TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my masterpiece so far...

I want some more options though. I have some ideas in the works for something a little more durable, but I'd like some input before I make anything.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, those are ok and I was thinking of just putting those on for a bit, but it doesn't seem alot better than my current setup in the long run. I think I may do some led strips and put them in a 1/2" x 1/2" square tube over the plate.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Did the Auto-Zone LED light bar that goes above the plate on mine. Save your money. Less than a year and only three LED's still working. Have a tube bumper on mine with two tabs on it that i mount the plate on. Was thinking of the "Plate Bright" LED bolts. But how much light do they put out? Who has what plate light and how do they work for you? And how long have they or do they work?

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Did the Auto-Zone LED light bar that goes above the plate on mine.
Save your money. Less than a year and only three LED's still working.
are U referring to this Pilot *tm LED license plate light ?

I've been running this for more then a few years...
every LED is still working fine.
and even put one on the trailer because it has proven to work well
and seems both durable and reliable for all that I have thrown at it..

another thing... several of my friends also run 'em...
and they have no issue either !? :dunno:

has even been submerged a few times... zero issues

Trailer...

I recommend these...
tho' they are a Lil' homo bling wit 'dat blueish/white light emitted. :supergay:

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
i used the on dell posted for a while. they held up well, but i could only find them in chrome, so i had to paint them black. i kept breaking the plastic mounts becuse the top of it is even with the bumper where i step up on the bumper so i would sometimes acidentally hit it with my foot and break it.

so after i broke my second one i decided to try another route. i used this:

http://www.oznium.com/led-modules

and cut a custom mount for it out of some sheet metal and just used metal shears to cut it. i like this one a lot better, its smaller, brighter, and 2 bucks cheaper. it is also water proof. i dont have to worry about the plastic mounts since it is sheet metal, if i bend it i just bend it back.

dont have any pics of it in the day or of the mount but this is how bright it is at night. only reason you cant see the whole plate is because it is so bent up

·
Registered
107 Posts
Running the same thing TacoDell is running. I remember when you posted the pictures of the light mounted on your truck. It was also the reason i bought it because of the good reviews the light got. Who knows might have got a bad one. Was thinking when i put it on the truck it would be no big deal if one or two LED's stopped working. Now i only have the three near the center working. We did have a ton of snow this year and tons of salt on the road. Did some salt spray get into the light and short it out? When i pull it off the truck i will take it apart and see.

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,202 Posts
I'm running these because they look like bolts, and nothing else. Lights up the plate enough that the cops don't care...

Originally made for motorcycles, you can get these at cycle gear or online. The manufacture drills a hole through the middle of the bolt, mills a section off the end and glues a LED in place. My last set lasted 4 years. It would have lasted a lifetime, but
I did not support the wires comming out the bolt. My lisense plate flips up and every time I flipped it up, the wires would bend at the end of the bolt. Some electrical tape and some electrical tubing solved the problem.

http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=&L2=&L3=&L4=&item=PBC_535607

-Phill

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Phill- where did you get those springy hinges? I almost welded little door hinges to my bumper because I could find any with springs that would work.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Hey Phill- where did you get those springy hinges? I almost welded little door hinges to my bumper because I could find any with springs that would work.
IDK where he got his. But alot of jeep wrangle YJ's have them factory. I got mine from a junkyard for $5.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
I dont have anything now, no law in TN you have to have your license plate lit up, but I do have one of these waiting to go on my tube bed (the toyota plate mount, not the whole thing)

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
I dont have anything now, no law in TN you have to have your license plate lit up, but I do have one of these waiting to go on my tube bed (the toyota plate mount, not the whole thing)

We actually have that on the rear of our 4 runner to carry the spare, and now we need to get some plate lighting. Problem is any wires will get pinched or worn out with time - of opening and closing the tire carrier. Is there any plate lighting that is battery powered LED? I know crazy request, but even if it lasted 3 months that would be fine...

·
Registered
201 Posts
I'm running these because they look like bolts, and nothing else. Lights up the plate enough that the cops don't care...

Originally made for motorcycles, you can get these at cycle gear or online. The manufacture drills a hole through the middle of the bolt, mills a section off the end and glues a LED in place. My last set lasted 4 years. It would have lasted a lifetime, but
I did not support the wires comming out the bolt. My lisense plate flips up and every time I flipped it up, the wires would bend at the end of the bolt. Some electrical tape and some electrical tubing solved the problem.

http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=&L2=&L3=&L4=&item=PBC_535607

-Phill
I have the same bolts. Found them online somewhere.

My BentUp bumper came with one of those flip up plate holders. It wasn't anything special though. You can find a similar one in any junkyard on a '70s model car that had the gas cap in the rear of the car.

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,202 Posts
Yep, mine came off an El Camino IIRC.

Molly, I think if you used some wires and wrapped it in electrical tape, and slid some corrugated tubing over it, it would definately alleviate the pinching/wearing out problem ;)

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Glad I saw this thread! I've been trying to figure out what I want to do light wise as well.

I also have a flip up license plate on my truck that I just put on over the hitch. I found mine at the junkyard off of like an old Caddy or Buick or something.

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
Yep, mine came off an El Camino IIRC.

Molly, I think if you used some wires and wrapped it in electrical tape, and slid some corrugated tubing over it, it would definately alleviate the pinching/wearing out problem ;)
I'll try... thanks! :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts