TTORA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay, no Detroit. Oh well. With so many tacomas on the road you would think that there would be a plethora of parts out there. Some of you might say "Well there are! Your just not looking in the right places!" And I would say "Bullshit!"

When I built a mustang a few years back I could go get performance cams and intakes from Pep Boys the same day. I went to a junkyard got a 9" out of an old Mach 1, and found 28spline 3:50 gears. I mixed and matched parts with both rears and it worked great on my 3-speed auto tranny. Now you might say 3:50 gears ain't nothing, but in that old gal no one could touch me from stoplight to stoplight (well, from a rolling start anyway).

Enough about that. That's my history. After all the tickets I decided to be a 4 wheeler instead. I love my tacoma. It has what I call "scootability". I don't have to mash the gas, she just scoots around like it ain't no thing. I don't want to give that up! I live in the city. A lot of turns and u turns. I do not want to give my open rear up to easily.

So, now I am entertaining the idea of doing something that is almost sacrilage. I am thinking I want to just lock up the front now!

What do you think?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
How about a Lock-Rite in the front only? I need the traction, but I am not willing to sacrifice performance.

·
Registered
741 Posts
what about an ARB for the Rear? i have a lockrite, and i don't mind it in the city, you just get a click and hop every once in a while.....

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't want to drop that kind of money on an ARB. Besides, the more working parts something has, the more prone it is to have something break.

Na bro, I don't want chirps, I don't want excess tire wear, I don't want my tranny grinding. I want smooth city performance. I want to be able to make u-turns. I also go to the farm, mountains, and the beach and I want traction when I need it. This is the cheapest alternative I can come up with that is going to give me all-around performance.

No one has knocked it yet, or told me I am making a big mistake.

·
Registered
137 Posts
The Shocker said:
How about a Lock-Rite in the front only? I need the traction, but I am not willing to sacrifice performance.

A member here in KY has a frontlocker only, and it has wrecked havoc on his transfer case! Logically it would make more sense to put a locker only in the front since with IFS one the front tires have the best chance of lifting from the ground, but from what I saw with Jeff's frontlocker only, and my rear locker only, my truck (somehow) performed a bit better and I think the drivetrain is more durable.

As far as lockers for the front go, you can do the lunch box lockers:

Lockright
No-slip
Aussie Locker
(all for the toyota 7.5" gear)

And the rear:
Lockright
No-Slip

These are automatic lockers, and I'm sure you know what they do and how they operate, but they are also the best "bang for the buck". My rear locker is the best device on my truck I bought so far, next is the tires.

I have an Aussie Locker ready to be installed in the front diff, but I have yet to do so. It's cold, wet (snow) and I'm really lazy when I come to workin on my truck in this weather!

Well that's my few cents about the issue.

·
Registered
137 Posts
The Shocker said:
I don't want to drop that kind of money on an ARB. Besides, the more working parts something has, the more prone it is to have something break.

Na bro, I don't want chirps, I don't want excess tire wear, I don't want my tranny grinding. I want smooth city performance. I want to be able to make u-turns. I also go to the farm, mountains, and the beach and I want traction when I need it. This is the cheapest alternative I can come up with that is going to give me all-around performance.

No one has knocked it yet, or told me I am making a big mistake.

Simple, put a LSD in the rear, and a Lockright in the front. It's better than open in the rear and you can still have your "city truck" drive ;)

·
Registered
741 Posts
Puckett said:
A member here in KY has a frontlocker only, and it has wrecked havoc on his transfer case! Logically it would make more sense to put a locker only in the front since with IFS one the front tires have the best chance of lifting from the ground, but from what I saw with Jeff's frontlocker only, and my rear locker only, my truck (somehow) performed a bit better and I think the drivetrain is more durable.

As far as lockers for the front go, you can do the lunch box lockers:

Lockright
No-slip
Aussie Locker
(all for the toyota 7.5" gear)

And the rear:
Lockright
No-Slip

These are automatic lockers, and I'm sure you know what they do and how they operate, but they are also the best "bang for the buck". My rear locker is the best device on my truck I bought so far, next is the tires.

I have an Aussie Locker ready to be installed in the front diff, but I have yet to do so. It's cold, wet (snow) and I'm really lazy when I come to workin on my truck in this weather!

Well that's my few cents about the issue.
i agree with you, i have my automatic locker, its a lockrite it doesn't cause as much trouble as people speculate. i say its great

·
Stinks like fish
986 Posts
The Shocker said:
How about lock the front and rear? With ARB's.
Open Open_ Locked/open_open/locked_LOCKED/LOCKED. Whatever you need.

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
The Shocker said:
A lockright in the front is going to make it hard to steer on high traction surfaces unless you do something like a twin stick.

Later,
....Mike

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks guys, you know I always liked Kentucky. I always liked the people from there too. Your no exception my friend.

As for California, maybe I don't want that state to fall into the ocean as bad as I used to, but If I ever see Barbara Boxer I'm kicking her square in the nuts!

Thanks, any more replies would still be awesome!

The Shocker

Attachments

·
Registered
137 Posts
Bryanccfshr said:
How about lock the front and rear? With ARB's.
Open Open_ Locked/open_open/locked_LOCKED/LOCKED. Whatever you need.

He's being cheap like me, but way more picky :p :

·
Registered
137 Posts
The Shocker said:
Thanks guys, you know I always liked Kentucky. I always liked the people from there too. Your no exception my friend.

As for California, maybe I don't want that state to fall into the ocean as bad as I used to, but If I ever see Barbara Boxer I'm kicking her square in the nuts!

The Shocker
Thanks guy, but I still want CA to drop into the ocean, but just the bottom 1/3 of the state! :D

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Puckett said:
Thanks guy, but I still want CA to drop into the ocean, but just the bottom 1/3 of the state! :D
You STILL won't be rid of us... My boat works just fine. But, you will lose Deaver, Camburg, Donahoe, Downey, Demello, Kartek.... hell, you will get a bucket and bail us out when you see what you have lost!!!!

·
Stinks like fish
986 Posts
Good luck. I am in the rear lockright and learn to coast the corners if you want cheap camp then. If the offroading is mildand the truck isn't getting stuck then a locker is overkill. Front lockers are the step into getting into big trouble and breaking things he probably doesn't want to have to fix and they really make a vehicle behave much differently offraod, turning raduius goes to crap and unless you can disconect that acle from the driveline it will take the joy out of offroad travel in tight situations. It's hard enough in open open mode when the driveline starts binding.

·
Registered
137 Posts
rojodiablo said:
You STILL won't be rid of us... My boat works just fine. But, you will lose Deaver, Camburg, Donahoe, Downey, Demello, Kartek.... hell, you will get a bucket and bail us out when you see what you have lost!!!!

lol, I haven't ever bought anything from any of them!! Fortunatly we can't race so we don't need the really good "go fast" parts from out there.

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
The Shocker said:

The Shocker
Yup. You can toss both Boxer and Feinstein in the ocean and I would not be sad.

I actually attended an anti-Boxer rally a couple years ago. We got a bunch of wheelers, made up a bunch of signs, and clusterfucked traffic around the capitol for an hour or so.

Later,
....Mike

·
Registered
137 Posts
Bryanccfshr said:
Good luck. I am in the rear lockright and learn to coast the corners if you want cheap camp then. If the offroading is mildand the truck isn't getting stuck then a locker is overkill. Front lockers are the step into getting into big trouble and breaking things he probably doesn't want to have to fix and they really make a vehicle behave much differently offraod, turning raduius goes to crap and unless you can disconect that acle from the driveline it will take the joy out of offroad travel in tight situations. It's hard enough in open open mode when the driveline starts binding.

Virginia, East KY, East TN, West NC is all mountains. Most the main TN guys have lunch box lockers front and rear and it REALLY is neccesary for alot of these trails. A locker isn't like a neat chrome bumper, or fancy light bars, no one knows they are there unless you tellem, or showem ;) . Who would buy a locker like that just to have one?

I don't know what kinda wheelin he does but he may or may not have known about the potential for damage and breakin with lockers, but I think he does now!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Mike, you clever son-of-a-gun. After looking at those pics you got me scrambling for my checkbook. I will make a donation. It might not be much, but I will send it in. I don't have a credit card, but I'll mail it.

As far as locking damage, I don't know the breakage and the potential. I do know that limited slips are total garbage and are out of the question. I'm racking my brain here. I have to make a decision and whatever decision I make I know will be permanant.

As far as knowing that I need a locker. I had a jeep once. I needed a locker once and I will never forget it. I was so embarrassed. I never want to re-live that trauma ever again.

I also want to make this clear. YOU CAN NOT HAVE A RESPECTABLE 4X4 WITHOUT AT LEAST ONE LOCKER. Some can say that is an opinion. I say it is a fact.

Everyday that my tacoma does not have a locker, a piece of me dies.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Bryanccfshr said:
Bryan my friend, I have no doubts that you are an expert wheeler, but I have no idea what the hell you are trying to tell me. :confused:

I get that a front locker is a bad idea, the rest I'm a bit fuzzy on.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Mike said:
A lockright in the front is going to make it hard to steer on high traction surfaces unless you do something like a twin stick.

Later,
....Mike
What's a twin stick?

1 - 20 of 96 Posts