TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've lifted my old 79 Chevy, I also lifted a 2000 F150 that i'ved owned.

Never experienced in Tacomas, and I got one now.

Its a 97 4x4 V6

I see quite a few kits on ebay, 2.5" lifts, but I want to clear 33's on her.
Right now the truck has 31's with coil spacers on the front, and it works.

Not looking to spend tons of cash, beacause it is an older truck, and has 268,000kms on it. So I just want to have a decent lift, and clear 33's.

What about body lifts, does the frame show alot on these models? Anything negative about BL's on these tacos?

Help... Newbie when it comes to Taco's :)

Thanks,

Tweak

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
I'll help you out since you are new and all.

keep the coil spacers they are the shit, then get a huge body lift to clear the 33's, the wider the better on tacos(seach froggy style). you wont need to regear, you probly have 356's.

of course if you do search as suggested you might get some other ideas.

not so sincerely
miguelitro

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh relax you winy little bitches...
You sound worse than my ex girlfriend..

I've done searches and am looking for advice on how to do a relatively cheap lift on my older truck... Take a pill you post whores.

·
TTORA SoCal
1,976 Posts
Tweaker said:
Oh relax you winy little bitches...
You sound worse than my ex girlfriend..

I've done searches and am looking for advice on how to do a relatively cheap lift on my older truck... Take a pill you post whores.
Get an OME lift if you want to get coilovers, get a spacer lift if you want cheaper.
As far as the post whoring goes, if we reach 2000 posts in 6 months, we get a free set of 3" lift blocks for our trucks! As well as a free subscription to Better Homes and Gardens! There is ALOT at stake here man!!!!

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Well if it was me lifting my truck, I would use tools and aftermarket parts! but it sounds like your ego will be big enough to lift it on it's own so you are already half way there!

If you ever deflate that attitude and ego though, go with OME coilovers. They don't seem to sag as fast as most of the other lifts out there.

Also body lifts are great for mall running, but tear up vehicles fast when actually wheeled off road.

Oh! and another thing, that 97 taco isn't as old as say it would be if it was another manufacture. My 97 is still running strong and puts many other newer vehicles to shame. I would definitely say that if that truck "appears" to be old, then it is owner error.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for the knowledge and advice guy's. I'll look into the OME kits, and those links Purity posted...
Thanks again! :)

·
Registered
394 Posts
Bear said:
Well if it was me lifting my truck, I would use tools and aftermarket parts! but it sounds like your ego will be big enough to lift it on it's own so you are already half way there!

If you ever deflate that attitude and ego though, go with OME coilovers. They don't seem to sag as fast as most of the other lifts out there.

Also body lifts are great for mall running, but tear up vehicles fast when actually wheeled off road.

Oh! and another thing, that 97 taco isn't as old as say it would be if it was another manufacture. My 97 is still running strong and puts many other newer vehicles to shame. I would definitely say that if that truck "appears" to be old, then it is owner error.
Just a noob type question, but why are body lifts so bad?

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
they will tear through your floorboard/cause cracks.

they don't like to have the vehicle off the ground (as in jumping) or else they stress the cab out

and you are always having to tighten/retork the bolts.

With that said I have had one on my truck since 2000. the only saving grace I have now is that I have a roll cage that has stopped the body from sliding around on the pucks.

If you can find other means of lifting your vehicle without doing a body lift. I would strongly suggest going the other route. My case was an emergency situation, I had bought new tires that did not fit properly and I could not return them nor spend a lot more cash to properly lift the truck so I threw a body lift on over a weekend and put the new tires on. and the rest as they say is history!

In my earlier days with TTORA I helped/installed more than 15 -20 body lifts. If I knew then what I know now. I would have never done any of them.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
you could try and get some springs and shocks off of a newer truck so your truck wont sag as much. also, with newer shocks, which you probably need by mow, it will ride alot better. you can get a cheap kit from places like toytec. i had a 99 reg cab with 02 non-trd v6 struts and i could clear 33's without rubbing after i had some aftermarket wheels with a better offset. if you go with a body lift, go with roger brown's one at 4crawler.com you should be able to fit 33's with a 1" or 2" body lift. that is probably the most inexpensive way to get that amount of lift.

body lifts put added stress on the body mounts by raising the trucks center of gravity. i have not had any problems with mine at all and i have put my truck through some nasty stuff.

another thing, as far as seeing the frame after a body lift, it isnt as bad as on a chevy or ford. if you go with a minimal one, you wont really be able to tell the difference and it also helps out alot when you need to clean mud from your undercarriage

·
Registered
394 Posts
i just orderded a 1" form 4crawler.com

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
I've got mine from there.. .it's been on about 8 months... and I havn't had any issues with it... and I've been through some twisty frame spots... and not a single problem... it also has to do with how you wheel yer truck!!...

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
SalsaStep01 said:
i just orderded a 1" form 4crawler.com
A 1" will be fine. I had a bigger BL on my old Ford and hated the body roll. There were a few times when i was wheeling that thing and almost rolled it bc of that damn BL.

1" is fine...but you couldn't give me a free 3"

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Oh and you will prolly want to do a Pinch Weld Mod. Search and you should find directions on it.

Also, search for the deckplate mod.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Tweaker said:
Ok, I've lifted my old 79 Chevy, I also lifted a 2000 F150 that i'ved owned.

Never experienced in Tacomas, and I got one now.

Its a 97 4x4 V6

I see quite a few kits on ebay, 2.5" lifts, but I want to clear 33's on her.
Right now the truck has 31's with coil spacers on the front, and it works.

Not looking to spend tons of cash, beacause it is an older truck, and has 268,000kms on it. So I just want to have a decent lift, and clear 33's.

What about body lifts, does the frame show alot on these models? Anything negative about BL's on these tacos?

Help... Newbie when it comes to Taco's :)

Thanks,

Tweak
I had a 98 that I lifted. I installed the Rancho struts and springs up front and Add-A-Leafs in the back. That gave me about 2 - 2/1/2" of lift. I installed a 2" Performance Accessories body lift for a total of 4 - 4 1/2" of lift. It would easily clear 33/10.50's ON STOCK RIMS.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts