TTORA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am ashamed to ask this.. but i am doing the 4x4 conversion.. i have never worked on a tacoma 4x4 unit.. so i guess its not that bad. My question is ihow do i remove the cv from the front diff... see pic below

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
:saw:

hehe, no j/k im no help

·
Big tars, little bed.
8,407 Posts
With a crow bar.

Pop it out. May take more a little more force than you'd think.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Yep, a big pry bar is the ticket; it will pop right out with the right amout of ass on the pry bar.

·
Eats Own Boogers
1,489 Posts
It's only held in there by the expansion tension of a c-type clip. There should be just enough slop in it for you to be able to get a medium pry-bar into the space and lever it out. Some gear oil may come out too, so....

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Try two pry bars between the CV and the diff on directly opposite sides from each other. Might need some one to lend a hand for this tho since it's outta the truck and moving around..

·
Registered
764 Posts
i always use the pry bar that comes in the stock jack kit in the tacoma. just pry on the CV while rotating it till you find the right spot and it'll pop right out, no problem. this will be good practice for you too :D

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
That is called the tulip joint.
See those grooves toward the inside? They are there to use with a pry bar and as a place to put a bar or something to tap it back in when you replace a CV axle. It is retained with a self compressing C clip on the end of the axle end up inside the diff.

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
This is the kind of stuff I like seeing in newbie tech... actual tech questions! :kewl:

...Not "What kind of lift should I get?" or "Can I fit 33's with no lift?" or "What are the best kind of Nerf Bars?" . . . :xbarf:

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Along the same lines of this thread - I'm also doing my 4WD conversion...

...My 4WD spindles and Diff came off a 99 Tacoma that was wheeled a lot (KStacoma). They have normal wear on them. Cosmetically they don't look nearly as pretty as the diff pictured above. Is there anything I should do to my parts to clean them up before installing them, or does it not matter?

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
You could seal it up well, axle tubes and actuator and power wash it but you're probably just gonna get it all dirty again. Now if it were Dave Hale, he'd wash and wax it before and again after the install. LOL
Now is the time if you don't have a locker in there. I suggest the ARB.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Jamie - the only thing you need to be worried about on that diff is just the axle seals. I'd recommend you replace them before installing it. Other than that, it's not going to matter. Like Dick said, I'd probably just take it to a car wash and power wash it off.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
13 Participants
Interex
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing