TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been wanting to put '01 taillights in my '99 tacoma. I was told that I could do this before on the other board, but I have a couple questions. I was talking about brighter reverse lights and was told that the Blazer 50 watt reverse bulbs wouldn't fit in the newer taillight housings.

When you put the newer taillights on the truck you are only using the housing right? I don't have to change out of the wiring harness? I was told all I need would be the housing and longer screws.

I'm wondering if I need anything else, because I would like to have those blazer bulbs instead of adding fog lights to the rear.

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
i think that all you have to do is switch the lenses, that allows you to use the 50w blazer bulb but have the new buble style lens

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Tacoma4Life06 said:
I have been wanting to put '01 taillights in my '99 tacoma. I was told that I could do this before on the other board, but I have a couple questions. I was talking about brighter reverse lights and was told that the Blazer 50 watt reverse bulbs wouldn't fit in the newer taillight housings.

When you put the newer taillights on the truck you are only using the housing right? I don't have to change out of the wiring harness? I was told all I need would be the housing and longer screws.

I'm wondering if I need anything else, because I would like to have those blazer bulbs instead of adding fog lights to the rear.
I just did this conversion, but with 02 lights on my 99. You just plug them in. Additionally, I took the lens off and trimmed the housing at the outside of the reverse bulb location, you'll see what I mean when you look at it. I am using the stock bulbs from Advanced Auto and it was a huge improvment from the 99's tailights, I can see great with my tinted windows now in the dark, which was nearly imposible before. I also had to buy some longer screws to install them since they are a deeper light, but they were like a buck at Lowes. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
264 Posts
drabnor said:
i think that all you have to do is switch the lenses, that allows you to use the 50w blazer bulb but have the new buble style lens
I don't think that works very well. I couldn't get the new lenses to seal on the old housings, so I swapped the whole assembly.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Tacoma4Life06 said:

Where did you get those bulbs from--How much were they?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was wondering though - Did you use the complete taillight or just the outer part? I was just going to use the whole taillight instead of taking them apart and trying to get them to seal back again. Just wondering though.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can buy the 50 watt reverse bulbs at Advanced Auto or Auto Zone. They don't have to be the blazer type. I think that's just a brand that a lot of people use, but around my town most use Advanced everthing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Worth a try

I was wondering if by any chance you still had your old lenses form the 99 tacoma? If you do would you be willing to part with them or maybe just the pass side lense? Thanx, Paul

1 - 8 of 8 Posts