (and my taco is downed in there right now fro the next week or two). Stupid covenants.

I have:
110v Mig
lots of hand tools.
grinder
Sawzall
chop saw
BFH :)
Air compressor but no air tools :( yet
And some other stuff that i cant think of.

I can build some armor, provided that it does not envolve tube (unless someone wants to bend it the old fashion way) I have done some body work, lifted my tuck and can do just about anything else that i run across in a garage.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Kick ass!

My own project will be done in the next few weeks and I'll pitch in with this when I can...

I've got a few of the same tools as most guys...sawzall/drill/grinder/GMAW etc...here's some other stuff maybe others don't have, and my own skills:

-Buncha SAE taps
-Some metric taps (like the 12/1.25, or is it 1.75, on the late model frames)
-Spare no-frills welding lid
-Axle cradle mounted to floor jack (homemade)
-Inner oil seal press, for Dana style pumpkins (homemade)
-Big 2x500W shop light, kinda busted up but the lights still work
-Really massive fixed height jack stands
-Soldering iron etc...butt splices are for suckers!

-Basic vertical mill operating knowledge & most simple shop tools...vert/horz bandsaws, abrasive saws etc...limited CNC knowledge, it's been a while. I learned on an old belt drive Bridgeport.
-Basic all-around tech knowledge regarding early 1st-gen Tundras w/o VVTI
-Basic GMAW welding skills (I can do it on my box. Yours, maybe, maybe not)

I've also rebuilt the coilovers too many times, swapped the starter (not easy like your trucks, on the V8 it's UNDER the intake plenum), r&r'd the late model IFS front end plenty, and built up a rear end (not including the chunk) from a bare housing to a running axle.

If any of that is helpful, lemme know :cool:.

-Sean

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Your mom has a house of wrenching.

That is a great distance from my neck of the woods, but I might have to come up and watch some people chop and cut. Have a brew or 2. If you need and really tough stuff that needs diagnosis I work for "tips or parts"

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Awesome guys - We should have posted this up long ago... Now we can know who to ask for certain help.

I know our place is far from some of you but you are welcome to use (and abuse it) if you need to. LOL

And for all of you on here - THANK you for everything you have already done!

·
Registered
6,489 Posts
To throw my services out there I have done all sorts of custom audio and video if your into that! everything from custom sub boxe in my truck and new door speakers and a few extras cramed into a std cab. Ive also done complete rewireing of systems from the head unit to speakers. just one project with a friend was his paseo: 18 speakers (including 3 subs). yes, 18 speakers in a toyota paseo. and quite a few more. if you want custom audio Im the guy.

I just dont have a jigsaw currently. so bring your own and lets get it bumpin!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Make this a sticky so it dont get buried...just my :2cents: :welder:

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good point - will do Turky!

·
Registered
849 Posts
I'd volunteer help this winter if I'm not up in the mountains. Have about the same tools -welder but have arc and gas welding experience + some tig and plasma cutting. enjoy doing fab work but am out of a welder and shop right now. Haven't done anything but regular maintenence and trouble shooting + suspension mods. :welder:

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
aww, so you guys cant fab body protection? what kinda house of wrenching is that!? :p

Glad to see that someone is able, and willing, to help out cottora members on a regular basis. Im more than happy to help where needed, and probably, more so, watch and learn for a little, as im all too familar with alot of things on yotas just yet.

I am however, in the same boat as avs, and i know stereo installs inside/out... so if anybody ever needs help with that just let me know. I also know body work, and prep/paint work fairly well.

Ill be PM'ing a few of you here shortly, its time for some body protection for me... ill provide all of the materials, and we'll work a deal on money/beer, whatever.

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
See above - we do have access to benders and welders, and I'm sure the people with them would love to help out for a little cash.

Need to design up what you want and buy some steel!
(Note: the TrailGear slider kit is about as cheap as you can buy the steel for)

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
if you can deal with square sliders you can get the steel a lot cheaper than even the three legged reg cab sliders TG has.

I wasnt a big fan of square sliders until i put them up next to my truck, and they look pretty good after all. Besides they get beat up by rocks, so they wont stay perty anyways :)

My slider material cost me just over 50 bucks and they have 6 legs on an ext cab. That also includes an estimate on wire used, although it does not include cut off wheel cost for chop saw.

So, yeah, we can build you some armor.

I'll have picts of mine as soon as i get them installed.

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
my mom works at a huge distribution warehouse for steel/bolts/nuts/screws/fencing, etc. etc., so im going to have her price me some square tubing tomorrow.

Ive been doing some reading, and it seems there are ALOT of different widths/height/thickness types i can get (which is common sense lol) but my question, what would you guys recommend? I seem to have a bad habbit of nailing the lower corners of my bed :( Im definatly planning the "bed clearence mod" for my new bumper, and im planning to buy enough steel to do my rear bumper/sliders all at the same time.

·
Registered
291 Posts
This all sounds pretty interesting to me since I'm mostly stock. Got lot's of projects coming up. I have some stuff but probably not much more than you all have. But I do work for a steel fabricating company that buys pretty large volumes of steel. I can get steel for 10% over cost. That might be my best way to contribute.

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
My sliders are 2" square - the outer tube is .120" wall, the inner is .188" wall. The rear bumper is 2" square x.120" wall. The diagonal connectors between the inner and outer tubes are 1.75x.120" wall IIRC.

The .120" wall tubes are dented, the .188" are not.

1 - 20 of 426 Posts
About this Discussion
425 Replies
60 Participants
Avsfreak1234
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing