TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So.. my stupid, moronic a$$hole d!psh!t ex boyfriend works at a dealership that fixes up trucks like the Penske(sp?) moving trucks and such and while STUPIDLY washing my truck with a high power washer, some of the letters on the back of my truck came off, ripping the paint off along with it. Honestly im beyond mortified since I try as hard as I can to take care of my vehicles and have done pretty well so far.. To hide and cover it up he put a emblem over it for the dealership he works at and wasn't going to tell me until the next day until I got it out of him. I have NO idea how much this is going to cost to fix it and get the stupid emblem off the back of my truck. (i do NOT like GMC, sorry to those who do)

The emblems/letters on my truck used to say "Interstate Toyota Tacoma." I was eventually going to get a paint job anyway and have Interstate taken off, but with the way things are right now and getting laid off for stupid reasons im looking for a job so I can get my truck fixed up.

He said he used paint sealer (or something close to that) so it wont rust or chip off anymore but even then.. I want my truck looking just like it was when I bought it. Any ideas? Any help is appreciated!!

:( My poor truck is so abused.. and I haven't had it a year now...

I cant upload a pic of the paint chipped off since he put a emblem over it but here is a picture of the emblem anyway.

NEVER again will i let anyone touch my truck. DX

I think he also said he used glue or something on it. Not sure..

Someone said a blow dryer and dental floss/fishing wire and goo gone.. but I dont know if thats a reliable way to do it. Anyone else have any ideas? Or willing to make $30 to take it off for me?

Emblem:

·
Registered
430 Posts
heat gun will heat the glue and you should be able to remove it. blow dryer will work also, just be careful not to over heat the blow dryer and burn it out.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Instead of getting the tailgate repainted you might want to see if you can just find another tailgate the same color as your truck

Tapatalk

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
heat gun will heat the glue and you should be able to remove it. blow dryer will work also, just be careful not to over heat the blow dryer and burn it out.
Would it work even if he glued it on?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Instead of getting the tailgate repainted you might want to see if you can just find another tailgate the same color as your truck

Tapatalk
Would it be cheaper? I want to take it off anyway, but no place to put it at the moment.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Easy fix; remove emblems, repaint with 040 Super White (can do single-stage) and keep rolling.

As for glue, like Ike said; depends on what glue but 99% out there can be removed with heat/hair dryer action and floss/fishing line. There will be some glue residue to contend with, but that's handled with paint thinner (won't damage the paint, don't worry) and elbow grease.

Superglue will peel off easy; it's a really thin glue that doesn't hold as well as people want it to. If it was some 3M stuff, then it'll be fun to remove since their stuff is pretty stout.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Heat gun will work. It's not glued, there is an adhesive backing on the emblem. Just do it slowly and pry up on it slowly. You can use wd40 to help remove the adhesive. If you're ever in the Springs it takes all of 10 minutes with a light buff to make it non existent.

I have proper chemicals and such, don't use a razor blade or you may scratch the paint.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Heat gun/ eraser wheel. I have both if you need a hand. Of its glued and I doubt it is I have a buddy with a mixing bank or I have half a gallon of 040 left from my truck and the 636 I painted.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Heat gun/ eraser wheel. I have both if you need a hand. Of its glued and I doubt it is I have a buddy with a mixing bank or I have half a gallon of 040 left from my truck and the 636 I painted.
Please and thank you? D: Knowing me i'll rip all the paint off or something.. I hope it was a sick joke and he didn't chip paint off... :<

Whats a eraser wheel?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
haha ya right. I can stand paint chipped off, i just dont like it. I just wanna make sure it wont rust or anything like that.

I just want that ugly ass emblem off. DX

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Would it be cheaper? I want to take it off anyway, but no place to put it at the moment.
There is someone on the classifieds right now that is selling their tailgate

Tapatalk

·
Registered
397 Posts
My truck would be falling apart if it rusted that quickly. I have paint chips and scratches every where. I may need to rhino line the whole thing. :D

1 - 20 of 48 Posts