TTORA Forum banner

21 - 40 of 426 Posts

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I have acouple picts to share with the House.

Sliders: .125 wall, I was going to try .25, but it was too heavy, se we will see how the rocks like these for now.

Dovetail/ bed clearance, no bob: This turned out so awesome. I will get more picts to share. (This is only one i had on phone.)

Rear bumper and tire carrier: On the way!

Hawk,

I would be interested in purchasing some steel from/with you if that would be possible?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Hawk,

I would be interested in purchasing some steel from/with you if that would be possible?
I'll see what I can do. What did you have in mind? I deal with structural steel normaly but can check into tubing etc. It might make some sense to work on what everybody needs and try to make one big buy (or fewer bigger buys). A lot of this material comes in like 20' lengths, so if we can come up with some stuff that multiple peeps can use we might be better able to get the cost down.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
I'll see what I can do. What did you have in mind? I deal with structural steel normaly but can check into tubing etc. It might make some sense to work on what everybody needs and try to make one big buy (or fewer bigger buys). A lot of this material comes in like 20' lengths, so if we can come up with some stuff that multiple peeps can use we might be better able to get the cost down.
Roight. How about 1.75 OD DOM, 11g-14g?

2x4x0.120 box tube, 2x6 same, and 3x6 same?

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
i think judging by troys post, we should see how many people we can get to go for 2x2x.188 wall square tubing... i think thats what ill be going with for my rear bumper and sliders, id imagine id need about 25-30 feet to do it all with supports, and such.

planning to do bed clearence mod, with a wrap around square tube bumper, probably a built in hitch or at least 1 welded d-ring and protection tubing for the sides. Then my sliders which i think im going to do like troys on his runner, i like the design/idea behind it.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I agree that we should see what everyone needs. I have been buying everything in 24' lengths.

I assume i would need to come up your way to get it, so if we could get more stuff ordered from down here in the Springs area, I could come pick it all up. Although, i would need to arrange a trailer as 24' sections will not fit in my f150.

I have mainly been using 11ga (1/8") but i can always step up to 3/16" (in fact I am wondering how well the 1/8" will hold up, hopefully well)

I need some more 2x2,2x3, 2x5 and if someone doesnt need the full stick of whatever they order, i will take it off their hands if need be.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I haven't fabbed any sliders or skids yet, that would be fun. I kinda wanted to make something like a canback but didn't want to pay $700 for the original. Welding sliders would be easy.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I assume i would need to come up your way to get it, so if we could get more stuff ordered from down here in the Springs area, I could come pick it all up. Although, i would need to arrange a trailer as 24' sections will not fit in my f150.
Actually Myth, that might not be necessary. Most of our suppliers are in the Denver area. No need to truck it over here and then truck it back. I need to do some checking on who we would buy that kind of material from, see where they are and how to best handle that. The only way we would have to haul it from here is if we want to take something out of our stock, which I doubt we will need to. But if we do, I could always cut it to length in out fab shop. Got lots of good tools in there. Of course we buy from Salt Lake to, but I'll just have to figure it out.

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
OOOh the H.o.W. (House of Wrenching) Plot thickens! That is what I like to see... we had more expereince and connections here than we ever thought!

Time to plan the first wrench-a-thon weekend. I vote the 1st or 2nd weekend of Nov or last weekend in Oct...

·
Registered
291 Posts
I'm working on it, guys. I'm just a little slammed right now. But, yes we do have suppliers in Denver. I'll get some prices soon that I can throw out so you can tell me if this is worthwhile. I need to check with the boss, but I don't think he'll mind. I'll think of a way we can compile a list of what we want but I think it's a little soon to take off on that right now. Just think about your design and what you need. I'll be in touch.

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
got a quote today...

steel is NOT cheap lol, i knew this before hand... but DAMN.

2x2x.188 = $11.31/ft and comes in 20ft sticks.

i figure, 20ft will do basic sliders, or a rear bumper (some left over from the bumper)

however, she did not ask if theres price break for quantity, she will tomorrow and ill post more info as it comes.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
3/16 is for armor, use 1/8" on bumpers and no thicker...if you hit something at speed, all the impact transfers to your body (ie neck) rather than crumpling the bumper. The only thing that should be burlier is the points you know you're gonna drag on purpose, tow points, stuff like that.

If it needs to be stronger, there are better ways to localize support where you need it w/o overbuilding with 3/16 everywhere. Does anybody have a drill press? It's really easy to center a few holes in 1/8" box and then run a hole saw through, then sleeve it with some tube. No drill press or mill to center the hole both sides tho, and it'll be a pain in the ass. Even with a long pilot, if the pilot isn't dead nuts straight when you hit the other side it'll screw it up.

Just a suggestion! No need for 200# bumpers when there are enough engineers and fabricators around :D.

Oh yeah...I have a grooving iron too. All I have right now are 1/4" heads, tho. Great for siping and small grooves in MTs.

My brakes should be sorted out this weekend, then I can help & partake etc. with some of this stuff.

-Sean

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
i dont plan on making a front bumper out of something that thick, but im definatly going to do the rear bumper that thick all the way around i think... since i seem to have a bad habbit of slamming the bed corners, and dragging the rear.

Would .120 wall take the beating? i know it'll dent and such, but how bad exactly?

safer to build sliders with .188 i would presume? or would i be safe with .120?

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Actually your frame is the crumple zone on the tundra. Bumper will not change how the energy is asorbed.

And if your bumper weighs 200lbs you did somthing wrong. 130 with a winch is a heavy buggar.

3/16 is the indrustry standard for a quality bumper. Now where your strenght comes from is what grade of steel you use. Normal mild 3/16 still bends.

I'd just do more then 1/8 with you big fat truck

edit: my warn bumper is 3/16+powder

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
The inner rail of my sliders is .188, the outer is .120. I haven't really paid attention, but I don't think the inner rail is dented, but the outer is.

The bumper is .120 and has taken some HARD hits with only minor dents, however, the center section DID get bent (slightly) when I came backwards down Kenny's Climb in Moab. That's the full weight of the truck at like 10-20 MPH though!

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
i see, well that qoute i posted was actually for .120 wall... so i think ill be safe with that then eh?

i was just a little worried that about it bending/denting to the extent of causing body damage and not serving its purpose.

My moms work cannot get .188 for whatever dumb reason.

So i suppose .120 will have to do, and i guess i can always beef up the supports if needed? or maybe tack on an extra thin sheet along the bottom portions?

did you fab your bumper yourself troy? i havent looked close at it, but your frame should be close to the same as mine correct? Ill probably copy that design and throw in a few of my own little touches, if you dont mind, same for your sliders.

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Sean - I need to meet up with your grooving iron and do the ouside tread of my MT's before winter so I don't die. Tippy is all about 4 wheel slide in the winter!

Oh and Troy did do his own rear bumper. All Phase did his front.

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
Oh and Troy did do his own rear bumper. All Phase did his front.
sweet :thumbs:

i dont see why he wouldnt be ok with me doing a simliar design... ill wait til he chimes in and see if we can get something going, so i can get measurements and find out exactly how much tubing i need to do something similar.

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Troy is sitting on the couch. I leaned over and asked if he would help you mock yours up. He said "DUH!!!" (As in Of course he will).

21 - 40 of 426 Posts
About this Discussion
425 Replies
60 Participants
Avsfreak1234
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing