TTORA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to put 4.88's and an ARB front locker in my 05 Tacoma w/4.0L and I'm currently running 33's but will shortly be lookng into 35's. How do I minimize the risk of snapping CV's with this combination? When is the correct situation to use the ARB?

Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Are you serious about this question?

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ben90 said:
Are you serious about this question?
:confused: yes! After just grenading my rear ring and pinion I'm looking for all the tips/info I can get. I've heard (but don't know from experience) that Cv's are the weak link up front so I before I wheel this thing hard on the rocks I was hoping someone would pass along a little basic knowledge so I could avoid a little of the hard lessons like I usually learn by.

·
Registered
672 Posts
From what I have heard the front end in the 05+ are a bit beefier and stronger than in the earlier models... but since this model is fairly new, I am not sure how accurate that information is.

I don't have experience with front lockers... but common sense would dictate to use it only when absolutely necessary.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I was just kidding. and seriously, I thought you were joking as well. :D

I'm very interested in this topic as well since I've read more than enough positive reviews about the ARB.

By the way, how did you blow your rear ring & pinion? Just curious.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
ben90 said:
I was just kidding. and seriously, I thought you were joking as well. :D

I'm very interested in this topic as well since I've read more than enough positive reviews about the ARB.

By the way, how did you blow your rear ring & pinion? Just curious.
I wish I were, but I've never ran a locker up front. :eek: My third Tacoma after selling my baby (a 1972 FJ40) and I've never felt the need to build one up as much as this 05. But in all fairness to the newer models, I ask this one to do a lot more of a variety of things than any of my past Toyota's.

Blew my R&P going up a fairly steep hill (Hollywod Hill @ Bald Mountain) here's the link to that thread- "Another broke ring and pinion w/ pictures"

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
rogersja63 said:
I wish I were, but I've never ran a locker up front. :eek: My third Tacoma after selling my baby (a 1972 FJ40) and I've never felt the need to build one up as much as this 05. But in all fairness to the newer models, I ask this one to do a lot more of a variety of things than any of my past Toyota's.

Blew my R&P going up a fairly steep hill (Hollywod Hill @ Bald Mountain) here's the link to that thread- "Another broke ring and pinion w/ pictures"
I see. Well, for what I've read, the nice thing about the ARB is that you can turn it off (disengage) if you need to take a tight turn or going over crazy angles on rocks, etc.

I guess that would remove some stress off the cv's. But hey, I don't own an ARB, so i could be completely wrong about it.

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
First, there are MANY instances where the front locker will SAVE your CV's. It will allow you to minimize the throttle and wheel speed when wheels are coming off the ground and then slamming back down.

There are times when the locker will make things worse - combinations of suspension droop, turning, locked, and heavy on the throttle will spell bad news for your front end. Lift makes this worse by increasing the CV angles.

You'll be amazed at the "new" capability of the truck with the front locker. IMHO, it's more noticeable/significant than a rear locker!

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
RedRunnertc said:
First, there are MANY instances where the front locker will SAVE your CV's. It will allow you to minimize the throttle and wheel speed when wheels are coming off the ground and then slamming back down.

There are times when the locker will make things worse - combinations of suspension droop, turning, locked, and heavy on the throttle will spell bad news for your front end. Lift makes this worse by increasing the CV angles.

You'll be amazed at the "new" capability of the truck with the front locker. IMHO, it's more noticeable/significant than a rear locker!
I agree. The biggest things to watch for are binding.. you can feel it in the wheel.. with 35" tires it will be exagerated. I run 35s and front arb and basically I just listen to the truck. At full stuff full lock turn you increase your chances of snapping a cv. Fortunatley they are the weak link, and probably the easiest/cheapest to fix. Once you have a front locker carry 2 spare cvs while wheelin. Best advice I can give is to go try it out on some stuff you have already done. Use it when its not really necessary in a familiar area and you will get the feel for it. Every time I modify the truck it takes a little playin with it to get used to the new upgrade.

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
RedRunnertc said:

I'll second this. It made a huge difference in my truck. No bumping up over obstacles now. Just have to be smart with the throttle. Too much on a high-traction surface and you could have problems.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
AK98Taco said:
I'll second this. It made a huge difference in my truck. No bumping up over obstacles now. Just have to be smart with the throttle. Too much on a high-traction surface and you could have problems.
More good stuff! Anyone else?

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Pretty much anytime that you are CRAWLING in off-camber situations (especially on inclines). For just small obsticles, leave the diff open. As stated above, one of the only ways that you are going to snap a CV with the front locked is: 1. You've got too way too much throttle. 2. You are at full lock with your steering. I've seen this happen first hand on two seperate occasions (one of them being my own) when trying to hammer down on the throttle and turning the steering at full lock.

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
As for when NOT to use it (and the e-locker for that matter) is in low traction off camber situations. With both ends locked, you will slide down the hill sideways. With the diffs open, the non-spinning tire will help stabilize the truck.

The instructions come with a "Care and Use" book that goes over various situations and whether to use the lockers or not...

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
RedRunnertc said:
As for when NOT to use it (and the e-locker for that matter) is in low traction off camber situations. With both ends locked, you will slide down the hill sideways. With the diffs open, the non-spinning tire will help stabilize the truck.
I damn near rolled from sliding down a dune sideways because I couldn't regain forward motion, and this was before the front locker. The rear locker got me out without incident when I backed out of the hole.

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
rogersja63 said:
More good stuff! Anyone else?
I'll add that both of my lockers are automatic, so my only choice for disabling the locker is shifting out of 4wd. That's fine, though, as I can get through most stuff in 2wd low anyways.

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
One thing I do now with my front ARB (actually did it before as well with the rear ARB) is make sure the truck is not rolling when I engage the locker. I am not sure or not if it matters but I don't take the chance of any sudden jerks on the driveline as the lockers engage.

disclaimer* this is my first set of selectable lockers so I lean more towards the side of caution when engaging.

I also run open/open until I know for certain that I need lockers. and then sometimes only select the front to get "up" onto the obsticle

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Bear said:
One thing I do now with my front ARB (actually did it before as well with the rear ARB) is make sure the truck is not rolling when I engage the locker. I am not sure or not if it matters but I don't take the chance of any sudden jerks on the driveline as the lockers engage.

disclaimer* this is my first set of selectable lockers so I lean more towards the side of caution when engaging.

I also run open/open until I know for certain that I need lockers. and then sometimes only select the front to get "up" onto the obsticle

This is also some excellent advice:D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts