TTORA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i recently bought an 06 double cab TRD and i love the truck. I am a surfer and the only disappointment ive had is that there are only loops in the back corners of the bed. Ive seen boards catch the wind and fly out of trucks while driving on he high way and i need some way to strap my board down. Would a day trip bag be enough weight to keep it in the bed, or can i drill holes in the front of the bed to strap it down? I concidered buying a cap but this restricts my uses and its not something I would like to spend that much money on. Thanks for any suggestions.

-Dave

·
Registered
217 Posts
There are D-rings you can get right from toyota that you can install at the front of the bed floor. Or you could just hop on ebay and pick up some cheapo stainless D-rings and install your own with a drill and a nice size backing plate. There are lots of opitions.

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
I just love what passes for technical in the late model folder.

Here's an idea. Go buy yourself some rope then join the Girl Scouts. Maybe they will slip some knot tying in between selling cookies and sewing. Go to the hardware store for the rope because the last time I looked TRD wasn't selling any.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Here is an idea for you...

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2286244730098983477fxNomY

All you need is a good welder, a plasma torch, a chop saw, an angle grinder and some time and creativity. Of course the 06 does come with a much less expensive option. You can put your factory bed bars ( if you don't have them, pick some up at any Toyota Dealer ) in the factory cargo track, go to you local surfshop and buy some rack pads, and you are in business. It is inexpensive, looks good, will accomodate short or long boards and won't take up space in the bed.

Did you really just ask how to rack a surfboard?

·
Registered
463 Posts

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Go on ebay, buy an extra set of the tie down cleats, they are going for about $40, than get 2 pieces of aluminu tubing, maybe $15 and some screws and make you own cross bars like the factory that are around $90+, when you are at the hardware store, pick up some pre slitted pipe insulation to cover the tubing, use zip ties or e-tape to hold the padding on...not as colorful as the pads you would pay a few bucks for, but functional on a budget.

but cell4souls rack would be the best, his is multipurpose and survived central america

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the suggestions, I think I have an idea of what I want to do. As for Dick Forest I realize I can jerry rig up a contraption with some simple rope. And some girl scouts? But i was looking for something a little more perminant such as cell4souls set up. Maybe i wasnt clear enough in my original post but thanks for the feedback.

-Dave

·
Registered
322 Posts
I don't even want to think about what Dick does at the Girl Scout meetings with his rope.

·
Going John Galt
31,844 Posts
masstaco7 said:
Hey guys i recently bought an 06 double cab TRD and i love the truck. I am a surfer and the only disappointment ive had is that there are only loops in the back corners of the bed. Ive seen boards catch the wind and fly out of trucks while driving on he high way and i need some way to strap my board down. Would a day trip bag be enough weight to keep it in the bed, or can i drill holes in the front of the bed to strap it down? I concidered buying a cap but this restricts my uses and its not something I would like to spend that much money on. Thanks for any suggestions.

-Dave
Demello makes a surf board rack...give him a call

·
Registered
66 Posts
cell4soul said:
Here is an idea for you...

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2286244730098983477fxNomY

All you need is a good welder, a plasma torch, a chop saw, an angle grinder and some time and creativity. Of course the 06 does come with a much less expensive option. You can put your factory bed bars ( if you don't have them, pick some up at any Toyota Dealer ) in the factory cargo track, go to you local surfshop and buy some rack pads, and you are in business. It is inexpensive, looks good, will accomodate short or long boards and won't take up space in the bed.

Did you really just ask how to rack a surfboard?
I plan on building something similar to your set-up. I was wondering how it is attached to the bed/frame. If you get a chance, could you post a few pics of just the nice bed/rack you built?

I plan on putting a couple of stantions on the rack to carry mu canoe and kayaks.

-Chris

·
Registered
639 Posts
Owsley, I apologize I never got back to you. I told you I would take photos when I returned from the Baja !000, and I never sent them. My camera got sand or something in it, so I had to send it in to be cleaned. I will try to borrow a digital and take some photos tomorrow; otherwise, my camera should be back in a week or two.
I don't mean to sound flakey, but I will get them for you.

·
Registered
66 Posts
cell4soul said:
Owsley, I apologize I never got back to you. I told you I would take photos when I returned from the Baja !000, and I never sent them. My camera got sand or something in it, so I had to send it in to be cleaned. I will try to borrow a digital and take some photos tomorrow; otherwise, my camera should be back in a week or two.
I don't mean to sound flakey, but I will get them for you.
No worries, man. It is going to be one of my winter projects.

·
Registered
66 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts