TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Veteran Newbie
Joined
·
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How do I know?

How do I know if my truck has the TRD package on it or not? Is there a something I can look for that will tell me if it is or not? I have a feeling that it does not have it. I think that the decals were but on there by the previous owner.

-Matt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
460 Posts
my advice is get ur vin code and call up ur local dealer and ask for parts, tell the man u bought this truck used and has trd decals but u do not know if it actually does. he will prolly type in ur vin code and tell u in just a few mins. the yota ppl are usually very helpfull about that kinda stuff.
RENEGADE76254
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
340 Posts
Maddog096 said:
How do I know if my truck has the TRD package on it or not? Is there a something I can look for that will tell me if it is or not? I have a feeling that it does not have it. I think that the decals were but on there by the previous owner.

-Matt
If you have a button to the left of your steering wheel that reads something like "RR DIFF LOCK", then you've got the TRD package.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,001 Posts
The TRD package on a 4X4 consist's of the following items:
1) Electronic locker, with corresponding axle and gears, switch located to the left of the steering wheel.
2) Progressive rate coils up front.
3) TRD stickers.
4) Bilstein shocks.

TRD package on a PreRunner has the following:
1) Electronic rear locker.
2) Progressive rate coils up front.
3) TRD stickers.
4) Bilstein shocks.

To confuse things more some PreRunners came without the E-locker, and some PreRunners and 4X4's had different brands of shocks.

The only true way to verify your truck is a TRD model is by the vin with the dealer, but if you have the locker it's a good chance the truck is a TRD. The E-locker was an option for 4X4's but was'nt added without the TRD package very often due to stand alone option cost.
Most TRD trucks on this board probably only have the E-locker and the stickers left from the package.
The TRD trucks are not "a superior truck" compared to the standard Tacoma, their advantage is the E-locker.

Tim
 

·
Veteran Newbie
Joined
·
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats why I was asking I do not have locker switch, which I thought came with the TRD package. So Tomorrow I will give my dealership a call. Thanks for the help.

-Matt
 

·
concussed
Joined
·
1,159 Posts
always trust the salesman-not.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
460 Posts
always trust the salesman-not
thats why i suggested contacting parts department, if u got a yota already they wont try to sell u a new one, just rip u off on parts for ur current one....
RENEGADE76254
 

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
Joined
·
18,421 Posts
elgecko said:
If you have a button to the left of your steering wheel that reads something like "RR DIFF LOCK", then you've got the TRD package.
No....the electric locker can be ordered separately from the TRD package. Just like you can buy TRD stickers from the dealer, slap them on the bed and call it a TRD model.

The ONLY way to know if it came with the TRD package is to call Toyota with the VIN.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,726 Posts
1.800.Go.Toyota

Maddog096 said:
How do I know if my truck has the TRD package on it or not? Is there a something I can look for that will tell me if it is or not? I have a feeling that it does not have it. I think that the decals were but on there by the previous owner.

-Matt
Like others have said, call Toyota, 1.800.GO.TOYOTA, for you guys in the states. Supply your VIN and they can tell you anything you want to know about your truck; gear ratios, the colour of your seats, time and date of manufacture, that time you pretended your friend was a wheel barrow in grade 3 (it's all on your permanent record), etc...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
340 Posts
ShowStop said:
No....the electric locker can be ordered separately from the TRD package. Just like you can buy TRD stickers from the dealer, slap them on the bed and call it a TRD model.

The ONLY way to know if it came with the TRD package is to call Toyota with the VIN.
True...rare, but true. Either way, the locker is the only part of the package that really counts...and maybe the 5 hp stickers :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,612 Posts
Maddog096 said:
Thats why I was asking I do not have locker switch, which I thought came with the TRD package. So Tomorrow I will give my dealership a call. Thanks for the help.

-Matt

If you dont have the locker there's not much need to worry about it too much. because 95% of us change the springs shocks and other stuff out for better stuff anyway.

BTW where ya at in ATL? Have you joined our chapter yet?
 

·
Veteran Newbie
Joined
·
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
STOMPER said:
If you dont have the locker there's not much need to worry about it too much. because 95% of us change the springs shocks and other stuff out for better stuff anyway.

BTW where ya at in ATL? Have you joined our chapter yet?

Yes I have. I live in Roswell.

What part of town are you at?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
438 Posts
Same thing happened to me. Bought an '01 used in March '02. Had the TRD stickers but no locker or Bilstein shocks. Wish I had the locker but shocks have been replaced anyway when I lifted the truck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,255 Posts
Maddog096 said:
Yes I have. I live in Roswell.

What part of town are you at?

Where are you in Roswell? I live off Sandy Plains and 92. Also since no one else has said it, if you have an E-locker the drain plug is on the left hand side of the diff housing.
 

·
Veteran Newbie
Joined
·
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ATLRoach said:
Where are you in Roswell? I live off Sandy Plains and 92. Also since no one else has said it, if you have an E-locker the drain plug is on the left hand side of the diff housing.
I live off of Houze Road which is about two minute from the intersection of Sandy Plains and 92. Thats awsome that you live there. I've had to have seen you atleast a couple of times. We have to meet up sometime?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
My neighbor bought a 94 4runner with a V6 Logo on it, and it was a 4 cyl. We were talking one day and he said that it was really sluggish for a V6. So we popped the hood and BAM! only 4 cyl's. He tried to fight the dealer about it, but he is still driving it today, so i don't know what happened.

Harley
 

·
Veteran Newbie
Joined
·
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Rosemore1 said:
My neighbor bought a 94 4runner with a V6 Logo on it, and it was a 4 cyl. We were talking one day and he said that it was really sluggish for a V6. So we popped the hood and BAM! only 4 cyl's. He tried to fight the dealer about it, but he is still driving it today, so i don't know what happened.

Harley


Now thats got to suck. But why didn't check under the hood before he bought it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,612 Posts
Maddog096 said:
Yes I have. I live in Roswell.

What part of town are you at?

Between Hiram and Douglasville.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Maddog096 said:
Now thats got to suck. But why didn't check under the hood before he bought it?
Don't know! I think it was the first vehicle that he bought alone!
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top