TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an 89 22re, with changing gears and light mods(exhaust, headers, intake) how big of tires can i put on this thing? would still like to go over the speed limit, and a little off roading capable. thanks

·
Registered
150 Posts
As big as u whant

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Ive got 5:29's and 35's. I could get away with 37's on the road I think.

·
Registered
58 Posts
ynot said:
i have an 89 22re, with changing gears and light mods(exhaust, headers, intake) how big of tires can i put on this thing? would still like to go over the speed limit, and a little off roading capable. thanks
Daily driver with 33's & 4.56's & can still toodle over the speed limit, once I get going. Hahaha. Looking @ 35's later this spring. Shouldn't be a problem. :D

·
Registered
429 Posts
I have 35's on my 85' Runner with a 22RE. I still have stock 4.10 gears. I can go 65 on the highway. It lacks power but it is working ok for me. I don't have the money to regear right now. :( I have read that for offroading you shouldn't go any higher then 5.29 gears. Anything bigger is prone to breakage with offroading abuse.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
Does that rig have the no front driveshaft mod that seems to be so popular on rigs with really big tires? It is hard to tell in the pic.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Andrew123654 said:
my bad, im an idiot.
Just silly, that's all. Hahaha. :p

TTORA Forum Index > Tech > Early Toyota Truck & 4Runner Tech

·
Smoked Out!
1,869 Posts
Renaud33 said:
I have read that for offroading you shouldn't go any higher then 5.29 gears. Anything bigger is prone to breakage with offroading abuse.
Do they make gears higher than 5.29 for the 8" toy diff? I thought that was the biggest and from what I've read the bigger the ratio the weaker the diff, so more prone to breakage.

ynot said:
As stated before you can probably go as big as you want to with the right amount of $$$. However, for stock toy axels you can only go up to 5.29(I think), and 35-37 seem to be the best combinations. Any bigger and you start losing your upper gears on the tranny. Once you go bigger that 37s I would worry more about how are you going to stop instead of how fast you can go,...lol Then again I am use to my civic which weights about 2700 lbs and stops on a dime. Oh and now I save parking space, I park my civic under my 83 toy on 35s :)

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Murderman said:
Does that rig have the no front driveshaft mod that seems to be so popular on rigs with really big tires? It is hard to tell in the pic.
I dont see one. I think thats the Yoke I see.

·
Registered
225 Posts
they make 5.71 for a toy 8", on my old 4runner i ran 38's with 5.29s on a worn out 22re and could run up to 75 before the vibrations got too bad.

·
Smoked Out!
1,869 Posts
twistytaco said:
they make 5.71 for a toy 8", on my old 4runner i ran 38's with 5.29s on a worn out 22re and could run up to 75 before the vibrations got too bad.

I stand corrected,... you could go higher than 5.29. Thanks. Oh and did you know where the vibrations where coming from? Pinion angle? Wheel balancing (not able to balance such big tires)? Just curious to know what makes the vibrations. Currently with the 35 on a tired old 22R I don't get much if any vibrations. I have gone about 75 or so.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
5.71's in an Toyo 8"....you are asking for pinion destruction; they are like 1 1/2" across.

I have been running a 300+ ft-lbs. Chevy 4.3 in my rig for many years without axle incident...why, 4.10's.

·
Registered
369 Posts
That truck is for sale if anyone wants it. Thats my friend Billy's truck. Its sitting at an offroad tire shop about 5 minutes from me.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Yes the truck in the pic posted doesn't have a front driveshaft. There is such a great angle from the front chunk to the transfer case that it would have to be something awesome to handle the angles and the 44's. All that needs to be done is to take lose the front axle from the springs cut of the leaf spring pads rotate the axle to turn the chunk upward and weld your leaf pads back on the axle in the new location.

·
Registered
369 Posts
It doesn't.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts