TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to build my sliders but do not yet have a hi-lift to test fit. Can someone advise me how far they should stick out ( say from the pinch weld ) in order to safely use a hi-lift? If I had a hi-lift to test, this would be a no-brainer...

It probably goes without saying that I'd like the sliders tucked in as far as possible, but I don't want the hi-lift banging on the door when used...
Not sure it matters, but I'm building 2x2 square tube sliders.

Can I get some advice on how far they should stick out?

It seems like this should have been discussed at some point, but I couldn't find anything..

-- I have an 06 Tacoma dbl cab.

Thanks!
AC

·
Premium Member
8,407 Posts
You dont want'em too close in, trust me.

Guesstimating around 6" from the PW with a 0º cant. Id go 6" out w/ any cant.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool, thanks!

Yeah, it's going to be a 0 degree cant because for now I'm just using the 2x2 square tubing for the slider. Nothing fancy, just function..

GOT COPE? said:
You dont want'em too close in, trust me.

Guesstimating around 6" from the PW with a 0º cant. Id go 6" out w/ any cant.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
i have a hi-lift if u wanna test fit to see if u have enough clearence. and i'm in garden grove so basically down the street from you

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, that would be great! Taking this to PM.

Thanks!

AZNPG said:
i have a hi-lift if u wanna test fit to see if u have enough clearence. and i'm in garden grove so basically down the street from you

·
Registered
49 Posts
I just open my door while using the high lift.. just in case it slips it wont jack your door.. :2cents:
anthonycoley said:
I'm about to build my sliders but do not yet have a hi-lift to test fit. Can someone advise me how far they should stick out ( say from the pinch weld ) in order to safely use a hi-lift? If I had a hi-lift to test, this would be a no-brainer...

It probably goes without saying that I'd like the sliders tucked in as far as possible, but I don't want the hi-lift banging on the door when used...

It seems like this should have been discussed at some point, but I couldn't find anything..

Thanks!
AC

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
You don't need a hi-lift to test. Just take a piece of tube and figure it out as if the tube was the hi lift. You wouldn't be able to jack the hi-lift up w/o some strong tackwelds anyway... and by that time, you already wasted tube.

Put the tube (hi-lift substitue) vertical, and space it out from your body to where you want it.. Make a measurement and you have your distance.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great idea.
Thanks!

yotamysta said:
I just open my door while using the high lift.. just in case it slips it wont jack your door.. :2cents:

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
it's a great idea untill the weather gets the better of your interror. ;) Just put a jacket between your door and the hi-lift. You'll be fine. If the jack slips out, a dented door is the least of your worries. I have had to drive off my hi-lift a couple times, if my door was open... it would have been dented from the inside out!

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I actually thought about that, but that will cause the slider to stick out too far, or at least farther than I would like. Since the hi-lift has a long lifting nose that points towards the truck I should be able to mount the slider closer the PW. Does that makes sense?

Thanks!

Wgasa84 said:
You don't need a hi-lift to test. Just take a piece of tube and figure it out as if the tube was the hi lift. You wouldn't be able to jack the hi-lift up w/o some strong tackwelds anyway... and by that time, you already wasted tube.

Put the tube (hi-lift substitue) vertical, and space it out from your body to where you want it.. Make a measurement and you have your distance.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
You don't want to use the hi-lift like that unless you have to. Put the hi-lift all the way against the slider. It is more stable that way, especially on square tubing.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks! I will definitely take your advice.

Just sent you a PM.

AC

Wgasa84 said:
You don't want to use the hi-lift like that unless you have to. Put the hi-lift all the way against the slider. It is more stable that way, especially on square tubing.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Not a problem. you have a PM back... any other questions, just ask. :)

Hi-lifts scare the hell out of me, but they are neccessary in this sport.

Side note:
When using the hi-lift to change tires off a bumper or slider. Carry a ratchet strap/chain to keep the suspension from drooping. It will make things easier and safer!

·
Premium Member
8,407 Posts
anthonycoley said:
Yeah, that would be great! Taking this to PM.

Thanks!
Great, we get a half decent tech question and you take it to PM.

Total irony considering the newbs that post no tech and wont take it to PM. Or search. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
Actually you don't want them tucked in too far. You want the sliders to pivot on sometimes and to fend you off large boulders and such.

To answer your question. With the truck sitting level, just hang a plumb bob so it just clears the bulge of the door or a scooch more then measure from the plumb line to the pinch weld, the frame or what ever and there is your answer.

I figured I'd take the "teach you how to fish" approach.

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,213 Posts
X2 Dick. The inside of the outer bar, is level with the door. This means the sliders stick out 2" from the door.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
anthonycoley said:

Thanks!
AC
mine (outside edge of the tube) are 15" from the frame and work great as a step as well. If you tuck them in too close you wind up with the hi-lift against the body.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No Tech in PM, just exchanged numbers so AZNPG could bring by his Hi-lift for test.

GOT COPE? said:
Great, we get a half decent tech question and you take it to PM.

Total irony considering the newbs that post no tech and wont take it to PM. Or search. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts