TTORA Forum banner

41 - 60 of 426 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
got a quote today...

steel is NOT cheap lol, i knew this before hand... but DAMN.

2x2x.188 = $11.31/ft and comes in 20ft sticks.

i figure, 20ft will do basic sliders, or a rear bumper (some left over from the bumper)

however, she did not ask if theres price break for quantity, she will tomorrow and ill post more info as it comes.
hmm....whats the name of the company? i've bought 10 ga. square tubing in 10 ft lengths from colorado iron and metal in fort collins for around $50 if I remember right. The price of steel should be about the same everywhere but over $150 sounds high but steel prices are like gas prices, sometimes they'll give you a discount on pieces that are already cut.

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
Oh and Troy did do his own rear bumper.
Well, sorta. I designed it and cut all the pieces and ground most of the welds, but I had people I worked with do the welding.

We can get together sometime and take some measurements and discuss what I would do differently.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Actually your frame is the crumple zone on the tundra. Bumper will not change how the energy is asorbed.
:p...other way round, not kidding...frame is the last resort. Been in an accident to prove it :rolleyes:...that's how I got the ARB :eek:. It's the same on pretty much every late model vehicle on the road, so the passengers don't take the hit. ARB even builds their bumpers to crumple a certain way, so they don't take out the tire (like my stock bumper tried to do) or the radiator (animal strike). If the frame bends, the bumper was built wrong. Tuff Country has that problem.
3/16 is the indrustry standard for a quality bumper. Now where your strenght comes from is what grade of steel you use. Normal mild 3/16 still bends.

I'd just do more then 1/8 with you big fat truck

edit: my warn bumper is 3/16+powder
Hey, I'm puttin' 'er on a diet :p...she's already lost a few hundred pounds! 3/16 everywhere, that'd be a big, heavy ass bumper :D. No need for that thickness everywhere, just where it counts...skids and sides. My bumper is trimmed down and plated on the sides with 3/16, if I smack the front on the rocks I'll regret it but I can bend it back to a point, and I know it'll do its job if I need it. The sides are a little more durable, I've drug them around a few times and they shouldn't be a problem if I total the rig on the highway. Better to build for not hitting the bumper at all if you can help it, just make it high and tight, with skids on the bottom and sides. The only thing larger than 1/8" anywhere on my bumpers is mounting brackets, and they're accordian folded too. Maybe once this all gets rolling we should start a body armor thread, something with how & why we all chose what we did. What we're talking about would probably make a helluva lot more sense in person :cool:. I hope that made sense, I'm typing in a hurry trying not to rest on a bruised freakin elbow...reading over it again I'm not sure it makes sense...oh well, fawk it. One of these days I'm sure you'll see the truck, and you'll either decide I'm not nuts, or you'll walk away shaking your head :p.
Sean - I need to meet up with your grooving iron and do the ouside tread of my MT's before winter so I don't die. Tippy is all about 4 wheel slide in the winter!
As soon as I'm done moving and get the new rear brakes on! It'll be a couple weeks.

·
Registered
291 Posts
OK peeps,
How does this look? Our company cost is:
2x2x11GAU (.120) = $1.47/ft (24' or 40' lengths)
2x2x3/16 (.188) = $1.96/ft (24' sticks in stock right now)
This is all grade B.

The company adds 10% for overhead. So what do think? Is it worth pursuing or not?

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
OK peeps,
This is all grade B.

The company adds 10% for overhead. So what do think? Is it worth pursuing or not?
hell of alot cheaper then the qoute i got! im in on it!

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
Well, sorta. I designed it and cut all the pieces and ground most of the welds, but I had people I worked with do the welding.

We can get together sometime and take some measurements and discuss what I would do differently.
sweet, sounds like a plan :thumbs:

·
Registered
849 Posts
OK peeps,
This is all grade B.

sounds very reasonable, I'd go for it.

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
So I got a call from Spindleshanks today - sorry Jer thought I would post this up. Sounds like we might have some projects getting lined up! Jeremy post up what you have in mind - and Nate looks like you need a bumper done. My projects are as follows (for Tippy only - troy can post his truck)

• Heater Blower Motor Fixed (Have to take apart dash)
  • Fix thumping from transmission
  • Get Hubs fixed and a set of the same kind on (I have a Warn on one side and Aisin on the other)
  • Replace Fenders (Have replacements ready)
  • Do Body Work
  • Cut Tippy's rear off - and put on canvas snap top
  • Paint Tippy Moab Camo
In there will be maybe some design work for her exo.. but that will have to come later.

Yeah the list is big but will be an all winter project. Starting with the heater blower motor. I need that fixed to drive tippy in cold weather. (No Defrost makes for a scary drive!!)

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
it's common for the plug on the back of the switch to melt. It usally kills the switch also. Pull the radio out and take a look

·
Registered
291 Posts
Yo Hawk-

How bout a quote on 2x4x11g? The other quotes look great, helluva lot cheaper than everywhere else.

-Sean
Sean,
I would be surprised to find that anyone else could get it cheaper. The company I work for is a pretty major steel fabricator and we have a great employee buying program. Check us out at myersandco.com just for grins.

I need to go back through all the posts and identify all the material sizes that anybody is intersted in and get prices on all of it at one time. It’s not good to bug our purchasing guy with lots of onsies and twosies.

Molly suggested I start a new thread on this so we can get it organized. I would appreciate it if everyone would give it some thought and post up with all the materials sizes you think you might ever use. Don’t be shy - it’s better to get too many on the list right now just to get some prices. Later we will pare it done to what we will order.

Troy and Molly have agreed to store the material at their place. Of course, everyone will have to pony up cash (probably Pay-Pal) to order and then we’ll go to work. There is going to be some scrap so we’ll probably have to charge a little extra to cover that unless people buy whole sticks. But we should be able to nest some orders in with others and minimize the scrap and drops. Stay tuned and we’ll get this done.

The Steel thread is here: http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82553

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
it's common for the plug on the back of the switch to melt. It usally kills the switch also. Pull the radio out and take a look
But I like my radio... when it works... :D When we get around to it I'll do that.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
I got a Drill Doctor yesterday. Holy drill bats, bitman! Er, I mean...

About five minutes to figure out how to use it and sharpen a test bit, another couple minutes to sharpen the bit I needed, and about thirty seconds to put an 11/32" hole through 3/8" laser cut mild steel (ie surfaced hardened) with a cobalt bit in a corded hand drill. This, after slowly, painfully, boring (not cutting) two holes the previous day and leaving bruises on my chest and shoulder from having to bear down so hard to get anywhere, not to mention such an off-angle hole I had to grind an angle on a washer to make it all freakin' work.

w00ts! Now I can sharpen and reuse the eleventy billion 3/8" bits I have floating around :rolleyes:.

...And so can you :D.

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
w00ts! Now I can sharpen and reuse the eleventy billion 3/8" bits I have floating around :rolleyes:.

We love you..... I can't tell you how many times Troy and I have needed something like that!

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #57

We love you..... I can't tell you how many times Troy and I have needed something like that!

In other news at the end of our club run at Tommy Knockers in Idaho springs while sampling the sample platter of brews... I am bringing a calender so we can schedule projects at the H.O.W (House Of Wrenching). So bring your ideas!

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Sort of. We borrow it from our friend pete. So This weekend at the club run/tommy knockers we'll nail down some weekends where we will borrow the welder and the plasma cutter.

41 - 60 of 426 Posts
About this Discussion
425 Replies
60 Participants
Avsfreak1234
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing